Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another "Stall Bug" Victim

Old 06-16-2007, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there is a recall...
Old 06-16-2007, 08:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepnoob
I had about 3600 miles on it before it stalled. Surprised it took so long and I just hope I'm not in the thick of traffic downtown when it happens again. Hopefully someone with a more severe case can get a local news station to do a report.
I just passed the 4k mark and it hasn't happened to me yet (knock on wood)...I often drive w/ my 4 year old son and we drive on the highway (averaging 70mph) but does have pockets of bumper to bumper traffic...needless to say, this is a major concern for me as well and I never drive feeling too relaxed these days just because of the fear of the damn "stall bug"...I really hope DC finds the cause and fixes it soon.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Coincidence?
My jeep stallled the other day for the first time ,and this was the day that i bought my gas from a station (Getty) that uses % of ethanol, my MPG went from
18.2 to 16.4 and it felt sluggish . Today i went to Exxon and i'm back at 18.2 MPG
33 inch tires no lift
Old 06-20-2007, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

It finally happened to me this afternoon (@ 3400 miles). I was making a right on RED onto a 6 lane and it just died when I got out in traffic. Really pissed off the guy that flew up on me, but I would have had plenty of room had the engine NOT DIED!!! Restarted itself and ran fine the rest of today. WEIRD!!!! I was planning to leave for GA with it Saturday, but will drive my Expedition now. What a waste!!!
Old 06-20-2007, 02:00 PM
-

I dont have a Jeep Yet but I've been doing lots of serearching look at this
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...DATE/706040397

"There is a TSB out on the issue -its number 18-036-06. It calls for a PCM flash on Wranglers built before 11/10/2006. Presumably this would mean Wrangerls built after this date do not have this problem. The people that I have talked to that have had this flash done tell me it solved their problems. " -Source Yahoo Answers

Last edited by Caboose; 06-20-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:55 AM
JK Newbie

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Caboose

"There is a TSB out on the issue -its number 18-036-06. It calls for a PCM flash on Wranglers built before 11/10/2006. Presumably this would mean Wrangerls built after this date do not have this problem. The people that I have talked to that have had this flash done tell me it solved their problems. " -Source Yahoo Answers
That is not always true. I have a build date of 12/13 and my Sahara still stalled.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Who has the most recent build date and a "Stall Bug" Victim? It would be obvious to me that they are still producing JK's with the problem since they don't seem to know what it is.

What's up with the braided grounding strap that hangs too close to the battery post when the hood is down? Could that be some type electrical issue or is it too obvious to consider?
Old 06-21-2007, 05:56 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Caboose

been there, done that, that flash didnt do shit.

early build JK (September '06) Auto, no power group. TSB flash 18-036-06 was done in January of '07.

Shot of underhood decal from the flash:

Reported it to Jeep, they blew me off in one of their "canned" emails.
Filed a complaint with NHTSA.
Had it to the dealership repeatedly. No resolution.
It stalled AGAIN monday am on my way to work.
It goes back to the dealer YET AGAIN on the 5th.

It stalls at any and all speeds, under any and all throttle conditions, at any and all fill level on the gas tank, I have tried switching gas stations multiple times, every possible combination of lights/radio/blower etc. on and or off that you can come up with, sacrificing chickens, carrying rabbits feet, short of ramming a horseshoe up my a$$, I am out of options.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:58 PM
-

this is making me think twice about getting the '08
Old 06-21-2007, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Diagnosing Stall Problem

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but since I'm not sure and I'm sure not too many other folks knows whether it's an electrical problem or what.

Was at the dealership the other day talking with a service advisor and he stated that if a customer complains about the JK stall problem (although he said he's seen it on Libertys(?) as far back as 05!), they have what he called a "Copilot" they can install on a vehicle (similar to a black box). When the stall happens, the customer can press a button and it records the previous 40 seconds of activity! (apparently the recording mechanism only records 40 seconds and keeps writing over the data until the button is pressed).

His opinion is that the battery is the cause. Why? He says some of the batteries are pretty cheaply built and what is happening is that one or more of the plates inside the battery come loose. While driving along, one will hit the other causing a short and the vehicle quits. When you pull over, it's no longer touching the other plate so you restart the vehicle and go on your way! Just his opinion!

Quick Reply: Another "Stall Bug" Victim