Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Any other "07"s need piston rings

Old 08-07-2011, 03:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LUVNLUC
I am the original owner if an 07 rubi with 62k miles and a lifetime warranty. It has not had any oil problems and Chrysler has never offered to buy it back. The only problems so far were a rear seatbelt, gastank and steering stabilizer. Very happy with the jeep.
How did you get a 07 with a life time warranty it was my understanding that they didn't start that until 08?
Old 08-07-2011, 06:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Yankee
Well, it seems hit or miss with the 3.8. There are likely a large percentage of owners who have a good 3.8, will get high mileage with no issues, and you will never hear from them. If you are one of the majority, then supercharging it is probably fine.

If you did not get a good one then....ya, vulgar but accurate, lol.
3.8 is vulgar. Worst engine I have ever owned.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:06 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhino64
How did you get a 07 with a life time warranty it was my understanding that they didn't start that until 08?
An '06 or '07 purchased new on or after 26 July 2007 is covered for the original owner.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

I would love to see the list of the vin numbers that Jeep knows have problematic motors.........! Would eliminate some of my sleeping problems!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by searlo
I would love to see the list of the vin numbers that Jeep knows have problematic motors.........! Would eliminate some of my sleeping problems!
Yeah, well they'll never oficially acknowledge the existence of such a list let alone publish it as they would then be forced to issue a recall for entire manufacturing batches of motors, regardless of whether individual motors are faulty or not. At an average of $6K for a motor replacement including parts & labor it would cost possibly hundreds of milions & send Chrysler broke. Easier for them to deal with it on a case-by-case basis, denying claims where they possibly can or otherwise just quietly covering part or all of the cost of motor replacement.

Last edited by JKlad; 08-07-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default add me to the list.

Well, my 07 just had the engine replaced. I had the knocking lifter sound. they said it was my crank shaft then said it had to much metal in the oil and Crysler said to replace it. I do not post much on any forum but thought I needed to here. I do have a question about the Reman engine they replaced it with. How long will this one last and is it as good as a new engine? where did it come from and why was it rebuilt? things one may never know. I am glad I have the Liftime Power train warrenty.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kilroy
Well, my 07 just had the engine replaced. I had the knocking lifter sound. they said it was my crank shaft then said it had to much metal in the oil and Crysler said to replace it. I do not post much on any forum but thought I needed to here. I do have a question about the Reman engine they replaced it with. How long will this one last and is it as good as a new engine? where did it come from and why was it rebuilt? things one may never know. I am glad I have the Liftime Power train warrenty.
If you went through the dealership and have a lifetime powertrain warranty the engine block should be new.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:55 AM
JK Newbie

So my brother-in-law just got his jeep back. $3010 for a j&p reman motor and installation.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Suge94
So my brother-in-law just got his jeep back. $3010 for a j&p reman motor and installation.
Shouldn't have cost him a cent. It's a shame we have to come out of pocket to pay for chryslers mistakes
Old 08-26-2011, 09:39 AM
JK Newbie

I have an 08 and around 12k miles it started consuming oil about a qt per 1000 miles. Didnt burn a drop before. Once the oil burning started, I started getting very heavy valve ping. A new set of lifters and a engine decarb has not fixed a thing. The dealer is now trying to tell me the ping is normal. Then why did you try to fix it the first three times ? Wow Im seriously disappointed with Chrysler and this pos engine. I highly doubt this engine will make it to 30k miles. All I can do is document everything and hope they dont weasel out of the lifetime warranty if it does go.

Quick Reply: Any other "07"s need piston rings