Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another "Stall Bug" Victim

Old 06-28-2007, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition switch, TSB flash, and new torque converter won't fix stall bug...

Originally Posted by red7
I've read several pages in this thread but not every post. Has anyone found that the fixes their dealer did has completely resolved the issue? It's probably too early to know for sure but if one dealer does resolve it then I do sure hope they communicate it to the other dealers. DC should make sure that the dealers are documenting all attempts at fixing it so other dealers know what and what not to try.
After the first and second time it happened, I spoke with the dealership and had them do the torque converter replacement (per the TSB), and they also replaced the ignition switch. The first two stalls happened around 3000 and 5000 miles (one on the highway and one pulling away from a stoplight). In downtown Atlanta last week at 75 mph, it happened again, this time around 12,000 miles. Another thread on this post said the Flash TSB didn't solve it either.
I read a post about DC finally investigating the problem...does anybody know of any new news?

Anyway, my 2 cents. If it has happened, don't bother going to the dealership. It doesn't save any codes, so they can't diagnose it. Just keep waiting until they figure out the problem and send out a recall notice.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think we need to make a list of what does NOT work.
1. Flash
2. Ignition switch

What else?
Old 06-28-2007, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skramer530
Anyway, my 2 cents. If it has happened, don't bother going to the dealership. It doesn't save any codes, so they can't diagnose it. Just keep waiting until they figure out the problem and send out a recall notice.
That's another thing I'm concerned about. I now live down here in Mazatlan, Mexico most of the year but there is a DC dealer a few miles from me. Does anyone know if the factory warranty covers me in Mexico? I'd assume it would seeing as how most jeep owners tend to travel. If it doesn't then it defeats the purpose of buying a new car. Regardless, I'm not sure I'd be as confident having them do it down here unless Jeep comes up with a sure fix and then trains all dealers world wide how to properly fix it. Anyone have any insight on having warranty work done in Canada or Mexico on a vehicle purchased in the US?
Old 06-30-2007, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like I've got to add myself to the list at approx. 13K miles.......70 mph down the freeway and everything shuts off! 2 seconds later it all comes back. What an un nerving feeling!
Old 06-30-2007, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bullsb_00
Looks like I've got to add myself to the list at approx. 13K miles.......70 mph down the freeway and everything shuts off! 2 seconds later it all comes back. What an un nerving feeling!
Did you file a complaint with the NHTSA? The more that do the more pressure DC will get and hopefully the sooner they will put more man hours on finding the fix.

I'm sure when explorers and other vehicles started having Firestone blowouts people didn't realize the severity or scope of the problem until way down the road after many, many accidents and deaths. Thankfully we can be proactive with this one.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bullsb_00
That happened to be yesterday. First time....yeah it IS unnerving.

What is the NHTSA contact info? I will contact them to let them know. IS there anything specific I should say to them?
Old 07-01-2007, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

I've got it too, I'm at 7,000 and it's happened twice. I have the basketball chirp aswell.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Stall With Warning light

Stall problem has hit mine too. I am on vacation 500 miles from home. When I was on the way the Electronic Throttle Control Warning Light came on (Red Lighting bolt). I did what the manual said about turning the key off and it cleared out. I kept going for 300 miles before it came on again. Truck still running fine and I had reservations for Disney. Called a few dealers when I got near my destination and most did not even know what the light was. Kept going since the light would only come on intermittently and I still had no performance issues. I could not tell my kids disney was off and go spend my vacation in a dealership. While the light was on yesterday it stalled out while I was pulling in a parking space. Almost wrecked into a car since I lost power stearing and brakes. Now I am worried if I will make it home to tommorow I am going to the out of town dealer to have it checked out. Cannot be stuck in the southern heat on the side of the road with my kids and husband with badly broke arm. This is a safety issue and could cause someone to get hurt. Anyone else have this light come on? Guess I may not make it home tommorrow like planned.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JeepDog
What is the NHTSA contact info? I will contact them to let them know. IS there anything specific I should say to them?
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=2634&page=19
see post 182
Old 07-01-2007, 05:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Mine is at 5300 miles, but I bought it used with 3875 miles on it. It hasn't done it since I bought it. Don't know about the previous owner.

Quick Reply: Another "Stall Bug" Victim