Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Anyone still have a stock suspension

Old 04-21-2012, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone still have a stock suspension

I found this picture in the installation manual for a lift kit. Wondering if anyone with a stock suspension AND bumpers can verify this. If so I've lost about an inch from the coils I put in. :\ Note this is the front coils as seen from behind. Although measuring from the front should provide the same numbers. Only looking for the coil measurement.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stock lift height (small).jpg
Views:	382
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	307274

Seems like a very easy way to measure and should be far easier than measuring to the fender since we all have different tires.

Once again, looking for the stock springs with stock bumpers. If they've been trimmed that's fine, just want to avoid having it thrown off by winches and heavy duty steel bumpers.

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is off my stock '08 JKU:

Center of shock bolt to bottom side of shock tower: 18" exactly (to center of lower bolt)

Top of spring perch flat to edge of spring tower at back side: 8 3/4"

Not sure if you're comparing to a 2 vs. 4 door, but my measuerments are lower than what's in your pic. HTH.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gr808JK
This is off my stock '08 JKU:

Center of shock bolt to bottom side of shock tower: 18" exactly (to center of lower bolt)

Top of spring perch flat to edge of spring tower at back side: 8 3/4"

Not sure if you're comparing to a 2 vs. 4 door, but my measuerments are lower than what's in your pic. HTH.
Thanks! I've got a 2 door but in theory it should be the same no matter if you have a jk or a jku. They use the higher rated springs for the heavier weight of the 4 door so that they end up the same.

Your measurements are more of what I was expecting. I originally did the fender to ground measuring when I changed my springs and ended up with roughly 2 1/4 inches of lift and yet according to the picture I only have 1 3/8's lift. Thank you for the response. Hoping a few more people will chip in so we can get a good average.

So, bump for anyone else who can chip in their measurements.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

Shock measurement 19", spring measurement 9 3/4.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone else care to take a look at what they've got?
Old 04-22-2012, 11:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When I added a winch and bumper I lost some height. When I changed to JKUR springs it came back to stock height exactly, so I'll call my JK "stock" for the purpose of your question. It measures exactly 18.5".

With stock springs and no winch/bumper it also measured 18.5". With stock springs and the winch/bumper it measured about 17.25".

Last edited by Freewill; 04-22-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone else out there? So far we've got two that match up pretty well and one that doesn't.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

18.25, 9" on a 2DR JK X model runnin' a RR XHD stubby, no winch.. at least for the moment.. installing Smittybilt xrc8 now. Cheers!
Old 04-25-2012, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fstopme
18.25, 9" on a 2DR JK X model runnin' a RR XHD stubby, no winch.. at least for the moment.. installing Smittybilt xrc8 now. Cheers!
Thanks! And I've got the same bumper (plus center hoop) and the RR winch. Lots of clearance and greatly improved my approach angle.

Quick Reply: Anyone still have a stock suspension