Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another "Stall Bug" Victim

Old 04-25-2007, 08:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are all this built the same month or something like that,,it will be intersting to see the date when this jeeps were built,,.

just got mine yesterday,,so will it happend ,,maybe yes . maybe not ,,defenetly something to be informed on.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

Add another to the list.

Late Nov 2006/ Early Dec 2006 build date

4 Door Rubi 6 speed w power everything.

Wife had it happen @ freeway speeds when letting off the gas at about 5100 miles.

Jason
Old 04-27-2007, 07:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mwilkie
Just got back from the dealership. No TSB currently available for my Jeep.
No scan codes either. The tech went through all the fuses to make sure they were not any wiggling around and also made sure that all the ground wires were tight....
As dunslider said, if they can't see it they can't fix it.
One of the service writers did metion that these computers learn as they go along and when they are new sometimes have problems....
anyone heard that before?

On the good side...new seals for the hardtop and no more leaks....

Marc
2dr Sahara Black
I just read that in JK magazine last night (about the computor learning as it goes).
Old 04-27-2007, 08:08 AM
JK Freak

Yep, read that as well. Said that the computer takes up to 800 miles to "learn" your driving style. Seems the engine really tends to pick up after that point.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

Default Keep your fingers crossed!

Originally Posted by instantclogger
Well, my jk has 6,000 miles on it and has stalled a couple of times and i've also been having the ignition "noise" problem that i've seen on other threads, although i've had the ignition thing happen regardless whether it's cold or not.

I took it to the dealer yesterday and of course it didn't show any codes when they ran the tests on the system. They said that it was the TIPM (Totally Intergrated Power Module) that was the cause of both problems per S.T.A.R. Information. They ordered the part and i am taking it in Friday.

I will keep you updated on what happens from there.

They replaced the TIPM yesterday and all of my software is up to date. I asked them if this is the fix for the stall issue or an attempt at it. They said that it should fix it and that DC had been working on it and this was a very recent fix. I don't know if they were just blowing smoke or not. We'll see. Only time will tell. It did fix something that i was wondering about. When i first got my jeep i could have swore that when i got to a certain speed all the doors would automatically lock but then one day i noticed that they weren't doing it. I looked in the manual and there wasn't anything in there about it. Then i started wondering if i had lost my mind and just imagined it. Well, when i left the service dept. yesterday, guess what, the doors automatically locked when i got up to speed. I called the service dept. and told them my experience with the locks and they said that the computer is either programmed to do or not and it must have lost the memory sometime after i got it. I'm so excited!

I will keep you up-to-date if i have anymore problems. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

mine did this w/ less than 1000 miles on it. the motor didn't shut off but i was driving back roads @ night. i lost lights, steering, & brakes for 2-5 seconds. not a big deal but in a tight turn or higher speed or under breaking it could have been bad. as i said everything shut down other than the motor then everything lit up and returned to normal function. it has not happened since. i got mine on saint pat's day.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:21 AM
KDW
JK Newbie

Took mine to the dealer on Friday, around 2:00 they had it ready. They said they replaced the ignition switch. They also said that they have seen this before on other jeeps (did not go into detail). Hopefully this will fix it???? It seems to happen every 2-3k miles. Maybe I should just treat it as my service engine / oil change notification.

Has anyone else had their ignition switch replaced? If so have you stalled since?
Old 04-30-2007, 02:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by instantclogger
They replaced the TIPM yesterday and all of my software is up to date. I asked them if this is the fix for the stall issue or an attempt at it. They said that it should fix it and that DC had been working on it and this was a very recent fix. I don't know if they were just blowing smoke or not. We'll see. Only time will tell. It did fix something that i was wondering about. When i first got my jeep i could have swore that when i got to a certain speed all the doors would automatically lock but then one day i noticed that they weren't doing it. I looked in the manual and there wasn't anything in there about it. Then i started wondering if i had lost my mind and just imagined it. Well, when i left the service dept. yesterday, guess what, the doors automatically locked when i got up to speed. I called the service dept. and told them my experience with the locks and they said that the computer is either programmed to do or not and it must have lost the memory sometime after i got it. I'm so excited!

I will keep you up-to-date if i have anymore problems. Keep your fingers crossed.
Sounds like the same thing they just did to mine. Mine stalled about a week and a half ago. We also noticed that after the stall, the automatic door locking feature quit working. They replaced a module today, and now the doors are locking again once you hit a certain speed (I think 15mph). I'm not sure if it was the TIPM they replaced, but it was a "module" to do with the security system. I will have to look at the paperwork. They seemed to think that it could have caused the stall. Only time will tell, but I'm glad to hear that my dealer came up with the same fix as your dealer. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Old 04-30-2007, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default stall #4

I've had my jeep for about 7 months now and my wife said it stalled on her again yesterday. it has about 13000 miles on it now. going highway speed about 70 mph. it shut down for about 3 seconds and then came back. took it to the dealer last month, they said we were the first that have had this problem at their dealership and haven't heard of anything like it anywhere else. They couldn't find anything wrong and said if it did it again bring it back and they would drive it around for a day try to find out anything. Um......yea it's happened 4 times in 13000 miles do they think its going to just take a day. thinking about calling around and see what other dealers say.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:02 PM
JK Freak

OK, so for what it is worth, the NHTSA has opened an investigation on the Commander for very similar complaints:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...p_pontiac.html

Quick Reply: Another "Stall Bug" Victim