Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Any other "07"s need piston rings

Old 01-20-2011, 06:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Below was posted by member: Dank on the 50000 engine problem thread :

Your dealer is wrong the 3.8 was never made in Mexico or Ohio it's made at Trenton engine in Mich. Where I work in the block department. And for the pistons they are outsourced and the water pump was outsourced up until last year.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

I've got what sounds like a ticking coming from passenger side underneath motor. Any ideas. Collapsed lifter maybe??!!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:47 AM
JK Freak

It could be a small crack in the exhaust manifold. It will sound like that. A lot of time when it warms up it will go away depending on the size of the crack.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Talked to dealer, who I bought the Jeep used from, they run a compression test on it before they sell it, if it doesnt "pass" they will not sell it he says. Dont have numbers from it so compression is good for my 2 quarts per 1000 mile oil burning engine.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 2nd oil consumption test

Contacted the dealer and asked "what are you gonna do about my engine still burning oil ?"
ANSWER: " Go ahead and top it off and will check it at 500 miles, we have to check it twice before we can do anything"( Twice meaning oil consumption in 1000 miles)

So I'm doing a second oil consumption test now! I think it's time CHRYSLER replaces my engine not the parts in it.

I just had to have it the first year they came out will never do that again, hell sorry to say may never buy a Jeep again.
Where's the "built with pride we'll stand behind our product" that you hear on the NEW Grand Cherokee commercials is it only for that vehicle?
Old 01-26-2011, 02:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Reiper
Contacted the dealer and asked "what are you gonna do about my engine still burning oil ?"
ANSWER: " Go ahead and top it off and will check it at 500 miles, we have to check it twice before we can do anything"( Twice meaning oil consumption in 1000 miles)

So I'm doing a second oil consumption test now! I think it's time CHRYSLER replaces my engine not the parts in it.

I just had to have it the first year they came out will never do that again, hell sorry to say may never buy a Jeep again.
Where's the "built with pride we'll stand behind our product" that you hear on the NEW Grand Cherokee commercials is it only for that vehicle?
Seems these Dealers make up the rules as they go along. First I've heard you need two,anything to slow the process. Guess they're hoping you'll trade it off and they won't have to deal with it.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

2nd stop in for the consumption test again 1.75 quarts low in 1000 miles They said call Jeep to see what next step is. Called Jeep and the dude was super nice and is passing it to the case manager and should expect a call back by Friday.

If your dealer is giving you the run around tell them im going to a different dealer and calling Chrysler about this BS?
Old 01-26-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

Well, wish I didn't have to post this but... add another '07 with spun bearings to the list.... MINE!

Cylinders 3, 4 & 6 have spun bearings at 36,653 miles.

I bought this Jeep used with 31k miles on it from my local Ford dealership. (reliable place that I've been using for many years) Jeep was great.. at first. Checked oil when I first brought it home.. full. Checked the oil after approx 3k miles from purchase and it was down 2.5 qts. Didn't think too much of it, changed it and checked it more frequently. Never noticed another problem, slightly low oil here and there. About 3 weeks ago the motor started pinging. Sounded similar to spark knock or a slight valve tap. Checked oil, down about a qt after 2600 miles, filled it back up. 3 days later the noise was BAD, real bad. Took it back to dealer who said it sounded like a rod bearing gone bad. They let me take it to a friends shop that works on alot of jeeps in the area to evaluate the problem (this wasn't a problem with the Ford PremiumCare warranty that was purchased with the Jeep).

Warranty people wanted the motor stripped down to inspect. That's when the spun bearings were found and metal in the oil pan.

An inspecter came out on Monday and we're now waiting on warranty to decide if they will replace with new short block or repair existing. Obviously I am and both the Dealer and the shop that has been working on it are pushing for short block replacement. I'll post updates when I find out more.

Should not be going through this mess with only 36,653 miles on an engine!!!!!

My '91 4.0 YJ had 232,000 miles on it when I sold it... No problems at all!!! Wish they never got rid of that motor!
Old 01-27-2011, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jvic
2nd stop in for the consumption test again 1.75 quarts low in 1000 miles They said call Jeep to see what next step is. Called Jeep and the dude was super nice and is passing it to the case manager and should expect a call back by Friday.

If your dealer is giving you the run around tell them im going to a different dealer and calling Chrysler about this BS?
They aren't really giving me the run around, I don't think, just following their procedures I'm gonna go ahead and call my case manager anyway.

Jvic sent you a PM
Old 01-28-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

I pulled the oil pan on my '07 to check the ticking I'm hearing. Bearings seem fine, nothings loose. I think I might have an exhaust leak. The funny part is my oil consumption got better when I changed the water pump.,.???
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-533214151.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	122227  

Quick Reply: Any other "07"s need piston rings