Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another "Stall Bug" Victim

Old 01-31-2007, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made another thread last week about my Auto JK "X" Unlimited Jerking/Grinding. Service Tech Guys said that the Torque Converter is almost gone. Last week they didn't have any new infromation from DC on fixing the Computer. They told them fairly soon. I hear it could be this Friday. If that's the case, I'll be getting a new Torque Converter, and an update on the system.

Now that it has about 1400 miles on it, I did experience a stall. It shut off while I was at a complete stop at a Red Light. No problems starting it, but it shook a little, and died.

I absolutely LOVE my JK, but I can certainly do without these types of problems. If my Dealer can't fix it, or if DC prolongs the release of such fixes, we (Like most other State's) have a Lemon Law. I'm not going to pay on something that I can't drive. The Dealer told me to drive it as is, and that they would fix everything once they get the info from DC. Should I break down, they said they would tow it. I didn't buy this Vehicle to have it sit in my Garage and stare at it all day. If I wanted to do that, I would have bought a painting. I'm not happy, and I hope that DC will correct these issues SOON!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:28 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cmnah
How long did you not have power - 1 second or more than that?
Probably a second, maybe two at the most. I had enough presence of mind to neutral it and hit the key, It fired right back up. but dayum that was scary.

I am afraid that if my better half would have been driving, it would have turned out a bit differently. She is a good driver, but panics on those bridges when there arent cars around, throw a stalled rolling vehicle on top of that, coulda been disastorous.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:48 AM
JK Newbie

Dont get me wrong...I am not claiming it does not happen on automatics. I am not saying anything like that at all. I am just saying that I have heard of this happening in the 6 speed as well and experienced it firsthand. I just didnt want the finger pointed squarely at the automatic tranny as the problem when I dont think it has anything to do with tranny type. Some people may have bad trannies, but that is different than the stall bug.

No doubt about it...any way you slice it its a dangerous bug.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:55 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sponge
Dont get me wrong...I am not claiming it does not happen on automatics. I am not saying anything like that at all. I am just saying that I have heard of this happening in the 6 speed as well and experienced it firsthand. I just didnt want the finger pointed squarely at the automatic tranny as the problem when I dont think it has anything to do with tranny type. Some people may have bad trannies, but that is different than the stall bug.

No doubt about it...any way you slice it its a dangerous bug.
I understood, same as you though, I just dont want anyone thinking "because i have an auto", or "because i have a standard" that this doesnt happen, it does, to both. :sad:

The bad tranny/torn up converters seems to be a different issue than the stalling.

I fully expected a few bugs in a first year release, and i always swore i would never ever buy one, but i did.
Some of these little "bugs" could kill someone in the right circumstances.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:31 PM
JK Newbie

Exactly. I know I researched like a maniac when I was deciding between tranny types in the jeep and I was just trying to throw my two cents in to keep misinformation from influencing a potential buyers decision. It seems like both trannies have a few issues but both are a pretty small percentage of the total units sold (not that it makes you feel any better if you are in that small percentage).

This stall bug, however, pretty much impacts everyone...at least it has the potential to happen to everyone.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

hey I was thinking about tis today and what is the possibility that this is a power loss and then coming right back on, kinda like turning ignition off then on...it explains the lights coming on just like when you turn the key....I say this because when it happened to me my radar detector went off and back on ,That means cigarette lighter went dead....cigarette lighter is a heavy amp draw circuit and my guess is does not go thru computer, radio stayed on like if you turn key off it won't go off until you open a door. so this elminates a loose connection at the battery itself ( correct or incorrect?) The altinators regulator may not switch fast enough to keep the ignition on if there is a major battery power loss....just thinking here brainstormin ya know?
Old 01-31-2007, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mslc10
hey I was thinking about tis today and what is the possibility that this is a power loss and then coming right back on, kinda like turning ignition off then on...it explains the lights coming on just like when you turn the key....I say this because when it happened to me my radar detector went off and back on ,That means cigarette lighter went dead....cigarette lighter is a heavy amp draw circuit and my guess is does not go thru computer, radio stayed on like if you turn key off it won't go off until you open a door. so this elminates a loose connection at the battery itself ( correct or incorrect?) The altinators regulator may not switch fast enough to keep the ignition on if there is a major battery power loss....just thinking here brainstormin ya know?
I was also thinking along these lines with everything that is electronic and all the draws is the alternator adaquate to handle all of the major draws (taillights, cigarette plugs, etc...) is there available a heavyer duty altenator that can be put on this 3.8L also the hard starts and things maybe a bigger CCA battery? also just brainstormin for a solution
Old 01-31-2007, 09:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I literally just picked up my jk from the dealer to have the flash. half way home it died and did the usual off, lights and back on again. I drive 150 miles a day from Ontario to Van nuys in rush hour traffic in the carpool lane. So......when I get a prius shoved up my butt.......Hey DC get this fixed!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mwilkie
Just got back from the dealership. No TSB currently available for my Jeep.
No scan codes either. The tech went through all the fuses to make sure they were not any wiggling around and also made sure that all the ground wires were tight....
As dunslider said, if they can't see it they can't fix it.
One of the service writers did metion that these computers learn as they go along and when they are new sometimes have problems....
anyone heard that before?

On the good side...new seals for the hardtop and no more leaks....

Marc
2dr Sahara Black
Learn as they go? My owners manual says nothing about AI.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the mean time, would a yellow top Optima battery work?
Just for a little more voltage than the batteries already in there.

Quick Reply: Another "Stall Bug" Victim