Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another "Stall Bug" Victim

Old 05-03-2007, 07:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jetsfan28
OK, so for what it is worth, the NHTSA has opened an investigation on the Commander for very similar complaints:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...p_pontiac.html

Guess you missed the thread above (#111). I'm hoping that they add the Wrangler to the investigation so we can get to the bottom of this issue.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by instantclogger
When i first got my jeep i could have swore that when i got to a certain speed all the doors would automatically lock but then one day i noticed that they weren't doing it. I looked in the manual and there wasn't anything in there about it. Then i started wondering if i had lost my mind and just imagined it. Well, when i left the service dept. yesterday, guess what, the doors automatically locked when i got up to speed. I called the service dept. and told them my experience with the locks and they said that the computer is either programmed to do or not and it must have lost the memory sometime after i got it. I'm so excited!
you must have misssed that section of the manual - it tells you that you can take it to your service department to get it disabled. but even easier than that, some smart jeeper figured out how to do it on his own and that procedure (among others) is all over this forum

personally, i left the auto door locks on, but disabled the alarm "squawk" on arm and set it so that when i exit the the jeep, all doors unlock.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by superboo
you must have misssed that section of the manual - it tells you that you can take it to your service department to get it disabled. but even easier than that, some smart jeeper figured out how to do it on his own and that procedure (among others) is all over this forum

personally, i left the auto door locks on, but disabled the alarm "squawk" on arm and set it so that when i exit the the jeep, all doors unlock.
this happened not too long after i got it and that has been over 3 months ago. at the time i didn't know that this forum existed and until i left the service dept. last week i hadn't even thought about the door locks. besides that, i wouldn't have been looking for how to disable it since I didn't want it disabled, it just stopped working and not long after that was when i started having the ignition issue. Both problems were fixed when they replaced the TIPM. It hasn't stalled again either but it's only been a week so only time will tell regarding that issue.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:39 PM
JK Freak

The bug bit me today, about 2,600 miles, auto, no power group.
On my way to work just went around a bend going about 30-35 mph slightly down hill. The radio went out engine died, dash lit up, i let off the gas and it was over ( maybe 2 seconds at the most). It was in drive (of course) but it never vibrated or shook. Not sure about power brakes or steering going out.
Luckily i knew about this bug ( thanks forum members ) as soon as the radio went out i looked at the dash and it started itself back up.
Off to the dealer.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I get to join the club-- was in a parking lot last night, was in the middle of a turn (5 mph?) and the Jeep stalled out, same symptoms as what others are saying. Started right back up.

Mileage: 8000 approx.
Automatic transmission
Manual windows/locks
Radio on, moderate volume
Headlights on
AC off

I'll be mentioning this to my dealer when they get my jeep to fix the damage they did when rotating my tires (another story). And this will be something I take my Jeep to a new dealer to, as I'm firing my current dealership.

Once I do that, I'll be filing with the NHTSA.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

I'm between jeeps right now, have had 3 TJ's, looking for some real info on the JK from real drivers, Thinking about putting the $$ down on the new model. But the stall bug sounds very familiar. In 2001 bought a brand new dodge dakota with five speed and 4.7 L engine, always had a slight rough idle. Developed stalling under much the same circumstances as the JK stall bug, it got dangerous. Dealer was great but DC wouldn't let them do anything. No codes or check engine lights so no fix. Went to arbitration, since we thought it was a lemon, ruled against us, factory rep horrible, remarked that "he hated to come to arbitrations, they cut into his market shares". Finally traded truck, couldn't live with probs. Despite this learned later stall was possibly due to lean condition caused by ECM programmed too lean to meet emission standards for the model year. But then this was the first year for the 4.7 engine. Hope this helps with possible cause.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Stalled today for the first time.
Sitting at a stoplight with A/C, radio, no lights.

6k miles, Auto, Aug06 build.

Calling NHTSA and DC tomorrow.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:22 AM
JK Newbie

Default stall bug

Another stall bugger, here. 07 Wrangler, 2dr, 6 spd, 6000K. 60 mph on the highway and the whole car shuts down for about a second. Called a local dealer who said to bring it in, he's never heard of such a problem!
Old 05-14-2007, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jhtolatc
Okay...I'm not sure how much it would matter if it's a fuel starvation problem (I'm not the most mechanically inclined), but...

I see a few people have said they had a quarter-tank or less of fuel remaining when this happened. Has anyone had this happen with your fuel gauge at over 1/2 full?
I am now a member of the Stall Bug Club. I had 50 miles on a tank of gas, my needle was still on F when this happened.

75 MPH on the NYS Thruway with the family. Ugh...

Last edited by NYRacBaller; 05-17-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I finally found the forum, and as my pittance for joining I have submitted my complaint to NHTSA. It's really too bad that my first post hast to be concerning this stalling issue.

It happened to me on the way home from the stealer Saturday, I was there to get some other work done. I was driving 75mph on the freeway, and it was like I suddenly turned the key off, then on. I have an AT, but when the engine came back up after 1-2 seconds there was no corresponding lurch, as I had let off the gas. I will say though, suddenly having now power assist to the brakes and steering at 75mph on the highway is not a pleasant feeling.

I have not brough this to the dealer yet, as I am looking for a new dealer to take it to, and am doing my research first. Long story, but I'll never go back to the stealer I bought my JK from.

Info: JK Unlimited X, power package, trailer group, AT.

Quick Reply: Another "Stall Bug" Victim