Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Anyone using a Hoist-a-Top?

Old 09-06-2011, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KiowaGuy
The nice thing about the Harken and some of the other premade lift systems verses what I was going to build is that they have a built in safety that if the line is dropped it locks the rope so no issue with your top ending up down without a jeep under it.
My winch provides the same safety feature (automatic brake). Less than $30 on eBay
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-769266622.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	207668  
Old 09-06-2011, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

I didn't want to sound as though I was dinging any of the home made lifts. Most of them are spot on and I looked at every one I could find posted on here before I bought the Harken. I originally intended on mimicking one. In all actuality the very one posted up after my post. I'm about to deploy again very soon and just needed a quick fix that was simple for my wife and wouldn't take a great deal of time to throw up. Every bit of time spent on a project or making a run to Lowes is time not spent with the family. By no means did I intend to sound as though the others were inferior just the opposite in most cases.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KiowaGuy
I didn't want to sound as though I was dinging any of the home made lifts. Most of them are spot on and I looked at every one I could find posted on here before I bought the Harken. I originally intended on mimicking one. In all actuality the very one posted up after my post. I'm about to deploy again very soon and just needed a quick fix that was simple for my wife and wouldn't take a great deal of time to throw up. Every bit of time spent on a project or making a run to Lowes is time not spent with the family. By no means did I intend to sound as though the others were inferior just the opposite in most cases.
Oh I know :-) I was just saying that if you buy the right stuff, u can have the same features as the ones online
Old 09-06-2011, 06:39 PM
JK Freak

I am not sold on the lift. I am waiting for someone to come and say "my top warped to shite over the summer". I built the hardtop dolly that you can get plans for on the forum.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wired
I am not sold on the lift. I am waiting for someone to come and say "my top warped to shite over the summer". I built the hardtop dolly that you can get plans for on the forum.
That's why I did a shelf under mine. Lift with hoist, then it sits on a flat carpeted surface for the summer. And it's a great spot for the back seat and freedom panels.

Quick Reply: Anyone using a Hoist-a-Top?