Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another "Stall Bug" Victim

Old 03-15-2007, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So why isn't this a recall? Are they doing the little formula from Fight Club...

If X is less than Y there is no recall...etc etc?
Old 03-15-2007, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Has anyone had this happen whose JK was built after, say, January? I'm hoping against hope that this problem is been identified and fixed before mine is built (likely in April).
Old 03-16-2007, 12:13 AM
RLandis

Default Good News.....dc Is Aware Of This Problem

I wrote to a member of one of the JK forums, who works at the Toledo plant, to suggest that DC be made aware of the stall bug, if they weren't already....here's his response:

Sorry I didn't reply sooner but work has been pushing us to our limits lately. I honestly don't know exactly what the problem is. From what I've heard from the engineers, they think it may be a fuel starvation situation. I know they're narrowing it down to a few things and trying to correct the problem before we build the 08's in July. Don't be surprise if there's a massive recall for that problem once they know exactly what's causing the stalling. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

Okay...I'm not sure how much it would matter if it's a fuel starvation problem (I'm not the most mechanically inclined), but...

I see a few people have said they had a quarter-tank or less of fuel remaining when this happened. Has anyone had this happen with your fuel gauge at over 1/2 full?
Old 03-17-2007, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

I cant remember if my tank was less than half, but I can't see why fuel starvation would shut the jk electronics down. Does that mean if we run out of gas the jk turns off electrically?
Old 03-17-2007, 07:36 PM
JK Freak

I have not experienced the stall bug, only the radio shutting down. But I thought I would chime in on the fuel theory. I tend to run my tank down to the last one or two gallons before refilling. My commute is so short that I don't refill untill the low gas warning light has been on 2 days. Still no stalling in mine. Plus like DBB888 says why would electric shut down? I can see several extra lights coming on when it stalls, but not everything turning off, then coming back, from a starving stall.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jhtolatc
Okay...I'm not sure how much it would matter if it's a fuel starvation problem (I'm not the most mechanically inclined), but...

I see a few people have said they had a quarter-tank or less of fuel remaining when this happened. Has anyone had this happen with your fuel gauge at over 1/2 full?
I was 70 miles into a new tank of gas when mine happened, so I was over 3/4 full.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

I think we've pretty well established this as an electrical/electronics problem as opposed to solely a fuel pickup issue. Now, has anybody with a build date after the first of the year had this problem? Anybody with a February build date?

I'm just being hopeful that if I ordered one this week it would have the problem fixed...
Old 03-18-2007, 10:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

This $hit happened to me on friday on my way to work (with 3/4 full tank of gas, and a build date of january 19th), after talking to roadside assastance for 10 mins, it started so i drove it to the dealed (1 mile away).
They pulled 4 codes and they said it was because my rpms were too low for the gear i was in
i wasnt driving any differently then i had driven in the last 1,700 miles, but they reset the engine light and i picked it up the next morning and was on my way.
then it happened again like 20 miles later (thankfully half a block from my house) on saturday afternoon!! So i have to take it back in the morning!!!
Old 03-18-2007, 10:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had it happen on my 6 speed about 2 months ago, was coming to a stop when it just died for a second, was about 6:00 in the am when it happened thought I might have been dreaming....guess not.

I have had it where I had to hold the key 3-4 seconds to start.

I actually had it where I turned the key off and it kept running for a split second or two.

I think there is some kind of electrical gremlin we all have, my horn honked when I locked it with the key fob, now it doesn't, few other things I can't remember now, just small things that happen intermittently.

Hope they fix it.

Quick Reply: Another "Stall Bug" Victim