Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle Question

Old 08-09-2020 | 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dat
Most of the time you don't actually need it, but it saves wear and tear on the rest of the vehicle, I can tell that I can go over or through an obstacle at a slow and easy speed with the Trac lock where I would have to use more of the small pedal if I didn't have it
Agreed! Does yours spin both wheels in the same direction when you jack it up? What I’m wondering is if that’s a reliable way to tell if its worn out.
Old 08-09-2020 | 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
Thank you!
Old 08-09-2020 | 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

If you had the transmission in Park when you did it there should have been quite a breakaway force required to spin the wheels in opposite directions if it was tested that way. If the transmission could freewheel then both wheels should have turned the same direction.
Old 08-10-2020 | 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
If you had the transmission in Park when you did it there should have been quite a breakaway force required to spin the wheels in opposite directions if it was tested that way. If the transmission could freewheel then both wheels should have turned the same direction.
I've tried both wheels in the air in neutral and park, very easy to spin. I did find the procedure to check it from the shop manual (see image). I don't have the special tool or that nice of a torque wrench, but I intend I giving it a try ASAP by hand just to get an idea. Or perhaps I can come up with a creative way using my torque wrench. I'll report back with results.

Old 08-10-2020 | 10:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

That "special tool" looks to be just part of any slide hammer that you should be able to "borrow"/rent at an autoparts store.
Old 08-10-2020 | 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
That "special tool" looks to be just part of any slide hammer that you should be able to "borrow"/rent at an autoparts store.
You were spot on! Here is a complete summary for the future:
  1. I jacked up the jeep both rear tires off the ground with the transmission in park. The tires spin opposite direction.
  2. Shifting the transmission into neutral only the tire I am am spinning moves. The other tire barely moves if at all.
  3. Following the procedure in the OEM shop manual (picture above) I read less than 10 ft.lbs. I was able to rent an axle puller from a parts store and just inserted a bolt into the center (ACE Hardware, photos below).
So, all three of these indicate (#3 definitively) that the clutch packs in the OEM LSD are shot.

Thanks for the help guys and I hope someone else finds this useful.
Chuck

Old 08-14-2020 | 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

There must have been a lot of single wheel wheelspin to screw those plates so quick. Unfortunately a LSD is not a locker and does act in the same manner as an open diff with some degree of power division between the two wheels. If you fix it, unless you are budget constrained, then my advice is to install a Detroit Tru Trac or an e-locker. Tru Trac is simply an LSD that never wears out. One guy in our group has a Safari Unlimited and he installed Tru Tracs front and rear with 35 tires and 4.88 gears and he goes where the Rubicons go without issues.
Old 08-14-2020 | 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
There must have been a lot of single wheel wheelspin to screw those plates so quick. Unfortunately a LSD is not a locker and does act in the same manner as an open diff with some degree of power division between the two wheels. If you fix it, unless you are budget constrained, then my advice is to install a Detroit Tru Trac or an e-locker. Tru Trac is simply an LSD that never wears out. One guy in our group has a Safari Unlimited and he installed Tru Tracs front and rear with 35 tires and 4.88 gears and he goes where the Rubicons go without issues.
This jeep is new to me. Has about 30k on it and did see occasional off-roading and light plowing duty. I suspect a combination of milage and use wore these plates out. Since its new to me I want to 'get to know it' before I make any changes. So I ordered a new set of plates and plan on installing them when its not 116 deg out (thanks Phoenix!). Next time they wear out I plan to go with a Tru Trac or e-locker as you noted based upon what I learn. If a LSD is enough, then I'll get a Tru Trac. If I need more, I'll get an e-locker. I appreciate your thoughts and comments!

I am really curious how many miles others are getting out of these plates?
Old 08-15-2020 | 07:34 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by eric0947
I am really curious how many miles others are getting out of these plates?
I'd venture to guess that 90% of people with LSD would have no clue that the plates had gone out. 30k miles seems like a really short life, but "light plowing" sounds like something that could be a big X factor.
Old 08-15-2020 | 07:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I'd venture to guess that 90% of people with LSD would have no clue that the plates had gone out. 30k miles seems like a really short life, but "light plowing" sounds like something that could be a big X factor.
I agree with both statements. I’m sure it depends on so many factors that a expected mileage is hard to pinpoint (and why I had a hard time finding one).

Quick Reply: Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle Question