Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another "Stall Bug" Victim

Old 06-26-2007, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: Day 29 of JK ownership.
Still no solution. Still driving a rental.
The dealer has now put $13000 in new parts. They finally got it to run again, well the sorry thing has no power. "It" will move, slowly. Whatever

I was thinking of all the people that had a hand in making.... My Pre-cious, lol
who busted arse and got it right, just to have some one half-arse there contribution and f up the whole thing!

DC or whoever you are now.... If you get it to run, I will buy it.... again!
Old 06-26-2007, 09:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deadspot
I am curious, did they actually say they acknowledge that a stall problem exists and the throttle control harness replacement was in direct response to that issue? I wonder if the basis for that came from DC - seems like it if more than one dealer had the same response.
Not sure. They were pretty hush hush but the ones that have had to deal with it advised me that they had dc engineers involved. Several other dealers just told me hmmmm. I've never heard of that. Now to get it in and see what happens....
Old 06-26-2007, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

DAMN, this is really concerning! I just placed an order for an '08 Sahara unlimited on Saturday and this stall issues makes me nervous seeing as how I'm shelling out some serious money for a new car. Can you guys answer some questions?

1. How likely is it that DC is implementing a fix on this in the '08's?

2. I live in Mazatla, Mexico most of the year so will Jeep's warranty cover me if I have to take it to the Chrysler/Jeep dealer here in Mazatlan?

3. What happens on an automatic when it dies do the wheels lock up until you can get it out of gear?

I'm not as concerned about it if I'm driving but it scares me to think about my wife drving it with my 2 year daughter in the back as people drive crazy here and if it died right as someone is cutting her off it would not be good. This really sucks because it's one of those rare things but given the right circumstances it could be really, really bad. I'll keep an eye on this issue and may have to cancel my order if they can't resolve it.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:26 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by red7
DAMN, this is really concerning! I just placed an order for an '08 Sahara unlimited on Saturday and this stall issues makes me nervous seeing as how I'm shelling out some serious money for a new car. Can you guys answer some questions?

1. How likely is it that DC is implementing a fix on this in the '08's?

2. I live in Mazatla, Mexico most of the year so will Jeep's warranty cover me if I have to take it to the Chrysler/Jeep dealer here in Mazatlan?

3. What happens on an automatic when it dies do the wheels lock up until you can get it out of gear?

I'm not as concerned about it if I'm driving but it scares me to think about my wife drving it with my 2 year daughter in the back as people drive crazy here and if it died right as someone is cutting her off it would not be good. This really sucks because it's one of those rare things but given the right circumstances it could be really, really bad. I'll keep an eye on this issue and may have to cancel my order if they can't resolve it.
I have an auto. It dies and comes back on within 2 seconds. Mine does it alot. Most have been no problem. My last stall got my attention. If it would of been my wife driving I'm sure she'd a wrecked it! My dealer in Ontario Ca. says they have fixed two that have come in. They have not come back (yet) My service advisor seems pretty cool and understands my concerns. We have an appointment for July 10th to drop it off. I will stay on top of everything they do. I will post my invoice to show what they do and part #'s. Stay tuned.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_)
My last stall got my attention. If it would of been my wife driving I'm sure she'd a wrecked it!
That's scary and exactly what I'm afraid of. I appreciate your post and hopefully you'll be able to report back that they fixed it because it doesn't sound like DC as a company knows what's causing it. Hopefully they can and can implement it into the '08s. The good thing is that I have several months before mine will be delivered so there is time to decide whether I'll cancel it or not.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

mine just finally got done, according to the stealership it is caused by the ignition switch, it went in for it last week, and after 8 hours they had to order another part (musta broke something) and the key reminder chime went off whenever the door was open, even if the key wasnt in.....so it went in today for the other part and the ESP TSB, was told it would take an hours, sat there for 2 1/2 then they gave me a toyota carolla untill it was fixed, what is up with toyotas, this is the 3rd loaner they have givin me, JEEP is a lemon and they cant fix a roof leak, toyotas are made for orangatans or something...get your arms on the steering wheel and your knees are by your ears!!!! sorry had to complain 3 hours later got the jeep back..and every thing is working......for now anyways, but i have heard on the boards that others have gotten the ignition switch fixed for this problem....... ....i had the stall bug hit at 70 mph.....i filed a complaint with nhsb everyone needs to file complains and dailmler needs to address this before there are more accidents
Old 06-27-2007, 08:18 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ocakyoshimma
mine just finally got done, according to the stealership it is caused by the ignition switch, it went in for it last week, and after 8 hours they had to order another part (musta broke something) and the key reminder chime went off whenever the door was open, even if the key wasnt in.....so it went in today for the other part and the ESP TSB, was told it would take an hours, sat there for 2 1/2 then they gave me a toyota carolla untill it was fixed, what is up with toyotas, this is the 3rd loaner they have givin me, JEEP is a lemon and they cant fix a roof leak, toyotas are made for orangatans or something...get your arms on the steering wheel and your knees are by your ears!!!! sorry had to complain 3 hours later got the jeep back..and every thing is working......for now anyways, but i have heard on the boards that others have gotten the ignition switch fixed for this problem....... ....i had the stall bug hit at 70 mph.....i filed a complaint with nhsb everyone needs to file complains and dailmler needs to address this before there are more accidents

Anyway you can post the partial invoice with what they did and part #'s that were used? Obviously blank out any personal stuff.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

It seems that all dealerships are all doing the same replacement of parts in a effort to fix the problem. Do the dealers not communicate with each other?

DC and the dealers are wasting a lot of money doing the same "Non-Working" replacements. Swapping parts I guess buys them time, cheaper than buying back all the stalling jeeps.

Next time I'm at the dealership I'll try and get an invoice copy and see exactly what $13000 in parts they put in it.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mage
It seems that all dealerships are all doing the same replacement of parts in a effort to fix the problem. Do the dealers not communicate with each other?

DC and the dealers are wasting a lot of money doing the same "Non-Working" replacements. Swapping parts I guess buys them time, cheaper than buying back all the stalling jeeps.

Next time I'm at the dealership I'll try and get an invoice copy and see exactly what $13000 in parts they put in it.

I've read several pages in this thread but not every post. Has anyone found that the fixes their dealer did has completely resolved the issue? It's probably too early to know for sure but if one dealer does resolve it then I do sure hope they communicate it to the other dealers. DC should make sure that the dealers are documenting all attempts at fixing it so other dealers know what and what not to try.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by red7
I've read several pages in this thread but not every post. Has anyone found that the fixes their dealer did has completely resolved the issue? It's probably too early to know for sure but if one dealer does resolve it then I do sure hope they communicate it to the other dealers. DC should make sure that the dealers are documenting all attempts at fixing it so other dealers know what and what not to try.

Well, i dont know what does work, but i can verify the TSB flash DOESNT work.

Quick Reply: Another "Stall Bug" Victim