Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Any other "07"s need piston rings

Old 03-26-2011, 06:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow i guess these dealership are shitty to all customers and not only myself.

Yeah thanks, i'm gonna call sometime today and see what that does, it might just piss me off even more but at least i'll be able to say i tried that route too..

good luck with you fuel overflow and your alarm though, it seems to me that our dealership will only fix an issue if it's right there infront of them and aren't not interested in finding the actual problem that lies deep in the electronics or internally in the engine, or anywhere else for that matter..
Old 03-26-2011, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chrysler has now issued a lifetime warranty/recall on the fuel overflow problem. I got the letter a few weeks ago.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yamaha 90 PM me your info
I didn't get a chance to call on Friday so I will Monday.... Talked to the dealership again they are recommending a new block to the EWC (Extended Warranty Company) still waiting to see what the adjuster says might know Monday ....If he denies it I'm not sure what I'll do .....GO BALLISTIC ???!!!

I think my dealership would fight for me they have been pretty decent throughout this 4 year problem child of a Jeep ... I probably just JINXED myself.

Also I will find out where my engine was made and if was made in Mexico.

Last edited by Reiper; 03-26-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reiper i'll send you my info in a bit, i see you're from ohio! that should make it really easy for them to grab an engine and haul it right over to mansfield from the factory in toledo right? and me too i'm even closer than you are! You wanna convoy over to the plant and ask nicely if we can have a spare 3.8L for when ours blow up?

I just filed my case today with brittany from Jeep's customer Service, she was very nice and understanding. she said she could count the number of times my Jeep was in the dealership within the past year, and it has been 11 times in one year (April 13,2010) So i'll be getting a call monday or tuesday and at least have case management know of what the hell is going on..

only positive note is that my oil has been changed every 1500 miles for the past few months
Old 03-31-2011, 05:32 AM
JK Newbie

Well took the jeep in to dealer for teardown. Said that my rings didn't have enough "spring" to come out of piston seat and seal against the cylinder wall??? But they are putting new rings in. So keeping fingers crossed that this fixes it.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jvic
Well took the jeep in to dealer for teardown. Said that my rings didn't have enough "spring" to come out of piston seat and seal against the cylinder wall??? But they are putting new rings in. So keeping fingers crossed that this fixes it.
That's what my Dealer did, according to the independent inspector from the extended warranty company, THEY either used the wrong part or did it wrong, something to do with the end gap or cap ...so what does this mean? the EWC will NOT cover the repair!

Had a talk with the Dealership they said that they WILL make it right, which is awesome. Unfortunately they also told me that Chrysler absolutely sucks when it comes to backing warranty work when the factory warranty has expired by even half a mile or 1 day. I think that's pretty Shitty on Chrysler's part... where's they're LOYALTY to us

Hopefully you have better luck than I've had... maybe it's time for a class action against Chrysler??
Old 04-01-2011, 12:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Jvic
Ask them if they intend to hone the cylinders. Some dealers don't.
New rings need a honed cylinder to properly seat.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Ask them if they intend to hone the cylinders. Some dealers don't.
New rings need a honed cylinder to properly seat.

I told them about that they said they are doing everything that needs to be done to see if anything else is wrong or damaged from this issue and that this will fix the problem. Driving it yesterday and seems like its missing under acceleration? Might just be timing or computer trying to reset parameters again? What little i drove it today seems to be not in every gear now.

Hate to love this thing!
Old 04-03-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine has been a oil burner too. The dealership game me the"it's normal for newer engines" crap but now it seems I'm not the only one with this problem,my problem is where I live our dealership closed two years ago so I have to have it serviced at a local shop, will Chrysler fight the extended warranty because of that? I have heard by some that it will and some say it won't.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Smizar
Mine has been a oil burner too. The dealership game me the"it's normal for newer engines" crap but now it seems I'm not the only one with this problem,my problem is where I live our dealership closed two years ago so I have to have it serviced at a local shop, will Chrysler fight the extended warranty because of that? I have heard by some that it will and some say it won't.
Having normal scheduled service done at a non-Chrysler shop is not grounds to deny warranty. You need to have all the records, though.

Quick Reply: Any other "07"s need piston rings