Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another "Stall Bug" Victim

Old 06-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or what Piginajeep just said.

I'm late.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My story...

I have been married for 24 years, and am the mother of 3. I took my family into our Southern California dealership on Memorial Day to get my husband his JK fully loaded, with only 14 miles on the odometer.

We managed to drive it 3 miles before the first two stalls. Dealership took it for service, and couldn't find the stall in the computer. Said it was fine! We managed to drive it another 3 miles before it stalled 4 consecutive times, and wouldn't start. Dealership took it back in for service, and swore they would fix problem. This happened all in the first 24 hours of ownership...

We realized this vehicle may be defective, and when we asked they just give us another one (Mind you, we paid over 35k), dealership wouldn't even consider this an option! "You bought THIS JK, and if it has anymore problems after this, just bring it back and we'll fix it, because it is under a service contract".

My husband had been on the Jeep websites for months looking at this model, so on the 3rd day of ownership I went to these websites. And, to my amazement, I began seeing too many people talking about just the same problem! I am an intelligent woman, and a loving mother and wife, and I realized I had to get rid of this vehicle!! I started by complaining to DC in Auburn Hills, MI, but they didn't seem too concerned - even when I mentioned how many people were talking about THIS SAME problem online...

My family lives on the top of a 4300 foot mountain. My husband drives up and down this mountain from the Cajon Pass on the 15fwy to work EVERY DAY. This is the 3rd most dangerous road in the WORLD! (see the Discovery channel special on "The most dangerous roads in the world".) Our family vacations every summer weekend on the next mountain over from us - up another 2-3 thousand feet to Big Bear, where it is literally a two lane road with NOWHERE to pull over, it just drops off the side of the mountain!

So, my concern was this: when our JK stalled again, and my husband had to manually control his JK going down a steep decline, and ended up in an accident or dead: or when I (who stands 5' 3", @ 106 pounds) had to manually control our JK when returning home from our weekend trip WITH MY CHILDREN IN THE VEHICLE, couldn't manage those snaking roads and end up injuring or killing my family, - HOW WAS THE DEALERSHIP GOING TO FIX THIS?

I did what was my duty to do - I complained to each and every place that you can! I went to the websites and offered information to ALL Jeep owners (No, it is not just the JK with stall problems - it is occuring in ALL 07 models, though maybe not in EVERY Jeep). Because, as I see it, we should not have to have many injuries and/or deaths occur BEFORE this defect is addressed, not when it is evident there IS a defect NOW! And, if I can save my family from being hurt - if I can help save anyone else from being hurt, then it was all worth the time and effort.

As of today, my JK is still in the service center. They have replaced EVERYTHING the engineers told them to, and it won't even start! I am waiting for the days to pass, so DC will take it off my hands. My problem is almost over - but for all 07 Jeep owners, well, all I can say is be diligent with your complaints. Stalling at highway speeds IS a safety issue. And the only way to get to the bottom of this problem is to complain ENOUGH to the right places so DC will have no choice but to spend the time and money to find and fix this defect.

It is my hope that my husband can one day be a Jeep owner. But not until this issue is resolved.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

Unhappy Add me to the list

I got my X Unlimited the last week of January. I was so excited. We searched multiple states so I could have the one I wanted. It's now June and is in the shop again due to stalling on me. I am a slightly advanced case since in 6mn I have almost 12k miles but still.

First time I was driving 45-50 and was headed out of town. Everything shut off on me and then luckly turned right back but very scary. I tool it for a glitch until it happened again. After the second time (I was in a drive thru line) I went straight to the dealer and was told the computer showed nothing and I had the latest flash. This third time I was jsut oging to get an oil hcange done and the same day it stalled...so added that to the list. I am getting it back today after they have had it for 8 days. They also had to replace the transfer case and I haven't even taken it off road yet.

I'm about to go get it and hope all is fixed. My next step is to write to Chrysler so that if it keeps happening I can qualify for a lemon law.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepnoob
Out of town right now...12 hours away from home. Jeep stalled in traffic for the 1st time. Scared the beejeezus out of me. Looking forward to the next one...will contact dealer soon.:sad:

Oh,
Automatic, power group, had lights and radio on...

How many miles were on your JK when it happened?
Old 06-13-2007, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

Default More than JKs

If you search you will find that the commander has 76 complaints with 2 accidents. The JK still lists 53. This happened to me on a busy free way yesterday. Not good. I was alone, but I often have 3 kids in the back.

Please register your complaints.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:25 AM
JK Newbie

Default I did my part

This is so messed up, how can it be acceptable that people are "afraid" to drive their car? And come on, most of you have clearly indicated this is not a "nuisance" but rather a "major concern" I know it is for me! I can handle nuisances, but I don't care for "being concerned" for my safety from my own vehicle!

I filed with the NHTSA, and I talked to my dealer yesterday and was told, "We have never heard of any problem" At least they were honest in telling me that with the symptoms described there will be no diagnostic codes indicating any trouble because clearly the computer will have been wiped so there is no point in running them. Hmmm, It almost sounds like a classic "virus"..stupid computers.

Ok, how does one communicate their concerns with DC and does it really help? Does one just call and talk to a receptionist? I understand lemon laws don't help, because you only get back blue book of the vehicles current value, so one still owes a boatload. I lease though, so I have no idea what happens then.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Default Day 17 - mission accomplished!

DC called me directly to ask - do I want them to "replace" my JK, or send me a check for my "downpayment"? So, for all my complaining, rather loudly mind you, my JK problem is gone. I will take my downpayment and get my husband "something safe" to drive to work, until this stall bug issue is resolved.

I am glad to see that most of you are taking this issue "quite seriously", and that you are following suit in filing complaints. This is how the system is SUPPOSED to work, it is why these agencies were created in the first place.

I hope DC is capable to finding the defect, and repairing it soon. I hope each and every one of you remains safe until then!
Old 06-14-2007, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FzyPchz
How many miles were on your JK when it happened?
I had about 3600 miles on it before it stalled. Surprised it took so long and I just hope I'm not in the thick of traffic downtown when it happens again. Hopefully someone with a more severe case can get a local news station to do a report.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Has anyone experienced the stall at low speed or off-road?

Last week, we were on a very tight switch back trail. I was working the Jeep around a very steep and tight up hill corner. Behind us was a steep drop-off. It is an automatic but I was working the brake and the gas at the same time just in case we lost traction and rolled backwards. It was not a hill that you would want to roll off of.

Anyway, as the Jeep was crawling over some rocks it lost traction and bucked a bit and then stalled/turned off. Kind of scary since we instantly started to roll backwards. Luckily I was covering the brake and stopped after rolling only a foot or two. Still it was a bit unnerving.

If it were not for reading about the stall but I would figure that we just bumped around and the stalling was an anomaly.

Did we experience the stall bug?
Old 06-16-2007, 06:19 PM
JK Freak

My stall was in traffic...traffic was completely stopped and then it was like I was in Area 51! The engine cut of, the power went off...back on, and I restarted the engine myself. Weird!

Quick Reply: Another "Stall Bug" Victim