Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Auto Trans Oil Change - no more gear - Help

Old 04-08-2012, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Trans Oil Change - no more gear - Help

Hello. I change my transmission fluid yesterday on my 2008 Sahara Diesel Auto transmission. I changed also the 2 filters. I followed the write-up you can find here :
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ission-service

It is a real pain to get the 3 bolts in the rear of the pan... I am lucky to have a garage lift.
I put the 4 quarts of Mopar ATF+ oil and check the level as it is stipulated in the write up....
But now : no more gears. I can put in D - R - N - 2 - 1..... but you don't feel the transmission engaged.
I have check the shift cable. Everything works. I have check all the external sensors. Everyhthing there and tight.
I disconnected the battery for a night long in order to have the system reset. This morning I connect the battery.... but if the engine start alright, the transmission doesn't put in gear.

Is anybody has encountered this problem ?
My last solution will be to call a haul to my Jeep resseller.

Thanks if you have any idea.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what made you decide to change the fluid ? a problem or routine maintenance ? how many miles on your jeep ? recheck the level after you started it ? if not check again its probably low
Old 04-08-2012, 11:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by carolinajk
what made you decide to change the fluid ? a problem or routine maintenance ? how many miles on your jeep ? recheck the level after you started it ? if not check again its probably low
After a 10 days off-road raid in Portugal where I have encountered several times the "Hot Oil" warning, the transmission oil has to be changer.
My JK has 48 000 kms (30 000 miles). I have checked the level several time (I poured 6 Liters (6 quarts)).
Old 04-08-2012, 11:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

raid? lol ....did your old fluid smell or look burnt? any debris in the pan ? sorry to ask so many questions jus trying to get an idea .did you drive it back home ? any symptoms after it cooled down ?
Old 04-08-2012, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by carolinajk
raid? lol ....did your old fluid smell or look burnt? any debris in the pan ? sorry to ask so many questions jus trying to get an idea .did you drive it back home ? any symptoms after it cooled down ?
Thanks for your help. No special odor (I can't smell anyway) : color red brown. No debris in the pan. Really everything fine. except that no gear want to engage. My jeep is still on my lift in my garage. A friend bring me back home. The only sympton is that later today the engine default light came up.
If you want to see what is my garage (I am in a club) goto http://www.univem-paris.com. You'll see plenty of nice 4x4 trucks and old jeeps.
Fab
Old 04-08-2012, 11:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I changed mine with the help of another member. It took 6.5 quarts to get the level back up to full. Did you measure how much you removed? Are you using Mopar fluid ATF+4, did you use a Mopar transmission filter and replace it exactly the way the old one was installed? I'll bet you are low on fluid if all else is ok.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mike Davis
I changed mine with the help of another member. It took 6.5 quarts to get the level back up to full. Did you measure how much you removed? Are you using Mopar fluid ATF+4, did you use a Mopar transmission filter and replace it exactly the way the old one was installed? I'll bet you are low on fluid if all else is ok.
I didn't measure how much i removed as I took a shower of it !. I used the Mopar ATF+4. use the tranmission filter exactly the way the old one was installed... I check several time the level of fluid.... It seems perfect.

I'll check with the Chrysler computer on tuesday to see if any error codes... It is very unusual. No Jeep forum report that kind of problem.
Thanks for your help.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:04 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by fzapos
I didn't measure how much i removed as I took a shower of it !. I used the Mopar ATF+4. use the tranmission filter exactly the way the old one was installed... I check several time the level of fluid.... It seems perfect.

I'll check with the Chrysler computer on tuesday to see if any error codes... It is very unusual. No Jeep forum report that kind of problem.
Thanks for your help.
When you check the fluid level, is the transmission fully warmed up, with the engine running?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
When you check the fluid level, is the transmission fully warmed up, with the engine running?
Yes. The engine was running and in temp. I did also put the handbrake on, press on the brake pedal and put in gear : N for 2 minutes then D for 30 sec, 2 (30sec), 1 (30sec) then R (30 sec), P (30sec) and repeat the process several times.

I did that several time. so weird.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:48 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by fzapos
Hello. I change my transmission fluid yesterday on my 2008 Sahara Diesel Auto transmission. I changed also the 2 filters. I followed the write-up you can find here :
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ission-service
The write-up you followed is for the 42RLE transmission. You have the 545RFE transmission, behind the diesel engine, correct?

Looking at the fluid/filter change data in the factory service manual for the 545RFE, 5 quarts are required to refill the transmission.

Also, it gives a warning about the primary filter seal on the oil pump:
CAUTION: The primary oil filter seal MUST be fully installed flush against the oil pump body. DO NOT install the seal onto the filter neck and attempt to install the filter and seal as an assembly. Damage to the transmission will result.

That's contrary to how it's done on the 42RLE, as in the write-up you used.
I've never seen a 545RFE, so I don't know if this is as much a factor as the book says it is.

Anyway, you may not have enough fluid in it, (which is the most common reason for not shifting properly), or the filter may have been incorrectly installed.

Quick Reply: Auto Trans Oil Change - no more gear - Help