Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Auto Tranny gearing down

Old 08-02-2015, 03:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Tranny gearing down

Guys, I'm wondering if anyone else noticed this with their 2014 wrangler with auto. When I'm driving in "D" and say currently in gear 5 and start a small hill, the transmission will drop to 3rd gear for about 2 seconds, then jump back up to 4th gear.
Why do the tranny do that I'm wondering. Why don't the tran just drop to the gear it needs in the 1st place?
I know if I use the stick and change the gear myself, I can easily do the slight hill in 4th gear, but if I let the tran do the gearing, it will drop to 3rd for a few seconds, then jump back to 4th for the hill.

Anybody see this before, or even notice it?
Old 08-02-2015, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Peddle
Guys, I'm wondering if anyone else noticed this with their 2014 wrangler with auto. When I'm driving in "D" and say currently in gear 5 and start a small hill, the transmission will drop to 3rd gear for about 2 seconds, then jump back up to 4th gear.
Why do the tranny do that I'm wondering. Why don't the tran just drop to the gear it needs in the 1st place?
I know if I use the stick and change the gear myself, I can easily do the slight hill in 4th gear, but if I let the tran do the gearing, it will drop to 3rd for a few seconds, then jump back to 4th for the hill.

Anybody see this before, or even notice it?
The computer that controls the transmission in the Jeeps definitely likes them to rev. Even with a V8 mine does similar shifting. Also when I move the stick to the right for manual it will stay in a higher gear a lot longer on a hill. I have my speedometer & odometer set correctly which is really important. My wife's 2012 shifts the same way.

Quick Reply: Auto Tranny gearing down