Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Any other "07"s need piston rings

Old 04-26-2011, 07:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx

Did the pictures show anything worse than what is shown on the Jeep web site in an effort to sell the Jeep's ruggedness? (Their pictures and videos)
It's an excellent point and I wonder how far more Chrysler has to push to get a few class action lawsuits on them.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

Reiper,
Took the jeep in said nothing was wrong with engine itself, but they did feel the misfire. Said it could be the spark plugs and wires. Replaced them at my expense and misfire has gone away. But again didnt have problem until they "fixed" it. Now engine feels like its towing a house when accelerating, no get up and go at all. I know my set up is not performance at all, but had better acceleration with bad rings in it?

Did yours feel sluggish more than normal before they replaced it completely?

If one more thing, nonwear related, goes wrong with this jeep im selling it for a loss dont give a s**t....
Old 04-29-2011, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jvic
Reiper,
Took the jeep in said nothing was wrong with engine itself, but they did feel the misfire. Said it could be the spark plugs and wires. Replaced them at my expense and misfire has gone away. But again didnt have problem until they "fixed" it. Now engine feels like its towing a house when accelerating, no get up and go at all. I know my set up is not performance at all, but had better acceleration with bad rings in it?

Did yours feel sluggish more than normal before they replaced it completely?

If one more thing, nonwear related, goes wrong with this jeep im selling it for a loss dont give a s**t....
Yes my Jeep did feel as if it were towing a house. The thing felt like it was having a hard time just getting up to highway speeds. Once it did get there it was like it needed to shift again or something, also you could smell that it was hot. The temperature gauge never read hot, but even my wife said she could smell it
Old 04-29-2011, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

It looks like the Wrangler finally made the Consumer Reports list of Worst Cars on the Road. Here's an excerpt from the article:

"To determine which cars get the dubious honor and which don't, Forbes compiles results from six studies by Consumer Reports including the Most Reliable Cars Report, Best and Worst Safety Performance Survey, Best and Worst Fuel Economy, Highest Cost of Ownership, the Best and Worst Values Report and Consumer Reports' overall scores for new cars.

Chrysler made the list with the 2010 Chrysler Town & Country, which racked up dismal scores for reliability and cost of ownership. Both the 2011 Jeep Wrangler and the Jeep Liberty made the cut, with the Liberty scoring poorly for reliability and fuel economy. The Wrangler joined the Liberty in the reliability department, and also ranked for worst value, and made a spot on Consumer Reports' Worst Cars list. The 2011 Dodge Nitro and Dodge Dakota made the list for similar reasons."
Old 04-29-2011, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yamaha60 replied to your PM
Old 04-30-2011, 01:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jdubb75
It looks like the Wrangler finally made the Consumer Reports list of Worst Cars on the Road. Here's an excerpt from the article:

"To determine which cars get the dubious honor and which don't, Forbes compiles results from six studies by Consumer Reports including the Most Reliable Cars Report, Best and Worst Safety Performance Survey, Best and Worst Fuel Economy, Highest Cost of Ownership, the Best and Worst Values Report and Consumer Reports' overall scores for new cars.

Chrysler made the list with the 2010 Chrysler Town & Country, which racked up dismal scores for reliability and cost of ownership. Both the 2011 Jeep Wrangler and the Jeep Liberty made the cut, with the Liberty scoring poorly for reliability and fuel economy. The Wrangler joined the Liberty in the reliability department, and also ranked for worst value, and made a spot on Consumer Reports' Worst Cars list. The 2011 Dodge Nitro and Dodge Dakota made the list for similar reasons."
The problem with the report is the Wrangler not a car its a JEEP and should be judged on it off-road ability and not its comfort and amenities. Also what they didn't tell you is that it's ranks very high on it resale value.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rhino64
The problem with the report is the Wrangler not a car its a JEEP and should be judged on it off-road ability and not its comfort and amenities. Also what they didn't tell you is that it's ranks very high on it resale value.
Exactly; compare apples with apples. I'd bet that the Mazda Miata would score very badly in off-road testing.

And yeah, where I'm am the JK's resale value is one of the highest of all vehicles on sale here believe it or not; to quote Wikipedia...

"The Jeep Wrangler received the 2009 Best Resale Value Award from Kelley Blue Book (KBB) in the Sport Utility Vehicle category. The Wrangler also holds the "Models to Best Hold Its Value" recognition from Kelley Blue Book for 1999, 1998, and 2003.[26]

The 2008 edition of Forbes Autos lists the four-wheel-drive convertible Jeep Wrangler at number four among the top ten vehicles with the highest resale value.[27]"

Last edited by JKlad; 05-01-2011 at 03:46 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

i was losing about 1 quart at 650 miles. Dealers had my jeep for a week and a half, suppose to pick it up tomorrow. They put in a new short block, as they found oil in the cylinders.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

Default Engine made a ticking noise...

So my engine started to make a ticking noise the other day and after checking the oil the dipstick was dry. I had to put 5 quarts in there for it to read normal again. The noise kept ticking so I took it to the dealership. They are ripping the engine down and are thinking the worst. They mentioned replacing the short block or hopefully it's "just" a cracked piston or rings that need replacement... They said worst case senario $4300 for a short block replacement and best case $2100 to fix pistons and such. I am still waiting for the verdict as to what is broken but I am realy nervous. My 2007 unlimited sahara only has 61000 miles on it, has never been off road and has been taken well care of. It has been drinking alot of oil for the past year and i was gradually getting suspicious but I guess I was too late. I'll let you guys know what they say when I get the phone call.

I bought it in 03/2007 so my 3year/36000 is expired.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:41 PM
JK Newbie

I too have a faint ticking. Almost sounds like a small exhaust leak at the manifold. Anyone else experience this? I so, what was it and what was the solution.? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Any other "07"s need piston rings