Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another "Stall Bug" Victim

Old 03-19-2007, 05:02 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the flash done to mine awhile ago, it hadent happened since.

Until Friday night, in heavy rushhour traffic & some unruly snow. about 55ish on a flat road.

All the lights came on, the thing died, it chugged hard like i nailed the brakes, then it fired back up and lurched forward like i had it floored in neutral and slammed it into drive.

I am REALLY pissed about this. I had 2 of my daughters and my better half in there with me. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Edit: I am up to a grand total of FOUR stallout occurances since i had mine flashed. ALL of them at speed on the thruway.

Since the flash:
  1. 3/16. Full tank of gas, level ground, about 55ish at steady throttle. Lights on, no radio, Heater on, lowest fan setting.
  2. 3/19. 1/2 tank of gas, level ground, about 65ish at steady throttle. Lights off, radio on, Heater off, lowest fan setting.
  3. 3/21. 1/4 tank of gas, offramp aproaching stop signal, about 45ish and decelerating, lights off, no radio, heat on low, fan on low.
  4. This morning 3/23. Full tank of gas, level ground. about 50ish and accelerating up on ramp, lights on, radio on, heat on, fan about middle speed.
This is really getting rediculous. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 03-23-2007 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Because I am still pissed about this.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2007 Wrangler 4x2 Unlimited X
Automatic
6100 miles

Had the actual stall bug while driving happen this week. Driving at about 55mph, 1/4 tank of gas. All lights on, stalled, fired back up, RPMs went waaaay up, then everything was back to normal. Engine was dead for about 2 seconds.

It did seem to act kind of funny just before it happened. I was trying to accelerate, and it seemed to not respond, then it died.

Had my pregnant wife with me, scared the hell out of her driving around with no top or doors, in a car than dies for no apparent reason. This is just a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trfcrugby
This is just a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Exactly!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 12:00 PM
JK Newbie

It's settled...I'm not buying one of these until this situation is resolved. If I have to wait for the '08s, so be it. I was set to order this week too, but I'm not going to accept an automobile where something like this is all but guaranteed to happen. My luck it would happen to me while crossing a 4-lane highway or making a left.

Someone's gonna get hurt before too long because of this...
Old 03-21-2007, 08:26 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs down Stall Bug

Mine did it last night. I had about a 1/4 tank of gas and was going up hill. I had just driven 8 hours from Utah to CA and it ran fine up until then. It lasted about a second and all my lights on the dash came on and then off. It never really stalled, but just jerked. Kind of scary with my two boys in the back.

David
Old 03-21-2007, 08:42 PM
JK Newbie

Default Stall issue and Jeep

I just emailed Jeep and will let you know if I hear anything. I will also talk to my friend who works at the Jeep dealership. I don't trust my Jeep anymore and have some major concerns with it. My stall would not have been a good thing if I had been offroading down a steep hill in low. Someone is going to get hurt bad!
Old 03-22-2007, 03:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

A little over two weeks into ownership and approx. 1450 miles and it has now happened to me. accelerating uphill from a stop at about 1400 rpms the vehicle would not accelerate any more. slowly push the loud pedal to the floor and NO response...none. Then, as though the slushbox was in nuetral, the revs went immediately to 5000 with no corresponding acceleration. as i took my foot out of it to avoid grenading the engine, it decided to shift into gear with a huge lurch forward. almost like the nuetral drops we all did to dad's car at 16. no idiot lights however

called the dealer instantly and made appointment for monday. dealer did not seem the least bit surprised at my description of the problem. Wait till i get there and give him my list of additional issues. ought to be fun
Old 03-22-2007, 08:56 PM
JK Newbie

Default Stall issue

I spoke to my local dealership and the service department said they have heard nothing about this issue. I am wondering if that is the standard response (full of you know what). Obviously there is a problem!
Old 03-23-2007, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

I posted this on a different "stall bug" thread but figured I would add it to this one.

'07 2dr Wrangler Rubicon
Automatic
2548 miles

Accelerating from a stop sign going about 20mph with the parking lights, radio, heater, and a heated travel mug plugged in. Dash lit up, radio shut off, stalled, came back on and went back to normal. All this in about 2 or 3 seconds.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:27 PM
JK Freak

I wonder if the answer is to get some press on the issue. Maybe go to magazines or newspapers that might pick up the problem in an article. If there was a target publication we could direct emails / letters to that publication to clue them in to the fact the enough people have reported the issue. Just a thought...

Quick Reply: Another "Stall Bug" Victim