Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another "Stall Bug" Victim

Old 06-07-2007, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stall Bug - Stock Stereo variable?

Just curious if those of you that have had the stall bug, still have the stock stereo, speakers, and if applicable stock amplifiers. Just curious if this could be a possible variable in the stall bug.

I haven't (knock on wood) had the stall bug issue, current mileage is @ 5000 miles, but we replaced the stock stereo and speakers the first weekend we had our JK.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thought I was a lucky one

Well, it got me too. 40mph in 4th (manual) and the radio shuts off warning lights come on. Just as quickly as it happened, everything came back on and I continued driving. 2080miles, no cruise control, manual transmission. Thought I was one of the lucky ones who didn't have the problem. Thought wrong.

Submitted the complaint to NHTSA this morning. Have a hard time believing only 53 people have filed the complaint.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:55 AM
JK Freak

Out of town right now...12 hours away from home. Jeep stalled in traffic for the 1st time. Scared the beejeezus out of me. Looking forward to the next one...will contact dealer soon.:sad:

Oh,
Automatic, power group, had lights and radio on...
Old 06-11-2007, 04:24 AM
JK Freak

Default UPDATE! NHTSA.org

Here's what NHTSA.org has done so far with the complaints:

NHTSA Action Number: NHTSA Recall Campaign Number:
PE07027 N/A
Make: JEEP Model: WRANGLER 2-DR 4X4
Manufacturer : DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION
Year : 2007
Component :
ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
POWER TRAIN:MANUAL TRANSMISSION
POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

Date Investigation Opened : May 29, 2007
Date Investigation Closed : Open
Summary:
ODI HAS RECEIVED 53 CONSUMER COMPLAINTS ALLEGING INCIDENTS OF ENGINE STALL IN MODEL YEAR 2007 JEEP WRANGLER VEHICLES. MOST OF THE COMPLAINTS ALLEGE THAT THE STALL OCCURRED SUDDENLY AND WITHOUT WARNING WHILE TRAVELING AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS. THE MAJORITY OF COMPLAINTS ALLEGE EXPERIENCING STALL INCIDENTS ON MORE THAN ONE OCCASION. IN 12 OF THE INCIDENTS, A LOSS OF ELECTRICAL POWER RESULTING IN A LOSS OF VEHICLE LIGHTING ALLEGEDLY OCCURRED AT THE SAME TIME AS THE ENGINE STALL. A PRELIMINARY EVALUATION HAS BEEN OPENED TO ASSESS THE FREQUENCY, SCOPE AND SAFETY CONSEQUENCES OF THE ALLEGED DEFECT IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES.

Hopefully this will expedite things!
Old 06-11-2007, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

The problem is a major defect that DC cannot find - most service departments are baffled, and continue to replace the same parts. IT WILL CONTINUE TO HAPPEN, UNTIL YOU FILE YOUR COMPLAINTS! It can happen to EVERYONE who bought an 07 Jeep of any model, because we have no idea what the defect is!! DC MUST recall ALL 07 models until they find the defect, and the ONLY way to force them to do this BEFORE there are many deaths is TO FILE YOUR COMPLAINTS! Take it from me, I know, I filed over 900 complaints, and my problem has been "taken off my hands", so I KNOW what i am talking about!!

After 40 hours of research, more than 906 phone calls to various Federal, State and local agencies, Lawyers, News Media, and any and everyone else I could think of, I have compiled the list of the top most important places to lodge your complaints. I referenced this JK website to back up my claim that I was not alone in experiencing this stall bug issue. Most agencies added the website in their file to substantiate my claim. So, if you get any calls from any of these agencies, you have me to thank.

You MUST contact all of them. I know, it’s a pain , and time consuming, but if you are willing to spend all that money on your JK, can’t you spend the time to make sure it runs right and have some piece of mind?

So, contact EVERYONE on the list. Keep detailed records of who you speak with, reference numbers. Make sure you put in the time and date. Keep all your records together with your service orders, as it may all be needed later for a class action lawsuit.

If you are thinking LEMONLAW, forget it. In most states, the dealer has to buy back your “used” vehicle, minus the mileage. If you bought new, you could still owe thousands.

We may be only a small community of owners who are having this problem, and if you haven’t experienced it yet, isn’t it awful to wonder when and where you might?

The only way to get the attention of someone who could possibly get the ball rolling is to flood the offices and agencies with complaints, and let the News Media get flooded too, and maybe after 20, 50 or more they will begin to see they have a problem…

Complete the list. Keep your records. And watch the power of the American way at work.

1. DaimlerChrysler Customer Assistance Center
1-800-992-1997 open Mon-Fri 8-5 central
This is DC headquarters in Auburn Hills, Michigan. When you call, record the name of the person you speak to. You will get a reference number for your complaint, so record that too. After your second complaint, OR, if you have had more than one bug problem, you will be assigned a case manager. This will take time. Don’t forget to call back as often as possible(I call everyday with my reference number to remind them I’m waiting for the case manager to call). No one likes to be “bugged”!

2. Better Business Bureau Autoline Claim Intake
www.auto.bbb.org/odrweb/public/GetStarted.aspx
This agency affects the Dealership. Were they a Five Star? Not now. Dealerships don’t like the BBB reports for the public to see, and it can give you more leverage to work with them.

3. BAR - Bureau of Automotive Repair
1-800-952-5210
This is the governing agency over ALL auto repair shops. While investigating your report, they may discover many more who didn’t visit our forum, or make any complaints.

4. National Highway Transportation Safety Administration
1-800-424-9393 or www.NHTSA.gov/
Go to bottom of page and click on File a Complaint About a Vehicle or Child Seat Now.

5. Center for Auto Safety
1-202-328-7700
This is Washigton. Report your problems. Record names, dates, times.

6. Car Dept. of Motor Vehicles
www.carconsumers.com
This is like calling 911 and reporting an accident BEFORE it happens. They might even ask you WHY you called. Tell them is shouldn’t take scraping your buddy off the road with a shovel for them to take your complaint. My story:”If we had known the terrorist were going to fly the planes into the twin towers, would we have let them board the planes to begin with? Why should we have to be the lab rats to see if possibly the bug will or will not happen, and endanger ourselves, our families, and any other drivers our large uncontrollable vehicles may run over?” After I explained that my husband drives on the 3rd most dangerous highway in the world, on the most dangerous part of that highway (The Cajon Pass) which is the road upon which all importing and exporting is traveling, up and down a mountain that drops off about 2000 feet on one side, and has semis coming down a 90 degree incline on the other, they were more than happy to take my complaint and talk to me for more than 40 minutes.

7. Federal Trade Commission
1-877-382-4357 or www.FTC.gov
You will be on hold for a long time. But all the agents in this office report to ONE person. Again, after 20, 50 or so complaints we may get his interest… So, don’t swear, be polite, state all your facts. Get your agents name. Make sure you tell them you are concerned for the safety of ALL JK owners, and those they could kill when they have no brakes!

8. Department of Corporations
1-866-275-2677
This is the governing body who watches international imports and exports. If a faulty vehicle is being imported, they have the power to STOP DC from delivering all JK’s until this bug is worked out.

9. www.citizen.org/autosafety/
Wonderful citizen watch group with money behind them, working the floor in Washington, DC.

10. www.CBSNews.com
Call the news desk. Tell them you have a story. You are patriotic, and want to save lives. Expain to them you have no brakes and no steering when experiencing the bug. After 50 or so calls concerning this, maybe someone will se this as a story!

11. www.MSNBC.MSN.com/
Ditto.

And, ONLY for those of you who live in California, Complete ALL of this list.

1. California Department of Consumer Affairs www.dca.ca.gov/acp or 1-916-574-7350
2. California New Motor Vehicle Board www.nmvb.ca.gov or 1-916-445-1888

3. California Department of Insurance Hotline
1-800-927-4357
This agency governs all insurance agencies, and could possibly cancel coverage for any/all insurance companies to cover JK’s until defect is fixed, which shuts DC down! No one will buy a car they can’t insure.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

We have two 2007 4dr wrangler Sahara, automatics The oldest one at 3500 miles is doing it all, stalling, air bag light on, check engine light on, transmission stumbling etc. The other has yet to do anything bad at 2100 miles. No clue why or why not, but I am writing it all up and I sent the NTSB a complaint.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dropped in to me dealer Saturday to get a new air cleaner filter. I walked over to service and talked to them regarding my stall bug. I was advised by my service writer that he is aware of the problem and that they have fixed two so far. They had Jeep engineers on both. I asked what was done to fix the problem. Part #'s etc. He would not give me info. I asked If I could have them pre-order the parts to speed up the time they have my Jeep. NOPE! I was advised that they will need to call out the engineers to investigate it and go from there. Sounds like they are going to throw parts at it and hope it goes away.

How do I print this entire thread?

Last edited by CLACKEY(_!_); 06-11-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

Default stall with intermittant warbling?

I have had my 4 door JK stall at slow speeds thankfully. Around 4K miles. My drive to work is known city wide as the Death Strip..there are no fender benders..just horrible, usually fatal wrecks so a sudden change in steering or brake behavior gives me the willies.

I have noticed though after the stall that I am hearing a relatively faint warbling, and it sounds like it's coming from the fan belt or pulleys, it's not a squeal per se. This squeal did not appear before I had a stall, albeit a minor stall, I still had electronics I think but I wasn't checking as traffic did not permit me to "look around"and it came back in a couple seconds, other than that I get the intermittant chugging one gets when a car is about to stall or misfire. I drive alot so I use gas quickly so I do not believe the chugging to be bad gas. I wonder about the warbling though and could it be related to the stall bug? Anyone else get a similar sound?

With the Jeep being new to me and not know it's belt(s) set-up I am not sure what is all being driven by it.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:03 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_)
Dropped in to me dealer Saturday to get a new air cleaner filter. I walked over to service and talked to them regarding my stall bug. I was advised by my service writer that he is aware of the problem and that they have fixed two so far. They had Jeep engineers on both. I asked what was done to fix the problem. Part #'s etc. He would not give me info. I asked If I could have them pre-order the parts to speed up the time they have my Jeep. NOPE! I was advised that they will need to call out the engineers to investigate it and go from there. Sounds like they are going to throw parts at it and hope it goes away.

go to thread tools at the top and select print thread... if you cant let me know, i'll email it to you.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_)

Go to the "Thread Tools" button near the middlish upper right of the thread. Hit that. In the pulldown, hit "show printable version" then hit print in the browser.

Quick Reply: Another "Stall Bug" Victim