Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another "Stall Bug" Victim

Old 05-30-2007, 05:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Stall Bug Member
Happened Tuesday 5/29/07.
4813 miles.
Sitting at a red light......

Last edited by BARNO; 06-01-2007 at 03:53 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

I think I Was a stall victim. I was about 30 miles deep after the fuel light came on. wascoming to a stop... got to a complete stop and radio blinked and all the lights came on... I thought i ran out of gas. but started right back up. thought maybe a pick up issue.. but at the pump I got 16.6 gallons and the tank is what 18 or so?

2 door WRangler X
6 spd.... 2500 miles
only options are AC

not sure of build date but got it in the end of january.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:05 PM
JK Newbie

Bought my JK in November 2006. I now have 17000+ km on her.

1st time was at 120 kph on the hwy., dash lights up, engine shudders, radio goes out, etc., etc. I took it in and got the computer flashed.

2nd time, I don't remember the details.

3rd time was two weeks ago. Driving 50 kph, this time the dash lights up, radio cuts out but the engine was not affected.

I will have it checked out again and see what TSBs Jeep can provide me again.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

New Stall Victim:

2007 4-door Unlimited, 6 speed. I was traveling down a very congested highway at about 60mph. Had to hit the brakes fast and I noticed that the lights on the dash lit up, bell sounded; gas gauge hit empty, the car stalled, but started back up and continued to run. After about 3 minutes all of the instruments went back to normal.

If they don't get this thing fixed, the first one to wreck their Jeep because of this will be the new owner of Chrysler. This is dangerous; it's well documented by now; its a problem that's been made known to Chrysler; and it's been ignored. Wait until some Personal Injury lawyer makes his case before a jury after a small child is crushed in an accident due to the STALL BUG.

Personally, I think it happens when a slight power surge plagues some component in the computer board. If I were Chrysler, I'd pay TWICE what an owner paid for the JK just to get the car back for complete diognostic tests. Dumb move for Chrysler - some lawyer is going to get massively rich on this.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:01 PM
KDW
JK Newbie

I agree that someone is going to get hurt and Chrysler will be sued. It has happened to me twice. Both at freeway speeds in bumper to bumper traffic. The last time it happened I took it to a different dealer, they replaced the ignition switch. I hope everyone that has had this happen is filing a complaint with the NHTSA. Keep a copy of you service report were they tell you they cant reproduce it. By filing the complaint with the NHTSA if you are in an accident you will be holding a winning lottery ticket! I hate to be like that, but they need to get of their ass and fix this.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:50 PM
JK Freak

WOW this is very scary I just bought my Jeep on monday It has 600 Miles... it has not stall yet .... but after reading this post I am very concern,,, Does this problem afect all models ????
Old 05-31-2007, 09:44 PM
JK Newbie

hey people! i have a 2dr, 6spd, and mine gave me the same problem 3 times ( the first one with 55miles, the second one with 2087mile, the third one with 6099miles), first they said they couldnt duplicate the problem, , so the assume it was nothing special, the second time that happened i took the jeep to another dealership and they said the had fix the problem that was only the conection from the radio but than it happened again so i try another dealership and i got lucky because the shop foreman had another 2 jeep with the same problem a 4dr auto and a 2dr auto , so he said they need to change the wire harness and check the computer. well i got it back i drive it every day and its been 2500 miles and i havent have any other problems with it.it a stock jeep wrangler x but now im willing to take the chance and make some upgrades like suspension and tires so ill let you guys know how it go.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKinPA
Hi Guys,

I too have had this happen to me twice. Once was in a parking lot as I was pulling out of it. I had to shut down and start again to get moving again. This was the first time so didnt notice much other than the jeep shut down on me.

The second time it happened I payed a bit more attention. It happened as i was driving on a road going down-hill. When it happened I was playing my Ipod via the Aux input and also had a GPS plugged into the other socket. All power on my jk just seemed to have left. The dash blinked then shut off, the engine felt like it completely shut off and then immediately started up again and all audio, AC fans, and wipers cut off when it happened.

My jk is a 2-door Sahara and is in the dealership as i write this,

I took it in for the following problems:

1) The steering wheel was cocked (They said an alignment fixed it but I havent gotten the jeep back to verify that)

2) the Starter would occasionally get stuck when i turned the key to start. It would continue grinding until i either shut it off and restarted or turned it to the start position again. shuttin git off and starting it again was done once and caused a nasty backfire. (They say this was fixed by repairing a wire -vague at best)

3) The stalls i have just mentioned (The expected "Could not replicate the problem" reply, no action taken)

4) At 1/4 tank my fuel low warning light/chime would activate. At just under 1/4 tank my car would run out of gas. At first i thought the problem was the guage was not accurate but after filling the tank from "EMPTY" (1/4 tank) to "Full" (topped off until i saw gas in my fill tube) I only put in about 11 gallons so I can only assume it doesnt go empty, the jeep just cant reach the last 1/4 tank of fuel. I informed them about this and they still havent figured out the problem.. (We were able to replicate this but our techs are stil trying to figure out the cause)

apparently the first 3 were addressed in the first couple of days. The fuel issue has had my jeep in the dealership for 3 weeks so far and counting, hopefully I get it back soon.

I'm wondering if my #4 problem is actually related to the stalls because I never did look at how much fuel I had when i stalled and earlier posts in this thread mentioned a "Fuel starvation" problem might be the cause.

Hope this info helps out. I am really worried about this issue causing an accident or something in the future and am considering driving one of my other jeeps until its resolved.

take care.
Roy

EDIT:
I put my complaint in.. #10192046
UPDATE:

I just got the jeep back today. the steering wheel is no longer cocked but the other three problems were not resolved. They were unable to verify the starter sticking or the stalls but thought they had fixed the fuel problem.

I got to the car and started it a bunch of times and was able to get the starter to stick about 3 times in front of both the service writer and mechanic. I have to bring the jeep back once i pick up my other jeep which was brought in for an oil change & inspection. When i was leaving I had just between 1/4 - 1/8 of a tank and the low fuel warnings came on after driving about 50 feet. this was also verified by both the mechanic and service writer so at least they now know its not me imagining things. Unfortunately I need all 3 of my jeeps serviced so have to have the other two worked on before being stuck without the jk for god knows how long this time.

The dealership is working with the factory on this so hopefully something gets figured out but i'm not too hopefull. it's not like I can ship my jeep to the factory & say "Keep it till ya figure it out". Not that it would help because judging by the problem being so common they can just grab any wrangler off of the assembly line and use it

>> (They say this was fixed by repairing a wire -vague at best) << This was fictional
Old 06-01-2007, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

Last year we bought our first Jeep - an '06 GC Ltd Hemi and we love it. Since then, we were in Moab and rented an offroad equiped Wrangler and loved driving offroad all day.

Well we got the bug for more offroad stuff and want to add a Rubicon Unlimited to the stable, so started doing research. Found this forum and can't believe the "stall bug" problem. You can expect some minor problems, especially the first year of a new model and in a new facility, but this "stall bug" problem is a bit much. Guess we'll hold off until it's re-engineered - maybe order a later '08 or '09...
Old 06-01-2007, 08:02 PM
JK Newbie

Update: Day 4...
Jk at the dealer, still. They just tell me its still not fixed and if and when they fix it they will call monday. I don't want it the lemon! I wanna one that works!

I sick'd my red headed wife on'm....
I'll have Mrs.Mage tell ya the whole story but she has made over 900 calls to Fed, State agencies..... even the Federal Trade Commission and the networks.

She has gone.... Nook lar

Quick Reply: Another "Stall Bug" Victim