Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Anyone have axle seal problems ??

Old 11-19-2008, 05:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone start a poll. I'm wondering how common this really is?
Old 11-19-2008, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07Ruby
Hate to say it but just replacing the seals won't cut it. They replaced both mine....leaked again, replace both inner axle shafts....leaked again. Finally, today, the dealer ordered a whole new axle assembly. All under warranty thought so that the good news. Here's some pics of mine leaking.

Thanks for the pics!

I have posted them below.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Glad it wasn't just me!

Had my right-front replaced last year. Then again about 2 months ago, when they also replaced the inner axle. Then again last Monday!

if this thing leaks again, I'm demanding a new assembly. This is crap!

I posted a pic of my leak in the Poll thread. Can post it here also if people would like, but it's a big pic!
Old 12-16-2008, 08:10 PM
JK Freak

I may have the same problem. I have not noticed leaking, but I also park on the street. Was looking at the front end this morning and there's a rubber seal that appears to have walked out from the end of the axle tube, passenger side. Drivers side is still intact. Taking it in tomorrow for 30k service so i'll have them look at it. Did any of you notice the seal had walked out at all? I'm a little confused / concerned why there is no oil lol.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine never had the seal stick out from the tube.

They finally got it right the last time it was in. Been a while with no leaks, so I put my offroad tires/wheels back on for the winter. Sure improved traction vs. the stock doughnut spares it came with!
Old 12-17-2008, 06:14 AM
JK Freak

hmm..I guess I'll find out later today. Keep ya posted.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:55 AM
JK Freak

Who takes the Jeep in for regular service at the dealer and also had no problems with them performing this repair???
I'm seeing a common trend that if you take your Jeep in for service they are more likely to give you a break when you take it in for warranty work.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:40 AM
JK Newbie

I had the same problem with about 7k miles on my '07 2dr X... It was easy to see as there was lube splashed all over the inside of my wheel well too... Another fantastic Chrysler quality assurance failure... I wish someone else made Jeep... Maybe when GM takes over, the quality will improve...
Old 12-18-2008, 04:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had an '01 WJ in the past rear pass axle seal failure twice.. the JK so far, has 28K on it, no problems, no leaking. I have heard of instances where the factory overfilled the diff's, that can cause the seal to leak. Which is why when I install my solid diff covers I am marking where the OEM fill plug was and am going to fill the solid to the same level, no matter how much diff fluid it does or does not take.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add me to the list. Passenger front seal is leaking all over the steering knuckle..

Quick Reply: Anyone have axle seal problems ??