Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Any other "07"s need piston rings

Old 01-07-2011, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx

I had one of those Visible V-8's when I was a kid.
After I'd had it for a while, I wanted to experiment a little.

I lubed all the bearings, then hooked up a drill to the output shaft. Started out really slow, gradually increasing the speed. It got going pretty fast and was going along longer than I ever expected when "BLAM!" The oil wore off and it threw a rod just like a real one.
I wasn't a destructive kid. I just didn't know about nondestructive testing until I went into the Air Force.
ronjenx,
Have you been keeping track of the assembly locations on these motors? I'm curious to see how many from each plant are bad.

On another note: My wife was in the hospital today and while I was there happened to strike up a conversation with a guy who's mini van motor recently seized. Turns out he used to be an auto mechanic, dissembles the 3.8 motor and found scores on cylinder walls and rings " upside down"-( I'm not sure what he meant by that ).
Old 01-07-2011, 01:49 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Suge94
ronjenx,
Have you been keeping track of the assembly locations on these motors? I'm curious to see how many from each plant are bad.

Only a couple people have gone to the trouble to look at their motor number.
It's kind of difficult to get to and look at with a mirror.
I figure it's more trouble than most want to deal with.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

Had the dealer do my 1000 mile interval oil check for the test. 2 quarts low Just keep doing the test and they said they will appeal it to Chrysler.

He checked the pcv valve to see it was to blame and said it was all good.

Im going to check the engine number soon, and let you all know.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suge94
ronjenx,

On another note: My wife was in the hospital today and while I was there happened to strike up a conversation with a guy who's mini van motor recently seized. Turns out he used to be an auto mechanic, dissembles the 3.8 motor and found scores on cylinder walls and rings " upside down"-( I'm not sure what he meant by that ).
It's been discovered (as documented by members here) on quite a few oil-burners that have been pulled down that the oil expander rings were installed on the pistons upside down, and also the ring gaps were all lined up on all the pistons. Apparantly when faced with this evidence of blatent manufacturing errors at the assembly stage of production, Chrysler has replaced these motors even if they are out of warranty.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

I have an 07 with 108K on it. I bought it new.

Anyway, i finally noticed that i loose about 1 quart per 1K on it.

I dont know the whole story with the oil rings being reversed etc, but in my case it seems that the oil is lost via PCV.

I changed mine twice now, and both times i pull the hose off to get to the PCV, i see oil pouring out of the hose!

There should not be any oil in the hose there!

This means to me that the oil is being sucked out through the PCV and burned off that way. I really think this is the mode by which we all lose oil....
Old 01-09-2011, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've heard that theory about the pcv valve also, but I'm not going to mess with anything until the end of the oil consumption test. After that, I'll try what I can, since I'm out of warranty. Did you ever notice the thing QUIT burning/using oil when you would change your pcv valve?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:53 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007 JK
I have an 07 with 108K on it. I bought it new.

Anyway, i finally noticed that i loose about 1 quart per 1K on it.

I dont know the whole story with the oil rings being reversed etc, but in my case it seems that the oil is lost via PCV.

I changed mine twice now, and both times i pull the hose off to get to the PCV, i see oil pouring out of the hose!

There should not be any oil in the hose there!

This means to me that the oil is being sucked out through the PCV and burned off that way. I really think this is the mode by which we all lose oil....
That's not entirely true. One of the things the PCV is intended to do is route oil vapors from the crankcase into the intake to be burned.
Some of it inevitably condenses in the tube.

So it a question of why are you getting so much through the PCV system.

One big cause would be bad rings, allowing to much blow-by to pressurizes the crankcase. The oil mist normally present in the crankcase would then be forced out through the PCV system.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Bump Piston rings already replaced

So I checked my oil level today 1/10/11 and I had to add 1 qt and 18 OZ. of oil in 460 miles. the last time I checked & recorded it was on 12/13/10 and there was 28860 miles, today there are 29320 a difference of 460 miles. .

keep in mind the
"PISTON RINGS WERE ALREADY REPLACED"

So I again called the Dealership and they said they would call me back. What is the next step I wonder!?!? WHAT IT SHOULD BE IS AT THE LEAST ENGINE REPLACEMENT!

I tried finding the #/ letter but i can't find it don't have a mirror on a stick
Old 01-10-2011, 01:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bigf350sd
I've heard that theory about the pcv valve also, but I'm not going to mess with anything until the end of the oil consumption test. After that, I'll try what I can, since I'm out of warranty. Did you ever notice the thing QUIT burning/using oil when you would change your pcv valve?
The oil in the PVC system IS a function of the blow by. It's not that the suction in the PVC is strong enough to pull oil past the rings, it's that oil is past the rings in the valve covers, etc and being removed. Try removing the oil fill cap and see all the blow by coming out. Then go to an engine without bad rings and notice the complete lack of air coming out of the fill tube. It's an easy test on any motor. My SC'ed Trans Am felt like a leaf blower before I rebuilt it.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flip94ta
The oil in the PVC system IS a function of the blow by. It's not that the suction in the PVC is strong enough to pull oil past the rings, it's that oil is past the rings in the valve covers, etc and being removed. Try removing the oil fill cap and see all the blow by coming out. Then go to an engine without bad rings and notice the complete lack of air coming out of the fill tube. It's an easy test on any motor. My SC'ed Trans Am felt like a leaf blower before I rebuilt it.
X2!

Unscrew you oil filler cap on then just sit it in the fill hole; It's plastic & fairly light and if it moves or vibrates at all then this will signal significant blow-by, however just noticing a little smoke or vapour coming out is enough to signal pressurization of the crankcase. Oil residue inside and around the filler cap is also a sign. The inside of my JK's filler cap is spotlessly clean & oil-free, wheas the underside of the filler cap and surrounding fill-hole on my old '83 Mercedes with worn rings (that uses about a quart & a half per 1000 miles) is always dirty & oily, and the smokey fumes coming out are quite visible.

Quick Reply: Any other "07"s need piston rings