Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another "Stall Bug" Victim

Old 03-23-2007, 11:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got mine back today, and they say they "found" a wire pin connector for the throttle body loose.
This is the second time i took it to them
The mechanic contacted the factory directly and they said they have been working on this problem for 6 weeks, and they told him to order the pin unit but go through the old one first. he found one pin sticking out pretty loose so all he did was bend the female end so that it fit tighter and now "it is tight, it wont wiggle loose"

It drove fine today but i guess time will tell.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can you tell us where the pin connector is located? Thanks....
Old 03-24-2007, 05:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deadspot
I wonder if the answer is to get some press on the issue. Maybe go to magazines or newspapers that might pick up the problem in an article. If there was a target publication we could direct emails / letters to that publication to clue them in to the fact the enough people have reported the issue. Just a thought...
How about the press (autoweek?) and the government. The NHTSA would probably be interested, just ask Ford and Firestone. Of course nobody's been killed....yet.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by troy_boy
Can you tell us where the pin connector is located? Thanks....
i'm not exactly sure, he didnt point it out to me. But he said it was a box of them (around 5"x3"). I just got the jeep back yesterday before i had to go to work, when i pick up the work order on monday i will ask him to point it out.

it would explain stalling, but i would find it hard to belive that that is everyones problem here...
Old 03-24-2007, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

I have a similar problem. My vehicle is only 3 days old with 122 miles on it, and at least 3/4 tank of gas. It drove fine on friday night, then sat morning it wouldn't drive, it would just rev up the rpm's but not move. I had it towed into the dealer and they said it was the converter but after playing with it for a while it started working again. They are keeping it so they can look at it more on monday.

Is there any offical document already written up that we can print and send to DC to document we are a victim???
Old 03-25-2007, 09:33 PM
JK Newbie

Default Stall Bug

I've had it happen to me a couple of times while driving on the highway @ 65-70 MPH. I experienced the anomoly once at highway speed while just rolling on the throttle to compensate for a hill I was begining to ascend and the other time I was at highway speed on flat level ground with little or no throttle modulation. The same description holds true for me as well. The jeep experiences a sudden loss of power, it seems both engine and electrical, the gauges and lights all come on as if I've just turned the key to the run position, the needles windshield wipe and the radio shuts off. It manifests for only a moment (1-2 seconds)
I believe those of you driving automatics are experiencing slightly different symptoms as a function of the automatic. Since the electrical power is shutting off for a moment the torque converter clutch is unlocking. When the engine restarts if you've instinctively smashed the throttle then the computer believes you have commanded passing gear and tries to provide it for you. That is once it is online again and tries to function correctly.
I can duplicate the problem at very low speeds both starting from a dead stop and at a slow roll. Mine is a 6 spd unit and if I induce very low RPM's with the clutch I can get it to "stall" and the radio to "pop" nearly every time I try to reproduce the problem. It would seem to me that there is a central power relay that supplies power to the fuse block that is sensitive to voltage fluctuations or is capable of interruption for some reason. Fuel quantity is irrelevant and speed is irrelevant. I will continue to duplicate the malfunction and narrow the parameters that lemd themselves to it. Keep posting any relavant infomation you gleen from your experiences. This way when I send my findings to DC engineering they won't be able to dismiss me. Thanks
Old 03-26-2007, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Im still sticking to the key and reciever. I think these lost connection. I wonder if someone would try taping their spare key by the colum and maby it will stayed connected using two keys. I know for sure that if you have a remote back up camera ( I do) than you can pick up other remote cameras from other vehicles......so its transmitting to two locations at once....will this help? My camera looses connection for 1-2 sec. and comes back on crysrtal clear. This to me is what is hapening

driving along............(does not matter what speed, time of day).
key looses connection...........
power is out...........
engine begins stall...........(loss of brakes, stering).
key makes connection.......
all dash lights come on........
in standard, if the engine hadent stalled completely, it refires on its own...other wise it has to be restarted...
in auto. it will fire its self up and if you had pressed on the gas it believes thats what you want when it starts....
all this in about 1-2+ seconds....sounds like key to me.....

Last edited by troy_boy; 03-26-2007 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had it happen to me for the first time in 7000 miles. Running about 75mph, 1/2 tank of gas, lights on, cruise on. Every light on the dash lit up, radio shut off and transmission acted as if in nuetral. It last for only 2-3 seconds and everything was back to normal.I was comeing home from out west on I-80. Just about had a semi run right up my pipe. I wonder if we can get an internet petition together or something and try to forward this on to DC. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

Default stall bug

Today I diconnected all of the connecters form the PCM and checked all of them for pin engagement and found nothing wrong. I also checked for signs of chaffing and other problems. I then pulled the cover off of the steering column and wiggled the connecters for the ignition switch and the transponder for the RFID system and did not get any faults. I don't know if placing the key in close proximity to the pick-up is sufficient as the pick-up for the RFID tag in the key actually surrounds the key when the key is installed in the ignition barrell. Maybe several of us could try taping the key inside the steering column cover so it is hidden from prying eyes but still in close proximity to the transponder. Naturally today I couldn't get the "Stall" to occur the way I'd been able to previously. Next I am going to put a DC power supply in place of the battery cable to the PCM/PDC and lower the voltage until all the relays open which will inturn shut the vehicle off. I'll take the measurement and report it here as well as list it in my findings for the letter to DC.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKJeff
I've had it happen to me a couple of times while driving on the highway @ 65-70 MPH. I experienced the anomoly once at highway speed while just rolling on the throttle to compensate for a hill I was begining to ascend and the other time I was at highway speed on flat level ground with little or no throttle modulation. The same description holds true for me as well. The jeep experiences a sudden loss of power, it seems both engine and electrical, the gauges and lights all come on as if I've just turned the key to the run position, the needles windshield wipe and the radio shuts off. It manifests for only a moment (1-2 seconds)
I believe those of you driving automatics are experiencing slightly different symptoms as a function of the automatic. Since the electrical power is shutting off for a moment the torque converter clutch is unlocking. When the engine restarts if you've instinctively smashed the throttle then the computer believes you have commanded passing gear and tries to provide it for you. That is once it is online again and tries to function correctly.
I can duplicate the problem at very low speeds both starting from a dead stop and at a slow roll. Mine is a 6 spd unit and if I induce very low RPM's with the clutch I can get it to "stall" and the radio to "pop" nearly every time I try to reproduce the problem. It would seem to me that there is a central power relay that supplies power to the fuse block that is sensitive to voltage fluctuations or is capable of interruption for some reason. Fuel quantity is irrelevant and speed is irrelevant. I will continue to duplicate the malfunction and narrow the parameters that lemd themselves to it. Keep posting any relavant infomation you gleen from your experiences. This way when I send my findings to DC engineering they won't be able to dismiss me. Thanks
Mine is an auto and this is the most intelligent explanation I have heard yet. Its only happened a few times so far but the dealer is performing the flash for "torque converter shudder" today since he doesn't have any other ideas. I will be careful to note all variables the next time and post them here. Keep up the good work. Too bad you don't work for DC

Quick Reply: Another "Stall Bug" Victim