Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Any other "07"s need piston rings

Old 07-29-2011, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4bt cummins diesel.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lopezv123
4bt cummins diesel.
ur right, even better
Old 08-03-2011, 11:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was planning on buying a used 2007 wrangler sahara but now I am having second thoughts
Old 08-06-2011, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Im in the 1qt for every 1000 miles club. I have switched to 5W-30 and now burn a qt for every 1200 miles. Im planning on going 10-30 for this next change and seeing what happens. Im using Pennzoil Platinum Full synthetic. I may try dino after the next run.

I did find oil in my pcv valve hose. So I will be replacing that also.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ROKLIMO
Just really glad I didn't go with a supercharger. Just extreme turd polishing IMHO
Well, it seems hit or miss with the 3.8. There are likely a large percentage of owners who have a good 3.8, will get high mileage with no issues, and you will never hear from them. If you are one of the majority, then supercharging it is probably fine.

If you did not get a good one then....ya, vulgar but accurate, lol.

Last edited by Yankee; 08-06-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Grumpmeister
I had the same problem with '07. Unfortunately I didn't find out until it was to late. Didn't have a hint if trouble, changed the oil religiously every 3,000 miles. The oil light flashed once or twice. Never heard a knock. When the light flashed checked the oil and there was only one qt left! Toon it right to the dealership (after putting oil in of course! LOL) and the first thing the service rep said after I told him what was wrong was "Call Chrysler and start a case". They check the engine that day and it was shot, metal shavings in the oil. The warranty was up, I didn't have an extended one. Chrysler was pretty good about and replaced the engine and split the cost 50/50. Needless to say I just traded in the '07 and got a new Sahara, with an extended warranty I might add!!
How much was the cost on the engine swap more or less if I may ask? I have an 07 with oil problems now. I bought the vehicle about a year ago and it was a certified used vehicle so I need to figure out what route I need to take. I love my Rubicon but I'm about to dump a lot of money on mods and am thinking I may need to just trade up to a newer JK.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mattbarton15
I was planning on buying a used 2007 wrangler sahara but now I am having second thoughts
Unfortunately for the used consumers, Jeep has been buying back the 2008's with the lifetime warranty, then sticking them back on the dealer lots and selling them As-Is. Several guys here reporting getting offers of trade value equal to their original buying price. Jeep knows the serial numbers of the vehicles that have the bad engines and wants to get out of the warranty obligations.

Play it safe and avoid the 2007's, 2008's, and early 2009's.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yo_marc
I hate to dodge an answer, but I would say it's a personal preference thing. It certainly won't hurt to change every 3K, that's obvious... but I'm not sure everyone has the conviction they could go 4K, 5K or longer.

I personally think 4K is pretty reasonable for conventional. 5K may be ok if you are in a warm climate or during the summer months. Winters are harsh on motor oils, so I change around the 4k mark.
I found that 5000 miles seems to be the best compromise for oil changes. If I go 6000 or more, the oil is really nasty and I notice my fuel economy drops. I also notice that I am a quart lower at 6000 mile intervals than 5000 mile intervals. This was observed on an F250 work truck, Silverado 3500 work truck, and 2 JK's. All of them 2007 or newer.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by A/C Guy
Unfortunately for the used consumers, Jeep has been buying back the 2008's with the lifetime warranty, then sticking them back on the dealer lots and selling them As-Is. Several guys here reporting getting offers of trade value equal to their original buying price. Jeep knows the serial numbers of the vehicles that have the bad engines and wants to get out of the warranty obligations.

Play it safe and avoid the 2007's, 2008's, and early 2009's.
I dont understand why Jeep isnt doing anything about this for all Jk owners? (kinda like Toyota with their frame recall, and they still have very loyal customers due to this)! I would love to atleast know that my 07 isnt one with a bad engine, isnt there anyway we can get them to provide us with the details of our jeeps. If I have bad one, I feel entitled to know about it even though I am not the original owner!
Old 08-06-2011, 10:41 PM
JK Newbie

I am the original owner if an 07 rubi with 62k miles and a lifetime warranty. It has not had any oil problems and Chrysler has never offered to buy it back. The only problems so far were a rear seatbelt, gastank and steering stabilizer. Very happy with the jeep.

Quick Reply: Any other "07"s need piston rings