Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Anti-rollback breaking feature

Old 12-13-2009, 06:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been dring a stick for over 30 years, don' need no stinkin' hill assist!
Old 12-13-2009, 08:54 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by JEEP GREEN 4DR
^^^THIS^^^

well not 30 yrs experience, but long enough to know how to get 'er rolling up an incline.

Someone mentioned that turning the HSA off would also disable the ESP. Any truth to that?
I don't think so. That would be kind of dumb if it did.

Oh, and just to keep up with those quoting how long they have been driving sticks: 41 years for me. (44 if you count the 3 years before I got my license.)

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-13-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

i've been driving stick for all of 6 months... yet i don't roll back on hills... mind you i do live in Vancouver which is about as mountainous as San Francisco so it's a bit of a necessity to not roll back what with all the people that seem to not understand what it is to drive a stick and seem to tailgate right behind you on a steep hill...
Old 12-13-2009, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dre64
i've been driving stick for all of 6 months... yet i don't roll back on hills... mind you i do live in Vancouver which is about as mountainous as San Francisco so it's a bit of a necessity to not roll back what with all the people that seem to not understand what it is to drive a stick and seem to tailgate right behind you on a steep hill...
Been driving a auto for about the past 10 years, and now living in Florida for about 6 years. I had almost forgoten all the work and thought in driving a stick in the winter in a hilly area. I do remember cars right behind me on a very steep hill, snow and ice covered, with some dumb fool right on your tail.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am old school, learned on a '49 Jeep. In defense of those that have had issues with the JK on steep hills in high range, the fly by wire is a POS, I despise it for standard shifts due to the inherent delay. The only way you can overcome it is to rev higher and faster than you might with a solid link so you sound a bit like an amateur at times. I am guessing that hill start assist was invented to compensate for the delay in the throttle response.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the hill assist feature is on all 09's and newer.. I notice it every once in a while but ive never had a problem with the stick..

only trouble i have had is the delay in the drive by wire so sometimes I let the clutch out a little quick...

and the drive by wire Stinks for doing double clutch down shifts!!

-Christopher
Old 12-14-2009, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly the FBW stinks. Not so bad with an automatic, still noticeable but not detrimental as it is with a standard.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been driving sticks for 15 years and I like the hill assist. Mine only seems to work when i press the brake fully. Most of the time it won't engage automatically. If I want to use it instead of the e-brake i just make sure to do a full press on the brake petal. I actually think it comes in hella handy.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:56 AM
JK Newbie

I'll start with the obligatory ... I've been driving stick since the Reagan administration ... before saying I like the hill start assist. I don't need it but I do like it. I haven't noticed any throttle delay or any other of the FBW stuff. The only time I don't like it is when I want to see if I have cranked the s*** out of my e-brake enough.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it, you can always tell when its on because if you pump the brakes and they get firm, hill assist is on. Never seems to sneak up on me, I just drive on. It's nice because people out here have probably never seen a manual vehicle and pull up on your ass!

Quick Reply: Anti-rollback breaking feature