Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Auto Questions

Old 06-25-2012, 07:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Questions

Just picked up an 08 Rubicon tonight. It has over 90k miles...I was looking to change trans fluid/filter and transfer case fluid this weekend. Not sure if this has ever been done. Already read the how-to on project jeep. Anything special I need to know.

Also, I believe I have the dreaded warped timing cover leak, I know there's a TSB but would the dealership still correct this with the mileage? I'm sure they will try to say its the rear main
Old 06-25-2012, 07:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

I would get a new pan from the dealer, (about $12) and have a drain plug welded in to make subsequent fluid changes a lot easier. I have some more detailed pics of the drain plug if you are interested.

Of the bolts on the driver's side of the pan, one requires sealant on the threads.

The bolts on the rear of the pan, over the exhaust cross-over, are hard to get out, and even harder to reinstall.
On mine, I installed allen head bolts, and used an allen wrench with a ball on the end. It makes it unnecessary to get a straight shot on the bolts.

Regarding the leaking cover, clean everything with brake cleaner, and see if you can see where it starts from. I did this and traced it to a leak from the pourous timing chain cover.
There is a TSB for it. It won't be covered for free, though, unless you have an extra warranty.

Last edited by ronjenx; 06-25-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up an aluminum trans pan with extra capacity a year ago... Can't remember the company but if you google 42rle finned aluminum transmission it should come up, comes with drain plug and a threaded bung for a gauge sensor. Lube locker also makes a nice trans pan gasket! No more gooey atv! No leaks and cooler temps!

Quick Reply: Auto Questions