Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another "Stall Bug" Victim

Old 02-01-2007, 04:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this on the other thread a few days ago :

I had the flash done about a month ago, and mine stalled out on Friday when I stopped at a red light. I had just check the miles to go indicator since I had slightly less than a quarter tank of gas and it was at 80 miles. After I cranked it back up, it was saying 20 miles and flashing low fuel. After about 2 miles, the indicator went back up to 80 miles.

Looks like their may be a fuel pick up problem.

It was just a fluke that I happened to be looking at the miles to go gauge when mine stalled, but by the way the fuel gauge was acting on mine, I think there may be a problem with the fuel system causing the injectors to cut off, thus killing the vehicle.

Just a guess though.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:46 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mslc10
hey I was thinking about tis today and what is the possibility that this is a power loss and then coming right back on, kinda like turning ignition off then on...it explains the lights coming on just like when you turn the key....I say this because when it happened to me my radar detector went off and back on ,That means cigarette lighter went dead....cigarette lighter is a heavy amp draw circuit and my guess is does not go thru computer, radio stayed on like if you turn key off it won't go off until you open a door. so this elminates a loose connection at the battery itself ( correct or incorrect?) The altinators regulator may not switch fast enough to keep the ignition on if there is a major battery power loss....just thinking here brainstormin ya know?
I guess this is possible, it would stand to reason.

However (I went through this list with the service tech);
  • I do not have the power convenience group. (i like my crank windows:toung: )
  • It was about 4pm, so the headlights where off.
  • It was sunny out, so the wipers where not on.
  • I wasnt using the air (it is January in Western NY, quite unnescesary)
  • The heat was on. (but not at blast furnace temp or jet exhaust flow volumes)
  • Radio was off. (I rarely use it actually)
  • Nothing plugged into the power outlets. (I hate cell phones, & radar detectors rarely save you)
  • I was on the downhill side of the bridge, so i wasnt on the gas and the engine was mostly likely winding down towards idle at the time

given all those factors, i do not think my particular instance was power loss related due to overloading the circuit capability. Although anything is possible.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think theree is an intermittent power connection to the ignition portion of the computer....i shut my key off today coming to work and then turned key back on and , just like the stall, lights came on ,engine started (!) (not with starter motor) back up and revved up (being my foot was still on accelerator) and then trans went into gear when i let off accelerator
Old 02-01-2007, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default I see a bad trend here!

This happened to me for the first time this morning. I had "power loss" for one second or less. I was coming to a stop sign, slowing down when the lights flickered, radio cut out, and the motor sputtered a little. I didn't have to restart though. I do have a lot of hard starts with mine where it takes about three seconds of cranking to start. The fuel delivery could be the issue. I don't know if the two problems are related. Other than going to the dealer, is there anthing else we can do to get this problem addressed before someone gets hurt. DC has got to know this problem exists. It sounds to me as if most people have experienced this power loss issue in some way, shape or form. If this many people are talking about it on this forum can you imagin how many people this happens to that don't make any noise about it. Any ideas?

For information sake:
2007 JK Unlimited X
1750 miles
Owned for 1 month
Head lights were on
radio on
braking, off the accelerator
Hard started twice before it happened(3 seconds of cranking to start)
No accessories plugged into outlet
Old 03-10-2007, 04:23 PM
X-man Unlimited

Unhappy The "Stall Bug" bit me last night

I was on my way to a monthly meeting of my Cub Scout Pack Leaders doing about 45 mph when suddenly the Jeep jerked a bit the dash went dark and then lit up like a chirstmas tree and we continued on. I was right on the 2800 mile mark when it happened.

The engine never cut off, and I was so startled by it that I honestly can't say whether the radio cut off or not. My headlights were on at the time.

My JK is an automatic with the power group.

I'll be glad when they figure this one out and get it fixed.

Britt
Old 03-10-2007, 04:49 PM
JK Freak

My JK is a X/4DR/Auto/Power Group/2,300 mi and had this happen the other day for the first time - I have posted on other threads but also want to keep this alive. Too bad DC doesn't admit the problem and provide for some sort of data collection to see if there are trends or conditions under which this happens. It would be nice to know if they are at least trying to duplicate it versus just pretending it doesn't happen because they can't see an error code.

My idiot lights came on for a second and the radio went off but I couldn't tell if the engine shut off or not - too quick to notice and had let up on the accelerator as I came up on an intersection. I was only doing about 40mph. It hasn't happened again. And my build date is 12/13 - later then the dates in the two TSBs people reference.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Happened to me today, while I was towing.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I ahd the brake flash recall done and the transmission started that grinding thing and then ( I guess) adjusted itself , but then had a stall the same day ....hasn't done it again yet.....weird how after a flash that it would crop up again..
Old 03-12-2007, 07:59 PM
RLandis

Default I'm a new member of the "Stall Bug"

While towing a 5X8 U-Haul trailer, with about 800 lbs of cargo, going up a hill, I gently downshifted, and the stall happened....dash lights all lit up, the jeep sounded like it was in neutral....I shifted to neutral, and back to drive, and all was well.... I'm not a happy camper.

Automatic 4x4...I had a Garmin 330C plugged into one of the power sources, and my Ipod charger in the other. Lights weren't on, tow harness was plugged into the trailer....that's all the variables I can think of.

I think we should start by showing this thread to a regional somebody at "the company"....does anyone have a contact?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:16 AM
RLandis

Default Adminitrator :please Look At This Post

I'm hoping there's someway that we can keep this thread alive, as it involves a very dangerous issue that has been noticed by more than one JK owner.

Quick Reply: Another "Stall Bug" Victim