Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Any other "07"s need piston rings

Old 01-03-2011, 10:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by benny
Well for what it's worth I'll tell you that mine comes up a little over the hump on my dipstick when I change it. Letting it drain on a level surface until nothing is dripping, putting on a new filter and putting in 6 qts.
Lots of folks on here have had dipsticks that give strange readings. Some read right at the safe mark with 6, some read well over with 6. When I change mine it is still on the hump, I would say that you have issues. (Of course you knew that anyway.) Did you let them see where the level was on the dipstick after they filled it?
Well thats reassuring that yours reads over the hump when you add 6 qts in yours. I was afraid they might have cheated by adding more oil than recommended. I did not let them see where the level was because I didnt tell them I was having an oil consumption test when I went in for the oil change. I wanted to make sure they didnt set it up in their favor. I asked afterwards what I need to do to start the oil consumption test and they told me that I already got the oil change so come back in 1000 miles or when the low oil light comes on, which ever is first. I still have 100 miles to go before I hit the 1000 mile mark and its already 1 inch down on the dipstick. The MPG on the dash is at 19.3 too, so you know Im not beating the shit out of it.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Any chance you can look at the engine number? It is on the back of the engine, on the block, just under the joint where the head meets the block, driver's side.

The number has the plant of origin. You will have to reach in and clean it with a rag, then look at it with a mirror, so you would have to take into consideration it will all be backwards.

Edit to add:

The engine number is located on the rear of the block, just below the cylinder head, on the drivers side. There will be two sets of numbers. The first set is the engine number, the second set nearby is the last 8 digits of your VIN.

The second character in the engine number represents the manufacturing plant.

S = Saltillo
T = Trenton
Ill check up on that and get back with you in a minute or two
Old 01-03-2011, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by benny
Well for what it's worth I'll tell you that mine comes up a little over the hump on my dipstick when I change it. Letting it drain on a level surface until nothing is dripping, putting on a new filter and putting in 6 qts.Lots of folks on here have had dipsticks that give strange readings. Some read right at the safe mark with 6, some read well over with 6. When I change mine it is still on the hump, I would say that you have issues. (Of course you knew that anyway.) Did you let them see where the level was on the dipstick after they filled it?
Mine reads just above the hump as well when I change the oil and filter and then put in 6 qts. I thought it was a little strange and had considered putting in less to keep it at the top of the "safe" zone, but then read about others with strange dipstick readings after changing with oil.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

Compare that dimension with the length of the "safe zone" cross hatch portion.
That represents one quart.

The dealers seem to fudge the starting point in their favor.

If they "over fill" the engine, just make sure you see it before you leave the dealer. When you come back in remind them you are comparing the level to the starting point not the top of the hatch mark.

I started a consumption test on mine because i was about 5 quarts low on my previous oil change. Went back in last week for a check at 500 miles and it is already 3/4 a quart low... ridiculous! They said they couldn't document my visit because it is not at a 1000 mile interval per the "book"? Im going back this week for my 1000 mile check. I will let you know what they say.

This forum helps alot thanks for all the posts about this issue that Chrysler should recognize and fix for all of its customers.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:59 PM
JK Freak

Any chance you can look at the engine number? It is on the back of the engine, on the block, just under the joint where the head meets the block, driver's side.

The number has the plant of origin. You will have to reach in and clean it with a rag, then look at it with a mirror, so you would have to take into consideration it will all be backwards.

Edit to add:

The engine number is located on the rear of the block, just below the cylinder head, on the drivers side. There will be two sets of numbers. The first set is the engine number, the second set nearby is the last 8 digits of your VIN.

The second character in the engine number represents the manufacturing plant.

S = Saltillo
T = Trenton
Well it took a little over a minute or two like I thought Very hard to see those faint numbers and letters with a flashlight and a mirror.

But I have figured out the second character is indeed a T.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:06 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by racin444
Well it took a little over a minute or two like I thought Very hard to see those faint numbers and letters with a flashlight and a mirror.

But I have figured out the second character is indeed a T.
Yeah, as soon as I read your post, I knew I had time to shovel 250' of driveway, do some grocery shopping, cook supper, eat it, do the dishes, and get back to the computer.

I wish more people with oil consumption problems would do this so we could get an idea if the assembly plant plays a role.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

I'll check my engine code tomorrow.
There is something really off about these engines. My brother in law went through the same situation with being 5 quarts down at his last oil change. 40,000 miles on his and it's never been off road.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:04 PM
JK Freak

Yeah, as soon as I read your post, I knew I had time to shovel 250' of driveway, do some grocery shopping, cook supper, eat it, do the dishes, and get back to the computer.

I wish more people with oil consumption problems would do this so we could get an idea if the assembly plant plays a role.
Dang I didnt think I took that long ahahah
Old 01-03-2011, 06:12 PM
JK Freak

None of these Jeeps smoke at all??..I find it pretty weird that so many people are having problems but only notice it when they check their dipsticks, for sure someone would see smoke at takeoff beings it's the rings?
Old 01-03-2011, 06:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 07crawler
None of these Jeeps smoke at all??..I find it pretty weird that so many people are having problems but only notice it when they check their dipsticks, for sure someone would see smoke at takeoff beings it's the rings?
Mine smokes when I take it above 4000 rpms almost all the time so I think that counts as one

Last edited by racin444; 01-04-2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: wrong number

Quick Reply: Any other "07"s need piston rings