Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Any other "07"s need piston rings

Old 01-12-2011, 12:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKlad
Although some motors have had the rings incorrectly installed on the pistons resulting in huge amounts of oil consumption, it seems many JKs do burn some oil. We are told by Chrysler that this is normal.

The common consensus on my local forum where this discussion is currently running seems to be that it's the thin oil Chrysler specifies mainly to increase mileage for their CAFE figures that is the problem. Of course many people have said that modern, high performance, tight-tolerance motors need the new, thinner oils to lubricate themselves properly and the myth that the Chrysler 3.8L V6 is one of these modern, tight-tolerance motors seems to have propagated here. The new Pentastar quad cam, VVT, high performance V6 may certainly be in this category however the JK's old fashioned, iron block, low-revving, single camshaft pushrod motor 20 years or more old in design certainly is not. One of the guys is an experienced mechanic who has examined the specs for the JKs V6 motor and is of the opinion that the tolerances are decidedly old-school & not particularly tight at all.

In reality 5w20 is a low viscosity winter-weight oil that is well suited to the North American and European winter climate however under harsh operating conditions 20 weight oil will burn off in a motor such as the low-tech 3.8L V6, particularly at prolonged highway speeds. Many people where I am have found that their oil consumption stops completely when they switch to 15w40 grade oil, which is far better suited to hot climates (5w20 isn't even available off-the-shelf where I am as it's considered too thin an application for hot climates, 5w30 being the thinnest oil available without special order).
That will be my next option. My oil is ready to be changed so I will bump it up to 5w-30 and try using a standard mopar filter and see what results. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:01 PM
JK Freak

I'm shocked nobody has done a compression test. You can get a tester for $25 at autozone. Anyone have a manual with the acceptable range? I'm thinking 150-200 psi would show on a healthy motor.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although some motors have had the rings incorrectly installed on the pistons resulting in huge amounts of oil consumption, it seems many JKs do burn some oil. We are told by Chrysler that this is normal.

The common consensus on my local forum where this discussion is currently running seems to be that it's the thin oil Chrysler specifies mainly to increase mileage for their CAFE figures that is the problem. Of course many people have said that modern, high performance, tight-tolerance motors need the new, thinner oils to lubricate themselves properly and the myth that the Chrysler 3.8L V6 is one of these modern, tight-tolerance motors seems to have propagated here. The new Pentastar quad cam, VVT, high performance V6 may certainly be in this category however the JK's old fashioned, iron block, low-revving, single camshaft pushrod motor 20 years or more old in design certainly is not. One of the guys is an experienced mechanic who has examined the specs for the JKs V6 motor and is of the opinion that the tolerances are decidedly old-school & not particularly tight at all.

In reality 5w20 is a low viscosity winter-weight oil that is well suited to the North American and European winter climate however under harsh operating conditions 20 weight oil will burn off in a motor such as the low-tech 3.8L V6, particularly at prolonged highway speeds. Many people where I am have found that their oil consumption stops completely when they switch to 15w40 grade oil, which is far better suited to hot climates (5w20 isn't even available off-the-shelf where I am as it's considered too thin an application for hot climates, 5w30 being the thinnest oil available without special order).
What about running 5w40? Would that cover all the bases?

My JK is doing its oil consumption test. I wonder what they will do when they see it's burning more than 1 quart per 1000 miles.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the amount of oil these engines are burning, would they still pass federal emissions? If not, you may be able to get this taken care of through emissions warranty in some states.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Flip94ta
I'm shocked nobody has done a compression test. You can get a tester for $25 at autozone. Anyone have a manual with the acceptable range? I'm thinking 150-200 psi would show on a healthy motor.
It has been my experience that an engine burning oil, (with no other symptoms, like running poorly, hard starting, etc.) will still have great compression.

Even a cylinder leak-down test can be good on an oil burner.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

We really should get a poll going comparing the engine ID numbers denoting location of assembly and respective dates.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by angermgmt
We really should get a poll going comparing the engine ID numbers denoting location of assembly and respective dates.
The knowledge to do that has been disseminated.

Only two people have bothered to look at their engine numbers, and post their engine's point of assembly.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The knowledge to do that has been disseminated.

Only two people have bothered to look at their engine numbers, and post their engine's point of assembly.
ronjenx I tried the other day when I added oil but could not see it

Last edited by Reiper; 01-13-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bulletproofjk
Reiper,
Let me get this right. You just had your jeep in to rebuild the incorrectly installed piston rings and now it's burning even MORE oil than before the rebuild?
You are absolutely right add as of today 1/13/11 no call from the dealer so I will be calling again tomorrow then I'll call Chrysler again.

bigf350sd I to love the Jeep but THIS IS SIMPLY RIDICULOUS
Old 01-13-2011, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wonder did they just replace the rings without re-honing the block, as the damaged cylinder walls wouldn't take long to wreck the new rings.
I asked them when they replaced the rings if there was any damage to the cylinders, they said that they were fine, I also asked if there was any specifics on a break-in period for the new rings ie; keeping it below a certain RPM or speed they said no it will be fine.

Quick Reply: Any other "07"s need piston rings