Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another "Stall Bug" Victim

Old 05-15-2007, 03:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stalled for the first time today. 6k miles with an auto. Driving 55, lasted about 1-2 seconds and then all was normal.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stall bug strikes again

Well it seems that the stall bug has found yet another victim, im from NYC made a trip down to myrtle beach, one night while driving along rte 17N i noticed a sudden drop in power, dash lights come on radio off and i step on gas car goes, the whole thing was over in no more than a second....... should i even bother to bring it in, seems that noone can figure it out...has anyone found out the cause of this problem?????
Old 05-16-2007, 09:12 AM
JK Freak

mine "only" stalled once so far. Took it to the dealer taday and they found nothing and said they never heard of this happening before. We need to get the service dept. to join this forum.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

2nd time for me- was trying to overtake an 18 wheeler and when I was turning into his lane- The BUG Came on- Scared the sh*t out of me and the Air Horns from the truck let me know to take action.

WTF?!?! Bringing back to dealer 2nd time for this next week.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Yet another stall bug victim

WOW, this has never happened before. I mean I think it has 2-3 times in parking lots and no it wasn't my slipping the clutch that caused it then.

I was coming home from Pigeon Forge, TN on highway 321 going about 55mph just steady goin along. And then the radio blacked out, all dash lights came on and the engine died. Scared the crap outta me. Its never done it like that before. Pulled over and checked under the hood for any loose wires, burnt wires or anything out of the ordinary. Nothin'. I tell ya what that crap is scary. Imagine what it would have been like if I'd have been on the interstate doing 70mph in the thick of traffic!

I hope it doesn't do it again but I'm afraid if it become a regular thing I will just get rid of my JK. I can't have that.

I have a November build 06. 6 speed, two door. Damn Chrysler!!
Old 05-21-2007, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

Default What TSB

What is the TSB that everyone is taking to the dealer? Do you have a link?
Old 05-22-2007, 04:46 AM
JK Newbie

Default Possible Solution - Fingers Crossed

My Unlimited Sahara has been in to the dealer three times for a "light" version of the stall bug. I "only" stalled out once at highway speed, but I would get a frequent drop in power, followed by a steady Electronic Throttle Control light on the dash. (Six-speed, not sure about build date, but I ordered it and took delivery at the end of January.)

Dealer tried replacing an electronic control module first - made no difference.

Replaced the throttle body on the second visit - worked fine for about 500 miles before the same symptoms returned.

Third visit - an engineer from DC told my dealer's mechanic that the throttle body wiring harness has connectors that may have been damaged during quality control testing at the plant. It took a couple of days for a new harness to arrive (they were suddenly on back-order), but so far so good. We're at about 300 miles since the last service. Not out of the woods yet, but I'm optimistic.

Not sure if this is a final fix or if the engineer from Jeep was just blowing smoke, but if your dealer is scratching his head over this It might be worth mentioning.

Andy Gill
Fairfield, CT
Old 05-22-2007, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

It has happened to the wife 5 times now. We are taking to dealer today, called dealer yesterday and they acted like we were stupid (they had never heard of such a thing) . I printed the TSB off this website and am taking that in as well. We'll see what they say.....
Old 05-22-2007, 07:35 AM
JK Newbie

Default What website?

Originally Posted by spye
It has happened to the wife 5 times now. We are taking to dealer today, called dealer yesterday and they acted like we were stupid (they had never heard of such a thing) . I printed the TSB off this website and am taking that in as well. We'll see what they say.....
What website is this TSB on? I looked on the Project JK site but did not see anything for a Stall bug.

Do you have the URL?

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Me too after 11,400 miles

Happened when it was new, got the flash and has not happened for almost 11,000 miles. Was going about 35 mph and stall bug hit for a split second, everything died and dash lights all flashed, jerked, then came back to life. Interesting fact is that I am running a Unichip so it is something mechanical like a loose connection or it is a problem deeply imbedded in the basic programming of the computer. I also run a Scangauge II and it showed no codes or anything odd. Hope someone finds the answer!
Jim

Quick Reply: Another "Stall Bug" Victim