Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Anyone test drive new 2012 Wrangler?

Old 09-18-2011, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove one also. BUT i lovin it.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just traded my 2007 Unltd for a 2012 3 days ago. I must say it is quite an improvement (on-road so far only), and we loved our 2007. Tough to give up all the nice mods, but fun to look froward to a new proj.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Week number one!!! WOW!!!

Just received my 2012 unlimited rubicon...wow, this thing has some serious grunt! The sound inside the cabin when you are accelerating hard is music to my ears. It sounds like my old mustang GT (we hear what we want to hear...lol) With the 6 speed, it will actually push you back in your seat. Not GT power, but for a stock Jeep unlimited rubicon, this power-plant will no longer embarrass you getting to your favorite trails! As a matter of fact, you can actually pass on the highway without shifting out of 6th.
In city driving, at 2500rpm, the real power starts kicking in and as you shift up, there is definitely a neck kick back gear after gear! Luv it!

First impressions;
1-The ride is firm but feels right compared to my old 2008 rubi and a world of difference from my 2010 sahara...as expected, it jumps around and you feel like your hopping from lane to lane...IT's a JEEP...part of the fun experience!
2-The steering feels loose at highway cruising speeds like usual.
3-Motor, torque and internal sound (city & highway) is a world of difference from 2010 and older. Huge huge difference! Tell your passengers not to drink coffee or put on makeup as you accelerate and shift gears...it feels like a Jeep on steroids with the added benefit of a sweet grumbling sound...not too loud just deep and throaty...it now torques and sounds like a match for its looks!
4-interior Is a nice upgrade from all my previous jeeps (i did not have a 2011 which is the same interior)
5-Tan leather heated seats with modern day side air bags...sweet and fairly comfortable
6-Nav is basically the same, small details so no huge difference to mention except for steering wheel mounted controls...nice touch but muddy hands will tell if this is a good thing long term..so far, I like
7-6speed is smooth but 6th gear is a little awkward to slip into...takes a little getting used to
8-Side mirrors...surprise surprise...electric! Wow...welcome to 2012! I was not expecting electric adjustable! I wanted heated and surprise we get both!
9-clutch is high and takes some getting used to
10-wheel spacers with dick cepek mags gives it a nice beefy stance, however, the wheels stick out about 1.5 inches...so mud and salt scratches will be the norm
11-steering controls and in dash info center is a nice upgrade with useful information
12-new towing capacity yet to be experienced
13-trails, rocks, water...yet to be experienced (have not had a chance to lock up the diffs, disconnect the sway bar and test out 4 low at a crawl)...grrrrr....I have an urge to crawl over a H2...lol
14-Fuel economy...hmmm...I am only 50, so when I grow up and stop trying to drag race other cars and small trucks I will let you know...lol
15-0 to 60...really? who knows, who cares...I find it fast enough when you can screech and maybe even smoke the rear wheels from a standing start without too much effort, Good enough for me! It's a friggen Jeep! Note: you will give the civic, yaris and alike a run for their money...you will see them in your mirrors! Wow...I can not believe I am actually bragging about acceleration from a 4000+lbs Jeep....fun factor much improved
16-long term performance and trail capabilities...to be continued'

So far, I absolutely love it (mind you, I've loved all my Jeeps...quirks and all...however, this one is by far the best one that I have owned to date! I have had plenty of CJ, YJ, TJ, JK) The power difference is amazing!
My personal opinion; Anyone considering upgrading to a 2012 should go for it! One draw back, I have a feeling I will burn through my rear tires as this new Jeep (cabin sound, power and real life torque) tends to make me want to accelerate hard and actually spin the wheels...omg, this is a friggen Jeep, what am I thinking! Lol

I should be taking her into the trails in a couple of weeks, I will let you guys know how she performs compared to my older jeeps.
Once again, As far as fuel economy goes...can not compare yet (only one week old and 700km) as I am still in awe and driving her like a punk in dad's new sports car...lol

Hope this simpleton non scientific post helps anyone considering a 2012...if you have the money, you're looking for modern day amenities and have no time or desire to build your own and you are not willing to wait for an SRT, Diesel, Hybrid, Electric, Nuclear powered next generation rocket-tank-submarine Jeep...Life is short, so In my humble opinion, go for it!

Ps; Thumbs up to the Jeep R&D and marketing teams! You guys are listening and delivered the market a dramatically improved yet true to it's sole Jeep!

2012 Rubicon Unlimited
6speed
Soft top only - no need for hard-top even in the coldest of winters (save your money)
All options... heated leather seats side airbags, nav, climate cntrl, tow package, yada-yada-yada
1 in spacers with Dick Cepek mags
Remote bi-directional remote

Jeep #10 over 25yrs...this Jeep is by far the best!
My daily commute so unfortunately, no big mods in store....

Quick Reply: Anyone test drive new 2012 Wrangler?