Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another "Stall Bug" Victim

Old 05-23-2007, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I was stopped at a light and had my brake oushed down (automatic sahara JKL).

Light turned green, I pushed the gas and nothing happened except engine rev. I checked the gear, I was in D but still nothing. Turned the car off and back on and it worked fine. It was right ater 2000 miles.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got my first stall today. I pulled up to a gate and stopped, and everything died. It started right up again though. I have a Sahara Unlimited with about 4000 miles on it.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

I had my third happen to me this week.

Driving on the freeway at about 70mph....you know the rest.

Mileage is 9000. Dealer tells me they know nothing about this, but somehow I can't believe that when so many people are having this problem.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:58 AM
JK Freak

Default Stall Bug - second time...

Well, at 7K miles I had what seemed like a second but minor stall last night. If not for seeing some of the idiot lights come on (e.g. airbag, ESP, seatbelt) I am not sure I would have noticed it. I didn't feel any power loss (although I was going slow and may not have been accelerating) and I don't think I noticed the radio going out.

I had gotten over the stall issue because it seemed like it was happening only once to a lot of people and early on in miles - the first one I had was around 2K miles. Seeing surface twice makes me wonder. A week or so ago I thought I felt some rough idling at a stop light but ignored it - figured it could be bad gas or something. But now wonder if there is any connection.

I am sure the dealer will stay say they still havenever heard of such an issue.

(JK is a X/4DR/Auto/Power Group / Dec 2006 build)
Old 05-27-2007, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

Stalled Saturday.

3838 km

JK Diesal Australia. Auto.

Highway 110km/h
March 06 build date.
Same as everyone else. 2 seconds/lost all power and came back on.

At least you know it is not a US Bermuda triangle issue
Old 05-27-2007, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

welp.
Guys... Looks I ALSO get to join the "STALL BUG CLUB".
My Rubi did it to me twice this week. Once during the day, driving straight. First time, All I got was a "ding" from the dash and the *BAS light lit up. I didnt catch the dash lighting up... anyway, I pulled over, shut it off and restarted it. Light stayed on. It went off a few miles later.

two nights ago, we were driving down a back road in Florida on a mercy mission that my wife sent us on.... driving down a hil.
-BING- headlights dimmed, dash lit up like a Christmas tree and the engine bogged... then everything went back to normal.

I wonder.
Did they load Windose software onto these damned ECUs?

Guess I get to make another trip to the dealer.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

We have two 07 unlimited 4wd 4door Sahara's. My son's just had the stall bug experience in the sand at the beach in Hatteras. I wish the heck I knew about the extent of this problem before buying two of these things. My son sat there and got passed by folks driving Lexus SUV's. I am ready to burn them both just for that. I have owned over 15 jeeps and will not stand for this crap.
Has anyone heard of a fix in the works. I smell Daimler benz in this. Their dumb electronic throttle controls killed my 94 and 95 Mercedes vehicles. Coulda used a cable, but no, had to use a freakin computer. Idiots. Yeh, I'm pissed.

Stall event Conditions:
4wd high
10 mph
no external power
full fuel
2800 miles
Symptoms:
In sand
Felt like a shift to neutral
Engine RPM went to 5000 RPM because load was released on it.
Went to 4 low to get unstuck
Check engine light shows up
Went into two wheel drive
Two miles down the road my son went into reverse and had a stall event with lights etc.
Plans:
The check eng lite remains on, every thing seems normal, but with two of these in our stable of daily drivers, I am now somewhat worried. This is a serious safety issue. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow and coming home in the other one.

Shocked and disapointed by Jeep,
Al Seidel
Old 05-29-2007, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

Default stall bug

Al - Please let us know what the fault code was.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Hi Guys,

I too have had this happen to me twice. Once was in a parking lot as I was pulling out of it. I had to shut down and start again to get moving again. This was the first time so didnt notice much other than the jeep shut down on me.

The second time it happened I payed a bit more attention. It happened as i was driving on a road going down-hill. When it happened I was playing my Ipod via the Aux input and also had a GPS plugged into the other socket. All power on my jk just seemed to have left. The dash blinked then shut off, the engine felt like it completely shut off and then immediately started up again and all audio, AC fans, and wipers cut off when it happened.

My jk is a 2-door Sahara and is in the dealership as i write this,

I took it in for the following problems:

1) The steering wheel was cocked (They said an alignment fixed it but I havent gotten the jeep back to verify that)

2) the Starter would occasionally get stuck when i turned the key to start. It would continue grinding until i either shut it off and restarted or turned it to the start position again. shuttin git off and starting it again was done once and caused a nasty backfire. (They say this was fixed by repairing a wire -vague at best)

3) The stalls i have just mentioned (The expected "Could not replicate the problem" reply, no action taken)

4) At 1/4 tank my fuel low warning light/chime would activate. At just under 1/4 tank my car would run out of gas. At first i thought the problem was the guage was not accurate but after filling the tank from "EMPTY" (1/4 tank) to "Full" (topped off until i saw gas in my fill tube) I only put in about 11 gallons so I can only assume it doesnt go empty, the jeep just cant reach the last 1/4 tank of fuel. I informed them about this and they still havent figured out the problem.. (We were able to replicate this but our techs are stil trying to figure out the cause)

apparently the first 3 were addressed in the first couple of days. The fuel issue has had my jeep in the dealership for 3 weeks so far and counting, hopefully I get it back soon.

I'm wondering if my #4 problem is actually related to the stalls because I never did look at how much fuel I had when i stalled and earlier posts in this thread mentioned a "Fuel starvation" problem might be the cause.

Hope this info helps out. I am really worried about this issue causing an accident or something in the future and am considering driving one of my other jeeps until its resolved.

take care.
Roy

EDIT:
I put my complaint in.. #10192046

Last edited by JKinPA; 05-30-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:25 PM
JK Newbie

New JK owner and new Stall Bug Member...

Just bought X 4dr (Monday) May 28th, 14 miles on her.
It has stalled several times, shes at the dealer, again.

I don't wanna drive anything else.... I hope and pray they can fix it.

Update: Still at the dealer day 3. (Had in possession for 10 hours!!!)
Dealer said they are fixing it and rebooting the computer so it should be ready tomorrow. I dont want this particular JK any more! I have no confidence in it. I have asked them to find another JK and I'll take it that, no responce.
I have to drop it off to the dealer two more times for the same issue before I can invoke the Lemon law. I don't wanna deal with that crap either!
I just want to trust my Jeep!!!!!

Last edited by Mage; 05-31-2007 at 03:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Another "Stall Bug" Victim