Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Any other "07"s need piston rings

Old 11-16-2010, 06:27 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Dronac
I wonder if the oil journal facing the wrong way contributed to the spun bearings? Although, my old engine wasn't burning any oil, even when my shortblock needed to be replaced. My new shortblock hasn't eaten an ounce of oil yet, including the break in period.
Come to think of it....
Could be. There are two different style rods used. The difference is how the caps are designed and installed. There can be both styles on the same engine.

I haven't looked into what the physical difference are, though.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Come to think of it....
Could be. There are two different style rods used. The difference is how the caps are designed and installed. There can be both styles on the same engine.

I haven't looked into what the physical difference are, though.
Interesting.......... If somebody can post up what exactly the differences are, I will take a look at my 3.8L and see if this was a contributing factor.

Anthony
Old 11-16-2010, 07:19 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by sixty5vdub
Interesting.......... If somebody can post up what exactly the differences are, I will take a look at my 3.8L and see if this was a contributing factor.

Anthony
From the FSM:

"NOTE: The 3.8L may have any combination of forged or cracked cap connecting rods. The cracked cap design is easily identified by the connecting rod cap bolts rather than the traditional forged connecting rod cap nuts. The cracked cap design also has a different tightening procedure and specification. The connecting rod caps must be paint marked or scribed to identify the accompanying connecting rod. All connecting rod caps ARE NOT inner changeable between connecting rods."

"The connecting rods have either the standard forged caps or forged cracked cap design. Both the cracked cap and forged cap connecting rod designs are interchangeable and may be found in any combination when mounted to the crankshaft."

Last edited by ronjenx; 11-16-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by benny
Just out of curiosity, at what mileage did you notice that it started consuming oil? Has it always to some extent or did it just start doing it after awhile?
Really started noticing it getting excessive around 16,000 and has steadily gotten worse, yeah it has always consumed oil just thought it was burning the 5w-20, even got paperwork from Chrysler through the dealer that states a quart per thousand miles or something like that

Last edited by Reiper; 11-16-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

My 08 is starting to use more and more oil. at 13,000 miles it was down a couple quarts at my oil change with 3000 miles on the oil. Now it is using closer to 3 and the dealership says this is normal? They did find the intake gasket leaking, but my whole motor would be covered with that much oil leaking. My old 70 Blazer with over 200,000 miles on it burns less oil than my Jeep. I don't understand how a quart every 1000 miles could be considered normal.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:14 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Slightlymodified
My 08 is starting to use more and more oil. at 13,000 miles it was down a couple quarts at my oil change with 3000 miles on the oil. Now it is using closer to 3 and the dealership says this is normal? They did find the intake gasket leaking, but my whole motor would be covered with that much oil leaking. My old 70 Blazer with over 200,000 miles on it burns less oil than my Jeep. I don't understand how a quart every 1000 miles could be considered normal.
That's the thing. People keep using the word "normal".

It's not normal, because most engines across the board don't use that much.

All the "1qt/1,000 miles" represents is the limit before the manufacturer will consider doing anything about it.
If people could get away from the word normal, maybe they wouldn't be so pissed off at the manufacturers' attitudes.

Last edited by ronjenx; 11-16-2010 at 05:27 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 11-16-2010, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right.......its not "normal" at all. I bought my JK brand new so I know everything that has been done to it since I drove it off the lot with 16 miles on it. I'm at 38k miles now and I'm not burning a drop of oil between changes of 6k-8k miles (mostly highway miles). I'm running standard 5W-20 non synthetic Castrol

My 1986 BMW 325 uses a quart of 15W-50 every 1500 miles, but it has ~245k VERY HARD miles on it with absolutely no engine work what so ever. That much oil consumption on a modern engine is just absurd.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Reiper
I went to the dealership a week or two ago for an oil change and had them start an oil consumption test because I've noticed that my oil has been extremely low 3 1/2 to 4 quarts low between oil changes, I go back today for the 500 mile check and the JK is down over half a quart. The Mechanic who checked proceeds to tell me that I'm gonna need new piston rings here the kicker I only have 28,269 miles on my Jeep!!!!!!!!!! WTF?

Has anyone else had this problem? What was your solution?
I have the exact same thing going on with my 08! I got bored and wanted to check my oil at 30,000 miles. Just did an amsoil oil change at 22,000 and I burned through 3 quarts of it. I never rev my engine past 2,000 rpms before I shift to the next gear. I drive mostly city 90% of my JKs life. I also make sure the air filter is clean every 2,000 miles. I had 2 guys in the Jeep driving down the road and I gave it some gas and it was appearant there was oil burning out the exhaust.

This is so ridiculous that I burn through half the oil during an oil change interval with synthetic, I cant even begin to explain my frustration! I go in Thursday to begin the oil consumption test.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

I would say my 09 JK X is about 1qt for every 6k. I have taken it in a few times for a "top off" since they say its normal and they have never gave me an issue with coming in just for that. I had a 97 Civic that burned 1qt per 1k. Honestly a big factor of me buying a BRAND NEW vehicle was because I was sick of dealing with having to always top off my oil. I know 1QT for every 6k isn't much compared to what some of you guys/gals are facing but I hope it doesn't get much worse.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I 've contacted Chrysler the lady acted like since I had the extended warranty that this was no big deal since it will be covered and not out of my pocket or theirs.

I've also sent a few e-mails to different people one was the guy that Wayoflife posted his e-mail in his thread about Chrysler voiding warranty. The other was to the Editor of a Off-road magazine who helped me out before when I had my mysterious squeal that nobody could find, that ended up getting me 4 engineers sent to the dealership where I bought the Jeep so they could perform 6 or was it 8 hours of disassemble / reassemble with my Jeep.

Quick Reply: Any other "07"s need piston rings