Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Anyone have any ideas?!

Old 07-01-2015, 01:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have any ideas?!

2013 unlimited rubicon. 28000 miles.

While driving in a rough city road (engine had been running maybe five minute) suddenly the instrument cluster goes nuts.
RPMs reading is surging by 2k RPMs
Oil light flashes on and off
Traction control light flashes on and off
HOT OIL message displays on odometer
I pull over , and shut down. Mechanically NOTHING appears truly wrong. I'm sure something electrical has caused this. It's currently at dealer... Who... Is baffled because after sitting for a day when the started it it's back to perfectly normal. As in no messages flashing.
It also threw out some engine codes all of which were " lost signal with" codes. They can't seem to figure out what to do to try to fix it now. Anyone have ANY good ideas or been through this?! Appreciate any help.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:51 PM
JK Newbie

This happened to my 12. Turned out it was my battery telling me it was dying. Happened only once and within a few days it was completely dead. It was covered under warranty though.

Good luck with this.

Originally Posted by TMPEARSON

While driving in a rough city road (engine had been running maybe five minute) suddenly the instrument cluster goes nuts.
I pull over , and shut down. Mechanically NOTHING appears truly wrong. I'm sure something electrical has caused this. It's currently at dealer... Who... Is baffled because after sitting for a day when the started it it's back to perfectly normal. As in no messages flashing.
It also threw out some engine codes all of which were " lost signal with" codes. They can't seem to figure out what to do to try to fix it now. Anyone have ANY good ideas or been through this?! Appreciate any help.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Almost 100% sure you either have loose battery connection or your battery went bad. Others, including myself have reported these symptoms. The cause is as I and another have indicated. Check connections. If tight, replace battery. Anybody out there with 2012's it now about time. The batts don't last.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TIPM. Lol
Old 07-01-2015, 03:00 PM
JK Newbie

Well it's a 2013. All battery connections are good and tight. Can I get battery tested? I know it's under warrenty. It's at dealer and they are confused as well. I'll talk to them tomorrow and make this suggestion.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Most auto parts stores will test your battery for free...in hopes of selling you a new one. It does sound like the battery.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TMPEARSON

Buddy just ran into this the same instrument issue on his 2012 2dr Rubi the other week.
"Pulled the codes. Electrical issues. Gauge cluster keeps loosing connectivity with everything else."
He took it to the dealer and turned out to be that BS Cylinder head issue. They replaced the flawed head and updated computer firmware.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Agree with the others. If you are sure the connections are all good, have the battery load tested. There have been many complaints on the factory battery not lasting very long.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:15 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you all for the advice, jeep customer support (via phone) seems to also suspect battery. I'll call dealer today and let yall know what I find out. Here's hoping!
Old 07-03-2015, 06:52 PM
JK Newbie

Ok yall. Dealer cannot find anything wrong with it. They cleared all the codes and it's running fine... Then to top it off they had a porter cruise around in it trying to make it happen again! So now they just want to give it back to me without having done anything but plug it in and erase codes...... Knowing that the warrenty will be running out soon..... I'm sure there's no coincidence there right? Now I'm just not sure what the hell to do. I WANT my Jeep.... But want it fixed......arggggggggg

Quick Reply: Anyone have any ideas?!