Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another "Stall Bug" Victim

Old 08-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fattygio
I heard that was because they fixed the problem then.. even know they didnt' bother telling the owners with build dates before that because it would cost them so much to fix it...thats why people were so up in arms...it was not until the National Safety Board investigated Jeep did something about it and released the recall..

uhm, i think you heard wrong, there are a LOT of people with build dates after that magic date that DefunctC claims is cutoff, that claim they have the stall bug.

I for one, beleive them. Not DefunctC
Old 08-11-2007, 05:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)

Two days ago, as I was stopping at a light, my JK stalled...the only light that was on (steady), was the ETC warning light. I put it in park, and it started right back up...light went off. When I got to work I pulled out the manual and read what it said about the ETC. Basically, if it happens and you start the vehicle in park the light should go out and you shouldn't worry about it (yeah right). I was going to bring it up to the dealer the next time I went in for service. The next day my buddies and I went out for lunch, the real problem started when we got back in the Jeep after lunch. As soon as it turned over I could tell something was wrong. The ETC light was flashing and the engine was running rough, the idle was also elevated...about 1300 RPM's. The manual describes all of this and says to get it in for sevice immediatley (DUH!). I did, the Allen-Samuels dealership has been very helpful and are taking very good care of me. We were hoping it would be a quick fix...not so much. They are having to order a new wiring harness. I won't have it back until maybe Wednesday (4 or 5 days). The service writer said he would be more upset if he were me, considering my JK is so new.

Has anyone else run into this ETC thing?
Could it be related to the stall bug?

My Jk has 6100 miles on it and is an Auto Sahara with the power group.:sad:
Old 08-12-2007, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up Stall problem

I have had the same problem when I was on a trip which was about 4000km in total in a maximum temperature of 50C which is very hot, also we were using some times cheap quality of petrol on the trip at the begging I thought that this is the problem. We were traveling in 3 JK's I was the only one who had this problem my engine has stalled twice. The first time I was driving aobut 170km/h and suddenly the jeep went off and the steering became stiff so I parked and started and it worked normally without and problems, the second time it stalled and then it started by itself for few seconds. I have taken the car to the dealer and they had a new program for it so they have programmed it for me and I will try it again, I have felt some difference in the acceleration of the car becuase previously I feel that my JK had power but there is no response when I hit on the throotle. Even when I am driving in desert dunes off-road at low speeds the RPM falls down and the engine doesn't have any power to carry the vehicle. Or the other solution is to use a performance chip or programmer such as . I hope things become better.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:29 AM
JK Freak

Jeep stalled again last Friday twice. First was on a narrow, two lane freeway with no room to pull off. Jeep stays running, pressing the throttle does nothing, but first jeep basically stops quickly on its own. This is the second time my jeep has tried to corn hole me at 55mph. Luckily everyone behind me stopped in time for me to find a place to move over. The red lightning bolt flashes. Turning the key off and restarting gets it going again as if nothing happened. I've already had the "throttle position sensor" replaced to fix this problem. I left it back at the dealer this morning, telling them its not safe for my kids to ride in until it's fixed. The service writer was going to call DC, but thats what he did last time. I also called my salesman from the dealership I purchased my jeep at, and left him a message to expect me to "lemon law" my jeep if it happens again. I guess I don't have much confidence that they will fix it. Jeep has stalled 5 times and I have just over 5k miles. Mine is a 4dr, 6 spd, Rubi. Has anyone with these symptoms had them successfully fixed yet?
Old 08-13-2007, 01:38 PM
JK Freak

DC told my service writer that I needed a new wiring harness under he hood. Should be in tomorrow.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:58 PM
JK Freak

Picked up jeep today, with new wiring harness. Made it 1 block, and engine malfunction light came on. Back into service center. Service writer checked for codes, something about idling too fast, but then a mechanic helped him and the computer showed a problem with the throttle position sensor. They're going to call DC back tomorrow to find out what to try next. They are trying to get me rental car. I'm ready for a new jeep.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just bought my Jeep, is there a way to tell if this service/update has been performed on mine? I really don't want this happening while I'm rolling through traffic.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Default Safety Recall G25 From Dc

I just received a SAFETY RECALL G25 to reprogram the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) on my vehicle. IT STATES THAT THE "TIPM" WAS PROGRAMMED WITH SOFTWARE THAT MAY ALLOW THE ENGINE TO STALL UNDER CERTAIN OPERATEING CONDITIONS. It further goes on to state " This condition could cause a crash without warning".
Old 08-17-2007, 09:38 AM
JK Freak

Yesterday they replaced a computer module, but then the jeep wouldn't even start. They put the original back, and still had same codes for throttle position sensor. They're calling DC back today, and may try another computer module. I'm driving a Sebring now. Can't wait to take it off road.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Moosly
I just received a SAFETY RECALL G25 to reprogram the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) on my vehicle. IT STATES THAT THE "TIPM" WAS PROGRAMMED WITH SOFTWARE THAT MAY ALLOW THE ENGINE TO STALL UNDER CERTAIN OPERATEING CONDITIONS. It further goes on to state " This condition could cause a crash without warning".

Yup, that was issued back on July 2nd, lotsa hubub about it. I had mine done on the 5th of July (just happened to already have an appointment for itright after the recall was announced). It hasnt stalled YET, but that remains to be seen. I had it flashed previously, that worked too, right up until it started haveing fits again.

I am hopefully wrong in being less than enthusiastic about it's success, but i aint holding my breath.

Quick Reply: Another "Stall Bug" Victim