Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Anybody use "never seize" on lug nuts?

Old 07-27-2009, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do it the old fashioned way, put a couple drops of engine oil on the threads, just a little. Never had a problem with this method.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:58 PM
JK Newbie

Only use a touch of white(lithium)lube for chrome nuts. Not supposed to use ANY lube on studs, throws torque off.

What actually holds nuts tight is the stretch put on the studs by PROPER torquing, just as the correct way to tighten a main cap nut is by bolt stretch,not torque.

Detroit Diesel uses stretch for head bolts.. a machine pulls the bolts 1mm while a worker installs the nuts finger tight, machine releases studs and heads are tight
Old 07-28-2009, 05:13 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ockgator
Only use a touch of white(lithium)lube for chrome nuts. Not supposed to use ANY lube on studs, throws torque off.

What actually holds nuts tight is the stretch put on the studs by PROPER torquing, just as the correct way to tighten a main cap nut is by bolt stretch,not torque.

Detroit Diesel uses stretch for head bolts.. a machine pulls the bolts 1mm while a worker installs the nuts finger tight, machine releases studs and heads are tight
Stretch bolts are in a class by themselves.
Wheel lugnuts and bolts and how torque is applied are not included in that class.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Put a lite brush on every Wheel stud i have ever owned..

MI winters blow
Old 07-28-2009, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tangonater
RyanC,
I had that question myself. I was not sure if greased lugs torqued to 95 ft/lbs were in any danger of getting loose vs non greased.
Not really if its not "over done" your fine...

always TQ my lugs to 100ft/lb anyways.

and ALWAYS recheck the lugs after driving for about a day. always found them to loosen up a little talking like 3-5 ft/lb but never hurts to check
Old 07-30-2009, 08:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I've always used Permatex Anti-Seize on my wheel studs for the sheer reason that when I have a flat its way easier to remove the lug nuts with the tire iron as opposed to the air tools I use at home. If you like fighting with frozen or stripped out lug nuts late some night by all means just skip this step and have fun...
Old 07-30-2009, 08:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Zylfrax791
Personally, I've always used Permatex Anti-Seize on my wheel studs for the sheer reason that when I have a flat its way easier to remove the lug nuts with the tire iron as opposed to the air tools I use at home. If you like fighting with frozen or stripped out lug nuts late some night by all means just skip this step and have fun...
Periodically removed, properly torqued, I have never had a problem using the factory tool kit on the road without the use of anti-seize.
Anti-seize applied to the threads won't hurt, though.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

I have owned about 20 cars and never used never seize
Old 07-31-2009, 07:59 PM
JK Freak

We use it on all our race cars. We are taking the nuts off and back on several times a weekend and never have any problems. We check torque on the nuts several times a day though.

FWIW.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Anybody use "never seize" on lug nuts?