Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle Question

Old 08-05-2020 | 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

Default Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle Question

Hey All,

New jeep owner here. I've got the factory "Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle" or "Trac-Lok" aka a clutch style LSD. I understand that both rear wheels should spin in the same direction when I jack up the rear end and spin one tire. However my tires spin the opposite direction, as if it were an open differential. I've taken the cover off and verified I have a Trac-lok to the best of my knowledge (see photo). Does this mean my clutch packs are worn out? JK has 30k miles on it.

Thanks,
Chuck

Rear differential
Old 08-05-2020 | 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Probably slip plates are worn. Perhaps incorrect oil. There is a spec for breakaway torque required to make it slip. Below that setting then the diff needs a rebuild. City driving for 30,000 miles would possibly wear out the plates. If you have to rebuild then when it is done go to the nearest GM dealer and get their posi traction lube adder and pour it in after the plates are broken in properly. That stuff makes the plates last.
Old 08-05-2020 | 08:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
Probably slip plates are worn. Perhaps incorrect oil. There is a spec for breakaway torque required to make it slip. Below that setting then the diff needs a rebuild. City driving for 30,000 miles would possibly wear out the plates. If you have to rebuild then when it is done go to the nearest GM dealer and get their posi traction lube adder and pour it in after the plates are broken in properly. That stuff makes the plates last.
Thanks. That’s what I’m thinking too. After I noticed the questionable operation I opened the diff up to verify what sort of diff I had. When I put the cover back on I changed the oil and made sure to use the additive. I tested it again after driving a few hundred miles and it’s still acting like an open diff. Guess it’s time for new clutches.
Old 08-06-2020 | 08:25 AM
JK Junkie

But how important is limited slip for you? Is it worth the expense to fix? All wranglers have Brake Lock Differential which works like a poor mans limited slip. I put 107,000 miles on my 2012 JKU with open diffs and never had any problems getting stuck. Do a search for brake lock differential (BLD) and you'll see how it works. It's actually quite effective.
Old 08-09-2020 | 05:30 AM
JK Newbie

I may be wrong here - someone please correct me it I am. The transmisson must be in neutral for both wheels to turn in the same direction when turning one of the wheels by hand.
Old 08-09-2020 | 05:31 AM
JK Newbie

I may be wrong here - someone please correct me if I am. The transmission must be in neutral for both wheel to spin in the same direction when turning one of the wheels by hand.
Old 08-09-2020 | 05:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
But how important is limited slip for you? Is it worth the expense to fix? All wranglers have Brake Lock Differential which works like a poor mans limited slip. I put 107,000 miles on my 2012 JKU with open diffs and never had any problems getting stuck. Do a search for brake lock differential (BLD) and you'll see how it works. It's actually quite effective.
I agree with you, the Jeep is very capable with open differentials. So far I haven’t needed the LSD. However, it bugs me that something is not working as it should. 🙂
Old 08-09-2020 | 05:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ChadHubbard
I may be wrong here - someone please correct me if I am. The transmission must be in neutral for both wheel to spin in the same direction when turning one of the wheels by hand.
Interesting idea, I tried that and didn’t notice a difference.
Old 08-09-2020 | 06:31 AM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

This article might be helpful:
https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/t...-slip-rebuild/
Old 08-09-2020 | 06:45 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Originally Posted by eric0947
I agree with you, the Jeep is very capable with open differentials. So far I haven’t needed the LSD. However, it bugs me that something is not working as it should. 🙂
Most of the time you don't actually need it, but it saves wear and tear on the rest of the vehicle, I can tell that I can go over or through an obstacle at a slow and easy speed with the Trac lock where I would have to use more of the small pedal if I didn't have it

Quick Reply: Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle Question