Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another "Stall Bug" Victim

Old 03-27-2007, 08:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine might be a different problem, I do not have all the lights come on, mine will just not move. I have had mine for 5 days and after 3 days I took in because it wouldn't move out of my driveway. They fixed it and tole me that a step in the assembly line was missed by "flashing" the torque converter. They "reflashed" it and went through more steps and said it was fixed. Drove it home and after parking it went to drive it and wouldn't move again. After about 10min (turning on and off about 4 times) it started working with what seems to be less power. Took it back today and they said to give service a 2nd try. We are forced to do that now because it is already registered. Over half the miles are from driving to and from the dealer for service. I am very frustrated in this product and if it happens again I will be writting DC and pursuing the lemon law.

I haven't even driven it yet, only my wife.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Contact NHTSA?

There was a yellow card in my canvas bag for the owner's manual that talks about contacting NHTSA about safety defects. Their # is 1-888-327-4236 or go to www.safercar.gov

I wonder if they are aware of the issues with our jks stalling? I plan on looking at their website and will let you know.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Nhtsa

That was easy. There are 4 complaints involving the 4 door 4x4 jks. 1 of them was about the stall bug from December 8. It mentioned having the TSB 18-036-06 whiich did not fix the problem. I found no type of reply from NHTSA. Maybe multiple complaints will get DC on the ball to fix this.

Last edited by russredx; 03-28-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:01 AM
JK Freak

I wonder if a combination of adding complaints to say NHTSA and mentioning to the dealers that a safety defect complaint was filed since they have no other information might help on some level. Clearly this is a safety concern and that might get more attention then treating like some other vehicle problem. If something like that does see right at some point it should be a sticky thing on the board to encourage everyone with a JK to flood NHTSA with complaints and maybe forward that complaint info to Jeep/DC.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found these pix on My project jk. I don't know whose they are, or if they have been on here before on another "stall bug" thread, but here they are.

HE HE HE, love the bandaid.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:19 PM
JK Newbie

I just sent in a message about my stall bug hopefully everyone on here that it has happend to will do the same
Old 03-29-2007, 03:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Unhappy Got me too!

I was coming to a stop at an intersection and as my Tach dropped to about 600, -- Off it went. Started the car again, and it happened at the next intersection too. Started again, went to N, and revved the engine a bit -- no more problems for the rest of the trip to work.

No lights other than the Throttle Control Warning light, which looks something like

)Z(.

I've had the light come on periodically in the past couple of weeks, but the manual reads like it's not abnormal and that you can continue to drive the vehicle. Manual goes on to say to turn the car off and then on again and it should clear. It's really only a concern if the light is blinking -- then you should get to a dealer ASAP.

Has anyone else noticed whether the stall is usually preceded by the Throttle Control Warning light??? :confused:
Old 03-31-2007, 07:52 PM
JK Super Freak

AZCA, that is my Jeep, and there are pictures on page 5. My sister was with me, and to keep me from getting upset she put it on there (it actually made me laugh at the time since no person was hurt). I sent in my report to the NHTSA, and will post their reply.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

My wife has had this happen twice, thought she must of did something wrong or it was in her head until it happened to me. Motor keeps running but all power is lost and the dash lites up like a christmas tree. last only a second or two. dealer can't find anything wrong.

Last edited by fireresqjeep; 04-18-2007 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

Default Stall issue

I took mine into the dealer and they found nothing wrong with it. I then told them about the problems other people are having and they said they knew nothing about it. Jeep tells me to take it to the dealer and of course the dealer can't find anything wrong with it. Whats it going to take for them to get a clue about this problem.

Quick Reply: Another "Stall Bug" Victim