Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another "Stall Bug" Victim

Old 03-13-2007, 10:25 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RLandis
I'm hoping there's someway that we can keep this thread alive, as it involves a very dangerous issue that has been noticed by more than one JK owner.
Ive had two, once since the reprogram...

I havent had one in over 2,000 miles...
Old 03-13-2007, 05:41 PM
JK Super Freak

I am a real victim of this, but thankfully no one was hurt. I was backing out of a spot, stopped the Jeep, placed it in drive, and then bam, the lights came on and I had my vehicle stopped by a post that holds up a major freeway in my area. I have 6700 miles, auto, 4 door x, 4x4, and misc extras. I took it to the dealer today, but the service department was closed, and they want me to come first thing in the morning to talk to one of the service managers. Mine was one of the first ones in my area, and I had very few problems (thankfully). It has been fun since mid Sept. and I am creating a personal record every day this week for no doors (thanks to the weather) and I am up to 9. I hope I can keep this alive without having to give up my JK.
Pics:

Last edited by zoomzoomjr; 03-13-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:22 AM
RLandis

Default Keep this thread alive

Please add to this if you have a "stall."
Old 03-14-2007, 07:28 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomzoomjr
I am a real victim of this, but thankfully no one was hurt. I was backing out of a spot, stopped the Jeep, placed it in drive, and then bam, the lights came on and I had my vehicle stopped by a post that holds up a major freeway in my area. [snip]

Ok, maybe i missed something, but i don't understand. I am not trying to be a wiseass, I just dont get it. If you backed up, stoppped, then put it in drive... how did you get a dented in rear passenger side? from a freeway pylon?

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 03-14-2007 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

My problems so far:

Unlimited 4x2
Auto trans
No power group
Aprox 4000mi at the time

1. Mine stalled at a red light. Engine shuddered slightly, then died. Started right back up.

2 I had the radio die and all the lights kick on when exiting the freeway in a curve. The stupid ESP light came on, then a loud pop through the speakers, all the lights came on, radio died, then everything came back like nothing happened.

3. Ignition cylinder seems to hang, and engine doesn't start. I have to turn the key back to off, it doesn't spring back like it should when this happens.

Dealer feedback:

Flashed the radio after #2.

The service guy gave me a piss poor attitude when I took it in for the stalling, as if one stall on a 6 week old vehicle was no big deal. No code, so they didn't do anything.

Could not duplicate the ignition cylinder problem, since it's totally random. I asked them to replace the cylinder, they said no, car is under warranty so don't worry about it. Maybe next time I will just leave the key stuck and let it burn the starter up.

This is my first Jeep, and the first American made car I have owned in over 15 years. So far, my confidence in this vehicle is low, and my wife keeps reminding me that she liked the Toyota FJ.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

just happened to me.driving along at 50 the all the lights go on and no power the engine died.2 sec later got power back and all the light turned off and all was well.now i had this happen before but the esp light stayed on and the dealer fix was to replace the clock spring and would not flash my jeep because that was not the problem!!!so we will see what happens this time.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:32 PM
JK Super Freak

RLandis -
The engine did not cut out, but all power did (brakes, radio, steering), and all the lights on the dash came on -- "stall bug"
Happy -
The vehicles brakes cut out, and it rolled back. I could not pull the emergency brakes, and steer (non powered at that point) at the same time. Chose the corner instead of the middle.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:27 PM
JK Newbie

Glad you guys talk about this here. Have 4,500 miles on my 2 door 6spd and was driving last night on the highway at about 75 miles an hour. Next thing I know, the radio cuts out, my amps cut out, and the car shudders and the dash lights all come on. I am assuming that since you can push start a standard that the entire thing shut down, and then was kicked back on almost instanatly since the car was in gear and the ignition was turned on. Just scares me to think if I was going slower, or in a turn, or if my wife was driving and we lost power steering at the wrong time. Man this has to be a huge liability for JEEP, unfortunately, it is even more of a liability for us that have to drive these things that could do this at any time!!
Old 03-15-2007, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I thought I had already posted in this thread but I guess I was thinking of something else.... Anyway.... I have a 2 dr X with the manual trans. As it sits right now I have a little over 6000 on it. Build date on mine is 11/9/06. Mine has "died" two times now. First time was just before Christmas (don't remember the miles) I was rolling up to an intersection, all of the lights came on, then everything went black, radio cut out and the engine died as if I had turned the key off. I was able to start it right back up.

The second time was about 3-4 weeks ago and I had roughly 5600 miles on it. I was driving about 50 mph. Once again all of the lights came on, then everything went black, radio cut out and the engine died. This time it was in gear. The engine was off for a few seconds and then it fired right back up on its own. I guess because of my momentum and the fact that I left it in gear... who knows. All I know is that I had enough time to think "Oh S#!T" and start wondering about how I was going to dodge traffic to get to the side of the road.

As usual the dealer says that they can't find anything wrong with it. They finally just performed the TSB and flashed the PCM last week after I have been asking them about it for 2 months. I will have to say that the throtle response is MUCH better. It revs quicker and it even sounds different. If it happens again I'll be sure to post here.... and yes... this is a HUGE safety concern.

Last edited by J33P JK; 03-15-2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:55 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomzoomjr
RLandis -
The engine did not cut out, but all power did (brakes, radio, steering), and all the lights on the dash came on -- "stall bug"
Happy -
The vehicles brakes cut out, and it rolled back. I could not pull the emergency brakes, and steer (non powered at that point) at the same time. Chose the corner instead of the middle.
Ok, now i get it.

I was having a blond moment i guess. glad the damage wasnt more extensive.

Quick Reply: Another "Stall Bug" Victim