Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Any other "07"s need piston rings

Old 11-23-2010, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Run2Ga
I'm definitely consuming oil. Have ~50K on my '07, change oil myself every 5K, and have been down as much as 3 quarts. Seems like its getting worse, I'm now checking regularly between changes and topping off as needed. Anyone have the repairs done, and what did they cost? Did the piston rings resolve the consumption? I know I'm way out of warranty on this.

Also, what are the other ramifications if the piston rings are bad? Lower MPG? If its too much to replace them, why not just keep topping off between oil changes?
Did you notice any consumption at the first oil change? I noticed that you said it's getting worse, I'm just curious as to when you started noticing it. I asked the OP and he said slightly but now it is getting worse as well. If you did I wonder if it means people like myself that have no loss to speak of in between changes are lucky,...........for now.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2010 Rubi UL. Its my dd and has 14000 miles on it. I run about 75mph to work and i am stuck in traffic most of the time on the way home. I use 5w20 Mobil 1 full synthetic and change it myself every 3000 or so. No oil loss whatsoever. I'm curious if its the earlier years that are having issues or if there has been any 2010's that have had excesive consumption.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by benny
Did you notice any consumption at the first oil change? I noticed that you said it's getting worse, I'm just curious as to when you started noticing it. I asked the OP and he said slightly but now it is getting worse as well. If you did I wonder if it means people like myself that have no loss to speak of in between changes are lucky,...........for now.
I never paid too much attention since I was changing 2 vehicles at the same time and dumping the oil into the same tank. I didn't check levels very often between oil changes either. About this spring, after I had it for 3 years, I changed oil on only my jeep and the tank was way too light. That's when I started noticing it and monitoring. It may have been happening before, but I wasn't paying careful enough attention.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by angermgmt
I have a 2010 Rubi UL. Its my dd and has 14000 miles on it. I run about 75mph to work and i am stuck in traffic most of the time on the way home. I use 5w20 Mobil 1 full synthetic and change it myself every 3000 or so. No oil loss whatsoever. I'm curious if its the earlier years that are having issues or if there has been any 2010's that have had excesive consumption.
All that I have noticed in these threads is the earlier models. A guy on another thread said his 2011 lost an engine at only 116 miles but that sounds like a freak incident to me. he didn't go into details and he has only posted 4 times in the 3 years he has been a member, that's too long to wait to find out what happened.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Run2Ga
I never paid too much attention since I was changing 2 vehicles at the same time and dumping the oil into the same tank. I didn't check levels very often between oil changes either. About this spring, after I had it for 3 years, I changed oil on only my jeep and the tank was way too light. That's when I started noticing it and monitoring. It may have been happening before, but I wasn't paying careful enough attention.
I guess it's a good thing that it wasn't consuming it at an alarming rate before you noticed it then.
That's why when people say that Chrysler or any other manufacturer says 1 qt for every 1000 miles is acceptable I say BULL DOODY! A lot of people these days are so busy that they don't even think to check their oil in between changes. If people were losing a qt for every 1000 miles most people would be out of oil by the time they have it changed. We all know what happens to engines with little to no oil.
I check it religiously, but I'm a bit old school that way, my wife says I'm even obsessed with oil levels and tire pressures.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:26 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

I am adding this to the engine oil threads:

The engine number is located on the rear of the block, just below the cylinder head, on the drivers side. There will be two sets of numbers. The first set is the engine number, the second set nearby is the last 8 digits of your VIN.

The second character in the engine number represents the manufacturing plant.

S = Saltillo
T = Trenton

Check your engines. Maybe we can see if the plant location has anything to do with engine failures.

Last edited by ronjenx; 11-23-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I am adding this to the engine oil threads:

The engine number is located on the rear of the block, just below the cylinder head, on the drivers side. There will be two sets of numbers. The first set is the engine number, the second set nearby is the last 8 digits of your VIN.

The second character in the engine number represents the manufacturing plant.

S = Saltillo
T = Trenton

Check your engines. Maybe we can see if the plant location has anything to do with engine failures.
I guess I'll need a mirror for that.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well oil consumption test round 2 went about the same as round 1. They told me it only uses 1/2qt per 1000mi which, to them, is acceptable. Last month they told me when I went in to start the test that my PCV valve was bad, which was causing the oil usage because the tube was "full of oil". They wanted 100 bucks to install it, but I opted to do it myself for 10. I installed it that evening, following a write up on here, and I noticed when the old valve popped out, it still rattled inside, which made me think it wasn't broken in the first place.
Anyway, I took it in today and when they told me it was only using 1/2qt, they also said I still needed a new pcv valve. I told them it was brand new, and that I installed it myself the same day they told me about it. So then, after about another hour, they said the tech claimed it wasn't fully seated.
I'm pissed now because I feel like with their excuses they took away my ammunition for complaining to chrysler corporate. This oil consumption test accomplished absolutely nothing. Even if I complain to chrysler, I'm just going to have to do another test, where they'll have another bullshit excuse. I change my oil myself and it uses well over 1/2qt per 1000. I measure it out every time...I just don't know how the hell to prove that to them.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

CAM24,

If you followed the write-up, and used a socket to seat the valve, it was fully seated.

Not being fully seated will not affect how it operates, however.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NebRedrocker
Did you check your oil at anytime between changes and add any if you were low or did you run it this low for a while?
I did check it between oil changes and had to add 3 to 4 quarts depending on when i checked it I had a quart of oil and a funnel under the hood next to the battery that's how bad it was. This is why I had them start the oil consumption test.

Bulletproofjk my oil consumption test started with an oil change done by the dealer and a return check of the level ever 500 miles 1st check it was down 1 1/2 quarts... guess I failed the test!

Went to the dealership this morning after getting off duty to get my loaner vehicle, the JK was sitting there hood open, engine disassembled waiting on the extended warranty adjuster to show up and approve the repair since it will be over $1000 dollars. Just wondering if this will happen again in another 28,000 miles? Took a few Pics of what it looks like if some can tell me how to get them on here I'll post them

Quick Reply: Any other "07"s need piston rings