Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Any other "07"s need piston rings

Old 02-06-2011, 08:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like we all need a free pass at a second engine yeah?

i've been fighting a few decent oil leaks myself, and after alot of work was done on the jeep, (2 rear main seals, i/5 lower intake manifold gaskets) the engine sounds shitty.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default add mine to the list.....

i'm at 40,000 miles and starting to notice an oil blow by smell at cold startups...in an effort to prolong the inevitable i switched to 5w-30 for high mileage engines. its pretty much like taking a s*%t and finding out you are out of toilet paper...its too late and there is nothing you can really do about it
Old 02-09-2011, 04:10 PM
JK Newbie

Jeep finally called back after week and half, and told me the next step is to give the dealer the ok to tear apart engine and get a diagnosis on the oil usage. So looks like ill have to scrap some money together to pay for that. Keep you posted.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default 2nd oil consumption test update

Hit the 500 mile mark on the 2nd oil consumption test today, well actually 479 miles, and I was 2 quarts low! So the dealer topped it off and said come back in another 500, because they have to do the test over 1000 miles!!!! SO what to do now can't afford a new vehicle, Chrysler doesn't seem to be any help. Guess they'll just keep throwing parts at it til I give up or break down and trade it in.

extremely disappointed with this Jeep

Jvic I replied to your PM sorry took so long haven't been on this forum for a while
Old 02-14-2011, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

Just got the quote for my 2007 POS engine change out with only 46,000 miles for a replacement refurb - $4800 incl tax - out of my pocket. Mechanic told me Jasper doesn't even have 3.8's in stock anywhere so we have to go with another refurb company - I still get the 3yr/100,000 mile anywhere warranty. Wonder why Jasper doesn't have any 3.8's? Now I just have to hope I put 50,000+ miles on the new one before my 3rd year is up. Supposedly the refurbs are better than the OEM engine - don't know why that would be?
Old 02-14-2011, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

*Update from my earlier post*
Turns out only #2 and #6 bearings were spun.

The powers that be from the Extended Service Plan I purchased with the used Jeep wanted to replace the crankshaft and bearings. Then, just repair the motor as is with some new parts and the rest of the existing parts to be reused. NOT THE ANSWER I WAS HOPING FOR. So, I got on the phone to the warranty dept. After about an hour and a half conversation with the supervisor, then the service manager from my repair shop also called. About 4 hours later they called back saying that they were changing their decision from repairing the motor to replacing it with a Jasper long block. (glad I called and complained!)
Originally Posted by Suribachi
Just got the quote for my 2007 POS engine change out with only 46,000 miles for a replacement refurb - $4800 incl tax - out of my pocket. Mechanic told me Jasper doesn't even have 3.8's in stock anywhere so we have to go with another refurb company
I was also told by guys at the shop that Jasper had no 3.8 motors in stock. But, that they were remanufacturing one for the order. They should be able to do the same for you. That was on 2/1. The long block showed up at the shop on 2/7.

They installed it and I got my Jeep back on the 11th! The invoice that was submitted for the warranty was $4891.89, so your price is about the same. I have since put 450 miles on the new motor (adhering to the break-in recommendations from Jasper) and couldn't be happier!! More power, a 3yr/100k warranty and my blood pressure doesn't go thru the roof wondering if I'm going to make it to my next destination!! Jasper has a new fan... ME!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jeepmotor05.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	127468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeepmotorspunbearingsa.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	127469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeepmotor06.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	127472  
Old 02-15-2011, 02:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ocfd_179
*Update from my earlier post*
Turns out only #2 and #6 bearings were spun.

The powers that be from the Extended Service Plan I purchased with the used Jeep wanted to replace the crankshaft and bearings. Then, just repair the motor as is with some new parts and the rest of the existing parts to be reused. NOT THE ANSWER I WAS HOPING FOR. So, I got on the phone to the warranty dept. After about an hour and a half conversation with the supervisor, then the service manager from my repair shop also called. About 4 hours later they called back saying that they were changing their decision from repairing the motor to replacing it with a Jasper long block. (glad I called and complained!)
I was also told by guys at the shop that Jasper had no 3.8 motors in stock. But, that they were remanufacturing one for the order. They should be able to do the same for you. That was on 2/1. The long block showed up at the shop on 2/7.

They installed it and I got my Jeep back on the 11th! The invoice that was submitted for the warranty was $4891.89, so your price is about the same. I have since put 450 miles on the new motor (adhering to the break-in recommendations from Jasper) and couldn't be happier!! More power, a 3yr/100k warranty and my blood pressure doesn't go thru the roof wondering if I'm going to make it to my next destination!! Jasper has a new fan... ME!
Who is your extended warranty through?
Old 02-15-2011, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

Anyone know why the refurbs are better than the OEM engine? Better parts? From what I have read on here, installing the parts correctly will certainly make a difference as opposed to the Chrysler factory installing parts upside down and so-on.
I'm wondering if there is a way to diagnose/determine an identical future issue with the refurb when getting near the end of their 3-year warranty and my mileage is still below what appears to be the "breaking" point 40,000 mile mark which so many have described as engine failure time? I'm also wondering if the refurb is going to develop the oil disappearing act.
I paid 20-grand and put $10,000 down at a Jeep dealer last April for my like looks new 07 Sahara 2 door ragtop with 32,000 miles on it. It was 37-months old, no warranty other than whatever NY state mandates. If I didn't have so much money already tied up into buying it, I would have just gone with the band aid repair option which was still significant cost-wise ($2000 rebuild) and traded the pig in at the same dealer within the rebuild's year warranty for another Jeep and an extended warranty this time! Trade in value and taxes just don't make that a viable option really, I would lose too much. So now I just lose $5000! I think the crummy dealer knew that this jeep had this problem but of course no way of knowing or proving that. Though it seemed to run fine since April and I never noticed oil consumption problem until the fall. A couple of oil changes in between done at 15-min oil change joints and nothing was ever mentioned about very low oil mark on stick. So who knows.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im damn happy my 09 came with lifetime powertrain warranty and I am original owner!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Suribachi
Anyone know why the refurbs are better than the OEM engine? Better parts? From what I have read on here, installing the parts correctly will certainly make a difference as opposed to the Chrysler factory installing parts upside down and so-on.
I'm wondering if there is a way to diagnose/determine an identical future issue with the refurb when getting near the end of their 3-year warranty and my mileage is still below what appears to be the "breaking" point 40,000 mile mark which so many have described as engine failure time? I'm also wondering if the refurb is going to develop the oil disappearing act.
I paid 20-grand and put $10,000 down at a Jeep dealer last April for my like looks new 07 Sahara 2 door ragtop with 32,000 miles on it. It was 37-months old, no warranty other than whatever NY state mandates. If I didn't have so much money already tied up into buying it, I would have just gone with the band aid repair option which was still significant cost-wise ($2000 rebuild) and traded the pig in at the same dealer within the rebuild's year warranty for another Jeep and an extended warranty this time! Trade in value and taxes just don't make that a viable option really, I would lose too much. So now I just lose $5000! I think the crummy dealer knew that this jeep had this problem but of course no way of knowing or proving that. Though it seemed to run fine since April and I never noticed oil consumption problem until the fall. A couple of oil changes in between done at 15-min oil change joints and nothing was ever mentioned about very low oil mark on stick. So who knows.
Yeah, Chrysler didn't make them.

Quick Reply: Any other "07"s need piston rings