Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Any other "07"s need piston rings

Old 02-15-2011, 07:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by billsimcox
Im damn happy my 09 came with lifetime powertrain warranty and I am original owner!
So you think that warranty is worth something? READ THIS:
39.5k engine dead. Full synthetic 5w 30 since the second oil change @4k first oil change was at 1k.

I am now fighting Chrysler/Jeep in court, just filed the paperwork. They denied me per the DM because they "sprayed a chemical in the engine and found a small amount of sludge" When i asked what could be the cause they said lack of maintnence. I asked about my service records that i showed them and they told me they didnt care about my service records.

When i finally had it towed home two weeks ago, I read on the service report that the dealership is now stating for their records that it came in with no oil. Which is a crock of Sh**. When they first denied me, The day after i brought it in, they said it was because i hadnt changed my oil in a very long time. When i showed them it had been changed three weeks prior and after fighting with them they agreed to an oil test. The delayed me over a month to give me the rejection from the DM. Come to find out no oil test was ever done.

If anybody has any help please let me know. otherwise i am leaving up to the lawyers which from what i am being told will take a very long time(up to a year).

Anyways, be on the lookout for my Hemi build in the Xtreme Forum. I am clearing out the garage and taking out the 3.8 this weekend.

Shawn

Also, I have the lifetime waranty
Old 02-15-2011, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

A warranty is only as good as the company that offers it.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:32 PM
JK Newbie

broken valve spring and no telling what else at 38,000. Jeep put a pos mother f*%ker engine in these pos JK's. I wish i could go back in time and stuck with a chevy.

nothin but problems since ive owned it..engine, tranny, case.. leakin ass tops/doors..
Old 02-16-2011, 05:04 AM
JK Newbie

I forgot about all the trouble I had with the leaking top - extreme air noise and rain. That cost me a couple hundred to correct - replaced the plastic roof header with a Service bulletin directed metal reinforced one. But I had to pay for it due to being out of warranty by a month and still under on mileage. Just another crummy cheap Chrysler quality design. Who would a thunk that a long thin piece of plastic would warp and lose its strength under stress and sun? Thankfully no leaks or wind noise after replacing the header. The heat shield above the muffler is also no longer bolted to the frame but is instead just sitting on the muffler because its bolt holes rotted out. It friggin rattles like crazy and I can't remove it unless the muffler is removed. I have owned a Liberty, a Grand, a Cherokee Sport and two wranglers and have had to have major engine or tranny or both work done to all of them except the Liberty (probably didn't have it long enough because the wife hated it and we traded it in). But I have to say that I have never driven anything as good as the 07 wrangler when it comes to snow. Oh yeah, lets not forget the abysmal towing capacity of the Wrangler - good luck finding a decent sized boat with trailer, full tank of fuel and motor weight that comes in at under 2000 pounds. That was another disappointing aspect of the Wrangler.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Damn I'm tired of big companies taking advantage of us!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:12 AM
JK Newbie

My mechanic just called me, he took the engine apart because it was driving him crazy as to why/how this could have happened. Get this..... there was actually a piece missing that caused the bearing to wipe. I can't remember what piece he said but it was not on/in the engine when he disassembled it. He wanted me to know this was not my fault at all. So..... either the factory left it off, the prior leasee had it worked on and whoever did the work for him left it off or the dealer I bought it from worked on it and they left it off. Doesn't matter really - I'm still screwed. My mechanic said that the engine had to already be failing when I bought it back in April, so that means that the dealer sold it to me knowing it was a toast engine and there isn't a damn thing I can do to prove it. I think my mechanic was more upset about it than me - I'm already numb from the $5000 that is going to be coming out of my bank account. F Chrysler and F Romano Jeep in Fayetteville NY!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:15 AM
JK Junkie

im getting an oil consumption test done here in the next month or so...i have added 2.5 qts since my oil change and its only been 900 miles. i think i see a hemi being put in eventually...seeing as this engine is not very trustworthy
Old 02-16-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Has this affected the 2011 Wranglers? I just bought mine this past Saturday and hate to think that I might run into this.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '07

I have an '07 Jeep bought in 11/06 with 75,000+ miles on it. Have not had any major issues; however; at first I was reading these threads and got paranoid. After a while I am realizing that a very small percentage of these jeeps are having issues and it certainly can be a number of issues. We simply do not have enough data to understand why certain people (minority) are having these types of issues.

My understanding is that the engine is not only in the JK but used in other vehicles such as the minivans. I would think/hope that if a MAJOR issue was present that it would have surfaced more than just a thread on a jeep forum.

I wish you luck with your repair on your engine but from what I have seen reported we do not have enough data to say they put the the retainer rings in backwards or its a manufacturing issue. Metrics on how many jeeps sold in '07 compared to this issue would be great.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:34 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah its definitely not Toyota recall numbers worthy. Would be interesting to know though whether it is confined to just one engine manufacturing/assembly plant. Disgruntled employee syndrome maybe? Still sucks none the less.

Quick Reply: Any other "07"s need piston rings