Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another "Stall Bug" Victim

Old 04-13-2007, 05:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DebnJohn
Had my first "Stall Bug" experience last Friday while driving downhill around a curve on a narrow 2-lane. Thank goodness I was only doing about 30mph. First thing I noticed was the wheel hard to turn. Within ~3-4 seconds I had it in neutral, restarted w/ key, and kept going. Didn't even slow down.
Yesterday I had it in to the dealer to get the speedometer adjusted and told them about the stall. Of course, there were no error codes saved, so they couldn't do anything about it but report it to DC. The service guy told me they were working on several Liberty's for a similiar/same problem.

I remember 2 other vehicles I have had with similiar "stall" issues.
I had a 1982 Nissan 200sx that would intermittently stall on a long drive. When I let it cool down by the side of the road for ~5-10 minutes, it would start back up and keep running fine for several weeks before stalling again at some inopportune time. That problem was fixed when the ECM was replaced.
My wife drives a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer that stalled once when it was 3 months old on a 4-wd road out at Big Bend NP. But after cooling down, restarted and ran til we got it home and to a local dealer. They did a "flash" and it ran fine for several years without stalling again. Just this past year, it has stalled a couple times near home but when it was cold.
The Trailblazer was another first-model-year vehicle, but the Nissan was not. The Nissan was the only "reliable" foreign car I have and ever will own.

Sure hoping DC gets the problem(s) resolved before long. They DO know they have a problem and it WILL hurt sales.
Please call, write or e-mail the NHTSA (NHTSA.org) and report your problem. Based on DC's response to other issues, it would be surprising if they did anything about this without Govt. intervention.

Pretty scary to be suddenly without power steering isn't it? Happened to me twice so far.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stall Bug

Another one for the books here i guess, I'm kinda glad it wasn't just mine. Scary for sure, Had my Wife and twin one year olds' with me.

I'm going to the Nhtsa Web site next to post there.

Any fixes for this yet, My wife drives this thing to work.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

Just happened to me again for the third time. I posted to the NHTSA web site under engine and cooling - engine area. Hopefully they will put the squeeze on DC.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Default It happened to me today!

The stall bug hit me today. I was waiting at a red light when I felt a slight shudder and the engine died. All of the dash lights came on, then went off. It didn't re-start on it's own. I shifted to park and restarted the engine. I have 3200 miles on mine. It was built in October. I am totally bummed, especially since there doesn't seem to be a fix at this point.:sad:
Old 04-22-2007, 03:02 PM
JK Newbie

Default Well it happened.... DAMNIT!!!

I was cruising along at about 50mph. Felt a shudder/buck and looked down at the instrument panel to find all the idiots lights illuminated. I instantly knew what it was. Of course the lights went out and the power was restored after about 1-2 seconds. I continued along my way with no drop in speed. Although I was in a slight corner and did venture into the lane to my left due to the sudden loss of power steering. Could have been an issue had a vehicle been there.

It was funny as this was the first time it happened but after hearing so many people with this issue it was almost expected. It wasn't a matter of "if" it will happen to my jeep but "when" it will happen (BTW I'm at 2600 miles, Oct 06 build date, manual trans). Hopefully DC will find the mystery fix to this. I agree with bringing this to NHTSA's attention as they can push DC harder for an investigation into this and/or recall if nessesary.

But until then I'm still loving the jeep. This is my third and IMHO they keep getting better. Maybe DC decided to develope a little software bug to add to the adventure - a "fake breakdown indicator" perhaps??

Last edited by Yeti; 04-22-2007 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Similar issue with Commander

Check out my thread at:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/stall-bug-poll-6930/

I discovered that the NHTSA has an open investigation regarding a "Stall Bug" in the Jeep Commander. It sounds identical to the issue we're all experiencing with our JK's. I called the NHTSA to let them know that they had 30 complaints regarding the Wranglers that sounds like the same issue they are currently investigating on the Commander. Hopefully they will take a look and add the Wrangler to the investigation.

If you've experienced the "Stall Bug" and haven't yet filed a complaint with the NHTSA, please take the time to do it.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Question We'll see what happens....

Well, my jk has 6,000 miles on it and has stalled a couple of times and i've also been having the ignition "noise" problem that i've seen on other threads, although i've had the ignition thing happen regardless whether it's cold or not.

I took it to the dealer yesterday and of course it didn't show any codes when they ran the tests on the system. They said that it was the TIPM (Totally Intergrated Power Module) that was the cause of both problems per S.T.A.R. Information. They ordered the part and i am taking it in Friday.

I will keep you updated on what happens from there.

Has anyone else had this same part replaced in trying to fix these problems?
Old 04-24-2007, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

Default Stall Bug

Hi All,

I am very new to this- we just bought a JK on Saturday, it "stalled" out 4 times on the 500 mile delivery drive- radio went off, all the lights came back on, but the engine did not shut off completely. The next morning, our Jeep wouldn't start- we had to get it towed to our local dealership (we didn't buy it there). The start problem triggered the check engine light, so they cleared the codes out and say it is ready to go.

They had another complaint regarding the "stall" so now they are researching it more.

FYI- My husband called DC- they said it will be put down as an isolated incident unless everyone that has the problem calls them.

We have a 20 mile commute on a road that gets nasty in the winter time- so we are a little nervous!
Old 04-25-2007, 06:51 AM
KDW
JK Newbie

Default Second stall

I had my second stall today. At freeway speeds. I guess it will take someone getting killed before anything gets done.

If this has happened to you please get it to the delear and let them document it and tell you that they can not re-create and that there is nothing they can do. Call the NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236. Have your VIN and mileage ready. That way if you are involved in an accident and God forbid kill yourself or someone else it will be documented that your car had this problem.

There have been lots of complaints on this already. I was informed that it is under investigation. I talked to the rep for a while, they were friendly and very helpful (that is the first time I have ever said that about a government entity ).

Loss of power and control of a vehicle is a SERIOUS issue! It will get resolved one way or the other.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Not yet

I have over 7700 miles on mine and it runs smooth and drives like a dream. I now am very concerned though because it sounds like it can and will happen at any time. I will be checking back on this and let you know if I have a problem. I also have a friend in the service department at the dealer I will ask when i go in for my oil change (every 4000 miles I split the two recomendations). Being a small dealership they may have sold maybe 3 or 4 JKs total versus the volume other dealers have done so they may have never had this complaint.

Quick Reply: Another "Stall Bug" Victim