Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Anti-rollback breaking feature

Old 12-15-2009, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're guy's HSA lets go immediately when you apply throttle?? I've found that no matter how much throttle i give or how much i let the clutch out, it does not influence the HSA at ALL. It'll just stall the vehicle. It's almost like it's on a timer, 2-3 seconds and then it releases. ???
Old 12-15-2009, 06:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by isolated1523
You're guy's HSA lets go immediately when you apply throttle?? I've found that no matter how much throttle i give or how much i let the clutch out, it does not influence the HSA at ALL. It'll just stall the vehicle. It's almost like it's on a timer, 2-3 seconds and then it releases. ???
2-3 seconds it releases, but it has nothing to do directly with throttle, but it does with forward motion. Slip the clutch (with throttle/pedal) like you would normally on a hill and you'll figure out to drive the hill assist. Just try to think all it's doing is keeping you from rolling back, it isn't stopping the vehicle.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Yes, it holds what ever pressure is in the brake line when it's activated. It's activated if the Jeep is at greater than a 3 degree incline (for a manual, 7 degrees for auto) and you are in first gear if your pointed up, reverse if your pointed down. It's supposed to release when you hit the gas but mine seems to stick until the clutch starts to engage.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine doesn't release at all based on throttle...and it'll release when i engage the clutch, but it's almost like i have to power THROUGH it, not that it releases when i start to move forward. Definitely caused me to stall a bunch of times when i first got it. LOL actually now i've started to anticipate the light change, release the brake, and wait for it the jeep to roll back a lil before i take off. So much for the "assist" part!
Old 12-16-2009, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Standard feature on my 2009 Rubicon

I thought they all had it. My 2006 BMW also has it.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't need it either, but i do like it. Haven't had any problems getting it to let go, when i give it gas it lets go.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:18 PM
JK Freak

mine never disengauges.. i hate it... getting disabled
Old 02-28-2010, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

Ditto on having to power through it. I'm glad I found this thread. HSA is now disabled.

Is there a manual somewhere that details all the manual programming functions (along with the oil change light defeat)? Surely there's a whole bunch of functions not shown in the standard manual (or DVD).

Last edited by ErictheBastard; 03-01-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:11 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs down Hsa blows

I am in the group of some that the HSA does NOT turn off. Mine is on a timer. And it engages sporadically as well. I don't need it, and more often than not all it does is stall the Jeep, without releasing....... Thanks for the disable info thats why I searched this thread!!!
Old 03-14-2010, 01:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
2-3 seconds it releases, but it has nothing to do directly with throttle, but it does with forward motion. Slip the clutch (with throttle/pedal) like you would normally on a hill and you'll figure out to drive the hill assist. Just try to think all it's doing is keeping you from rolling back, it isn't stopping the vehicle.
I agree. I have thread several of these threads over the past few months. I've never understodd the issue people have had with HSA until recently. The other day I waqs starting out on a hill and for one reason or another I must have been day dreaming and didn't engage my clutch right away and let the HSA hold me for a couple seconds. When I fianlly woke up, the engine bogged down and nearly stalled. So if you're hanging out allowing HSA to hold you in place, it's going to take more throttle to get you going. I never had the problem before since I normally barely give HSA a chance to do anything. On other vehicles I barely, if at all, experience rollback and never use a hand brake.

Quick Reply: Anti-rollback breaking feature