Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Any other "07"s need piston rings

Old 11-15-2010, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any other "07"s need piston rings

I went to the dealership a week or two ago for an oil change and had them start an oil consumption test because I've noticed that my oil has been extremely low 3 1/2 to 4 quarts low between oil changes, I go back today for the 500 mile check and the JK is down over half a quart. The Mechanic who checked proceeds to tell me that I'm gonna need new piston rings here the kicker I only have 28,269 miles on my Jeep!!!!!!!!!! WTF?

Has anyone else had this problem? What was your solution?
Old 11-15-2010, 06:12 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

People have been finding their rings were improperly installed at the factory.
A while back, one person reported it was discovered the rods were installed with the oil squirt hole facing away from the thrust side of the cylinder.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is just ridiculous! I've contacted a few people today about this I'll keep you all updated as to what I find out. Thank goodness I bought an extended warranty!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just out of curiosity, at what mileage did you notice that it started consuming oil? Has it always to some extent or did it just start doing it after awhile?
Old 11-16-2010, 12:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Question for those that are having this issue. How have your plugs been? Is there considerable fouling noted on the plugs?
Old 11-16-2010, 01:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
A while back, one person reported it was discovered the rods were installed with the oil squirt hole facing away from the thrust side of the cylinder.
Not to thread jack but my question is where does the oil go if it's the rings or rods? Does it burn off? Or to the land of missing socks? I'm also experiencing oil consumption but not to the extent where its more than a quart.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
could the rods being installed wrong be the cause of my start up knock? i was told it sounded like the oil was taking too long to get to the lifters. the noise is more of a loud ticking than a knock.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:14 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by jkman77
could the rods being installed wrong be the cause of my start up knock? i was told it sounded like the oil was taking too long to get to the lifters. the noise is more of a loud ticking than a knock.
I believe the rods squirting oil to the wrong side would cause scuffing and ring wear on the major thrust side of the cylinder.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:21 AM
JK Freak

I wonder if the oil journal facing the wrong way contributed to the spun bearings? Although, my old engine wasn't burning any oil, even when my shortblock needed to be replaced. My new shortblock hasn't eaten an ounce of oil yet, including the break in period.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:24 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your oil was 4 quarts low?!?!???

Quick Reply: Any other "07"s need piston rings