Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Any other "07"s need piston rings

Old 08-30-2011, 04:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suge94
So my brother-in-law just got his jeep back. $3010 for a j&p reman motor and installation.
That sucks that he had to pay, but that seems like not a bad price for parts and labor. I assume the dealer didn't do the work? At least the j&p will probably be better then the factory engine.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Anyone seeing these problems on the 2010 wranglers yet?
Old 01-26-2013, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by iagainsti
.... Once the oil burning started, I started getting very heavy valve ping .....
My 2008 with the lifetime powertrain warranty was pinging badly all the time since it turned about 40,000 miles. 91 octane gas wouldn't resolve it. The pinging is caused by all the carbon build up on the cylinder head (caused by burning lots of oil) which causes 'hot spots' during the combustion that results in pre-ignition (aka pinging).

Fortunately I didn't undergo any terribly expensive corrective actions to resolve the pinging before my engine was replaced at 60,000 miles, under warranty. However, I had replaced the expensive oxygen sensor and an EGR valve around 50,000 miles. I'm sure both were destroyed by sending so much burnt oil exhaust down the pipe, but I had to pay out of pocket for those repairs. I wonder how my catalytic converter has been affected.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
An '06 or '07 purchased new on or after 26 July 2007 is covered for the original owner.
There was also a period of time where the lifetime could be purchased for the years you state in various forms. 0 deductible, 500, etc.... I purchased my 07 lemon on 25 July 2007. lol I think I paid 750 for the 0 deductible lifetime. So they got me double with that one.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I had my short block replaced under warranty after a few consumption tests. Now it appears to be running great without any oil loss! Mine was done at around 64k miles. But they did kinda get me, my radiator was cracked and they had to replace that too (not under the lifetime powertrain).
Old 02-07-2013, 08:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sad to say my beloved 07 2 door has joined the ranks of oil sucking JK's. It's going in today for diagnosis at the dealership. Haven't even hit 50,000 miles yet.

Between the deep rod knock at startup and needing a full quart of oil about every 200 miles the motor is likley toast.

Motor, intake, exhaust are stock. Changed oil at dealer every 3,000 miles since new. Trans, transfer case, and diff fluids have all been replaced twice.

Bummed. I've taken exceptionally good care of this motor and it's crapping out on me at low mileage. Guess all I can do is wait and see what they say.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:03 AM
JK Newbie

Our current racing oriented Jeep also started consuming oil after only 12,000 miles- reason was found on overhaul, as both pistonrings and valve stem seals were completely worn. Engine consumed about 0.5 litres on 100 miles. The premature wear was most likely to be caused by too rich mixture, which flushed the oil from cylinder walls, but the engine had also consumed some sand, water, mud and other stuff, that shouldn't go into engine. next season we are probably going to swap for Pentastar becqause of the weight and power

Quick Reply: Any other "07"s need piston rings