Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Anyone else have a layer of darker stuff in the bottom of the coolant resevoir?

Old 07-06-2009, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else have a layer of darker stuff in the bottom of the coolant resevoir?

Just noticed one day when the sum was right approx 2" layer sitting in the bottom of my coolant resevoir. I took it to the dealer and thought it was something from the engine? and replaced the resevoir under warranty. I guess that really didnt fix the problem, I dont even know if there is a problem. JK runs find, I have always had the random dry start knock once and a great while. but feel that thats seperate problem. Anyone else notice this funny layer?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default nobody

Originally Posted by toyboxx
Just noticed one day when the sum was right approx 2" layer sitting in the bottom of my coolant resevoir. I took it to the dealer and thought it was something from the engine? and replaced the resevoir under warranty. I guess that really didnt fix the problem, I dont even know if there is a problem. JK runs find, I have always had the random dry start knock once and a great while. but feel that thats seperate problem. Anyone else notice this funny layer?

Nobody has heard of this or seen this? anyone? Take a flashlight and go check your resevoir.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you take the tube off of the bottom to see what this stuff was? Every once in a while in production the manufacturer doesn't get all of the sand out of the block. It circulates in the coolant system and eventually collects somewhere. Sometimes it gets out into the reservoir. Most times it collects in the bottom of the radiator.

Did any more collect since the reservoir was replaced? Did they flush the entire system or just replace and refill the reservoir?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default yo

No I didnt check to see what it was, and I regret not checking, I would of liked to save a little bit of it and do some investigation, now they swapped it out and I have no evidence!

I'll check if more accumulated and post back.

Also I'm not sure if they did a full flush or not.

It was a darker cloudy layer about 1.5 or 2" .
Old 10-11-2009, 11:09 AM
JK Jedi

I have the same thing and have no idea what it is.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Take a picture of it and post it up. You might be helping someone else.

Flash
Old 10-11-2009, 08:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default nothing sinister

COMPLETELY NORMAL- All engine coolant has dyes and minerals, the heavier particles will settle in the overflow bottle. Repeated heat cycles from the engine operation will ''cook'' a layer of particles to the inside of your plastic bottle.....I've replaced 200-300 of these bottles broken in accidents over the last 35 years, invariably there is a ''sludge stain'' in the lower part of the bottle. Change your coolant yearly and scrub your overflow bottle with a bottle brush at the same time.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:42 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
COMPLETELY NORMAL- All engine coolant has dyes and minerals, the heavier particles will settle in the overflow bottle. Repeated heat cycles from the engine operation will ''cook'' a layer of particles to the inside of your plastic bottle.....I've replaced 200-300 of these bottles broken in accidents over the last 35 years, invariably there is a ''sludge stain'' in the lower part of the bottle. Change your coolant yearly and scrub your overflow bottle with a bottle brush at the same time.
I thought the coolant was good for 60K according to the manual?

Also if this is normal why are more people not posting this? Can you check yours and see if you have it?
Old 10-11-2009, 09:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have it- the coolant is still good, the staining is a byproduct of operation....what I meant was if it bothers you change your coolant every year- not that the coolant had lost it's effectiveness...
Old 10-11-2009, 09:46 PM
JK Jedi

Thanks for the headsup Tinman!

Quick Reply: Anyone else have a layer of darker stuff in the bottom of the coolant resevoir?