Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another "Stall Bug" Victim

Old 04-05-2007, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies about the power package folks.

I'm surprised so many did not choose the power group option. It seemed like in the beginning everyone was so excited about finally having power locks. I did not choose the power group but I thought I was a minority.

I've seen enough posts about quirky issues related to the power group I wondered if there was a connection.

Oh well, grasping at nothing I guess.

Beel
Old 04-06-2007, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I think I found something

Although I have not had this issue, I am concerned and would also like to know what the resolution will be.

Here is something that I found interesting but probable has nothing to do with this issue but I though I would throw it out anyway.

I was taking the factory radio out today and testing with an ohm meter the voltages from the factory harness. I found power and ground, but need the ignithion power for some amps. To the right of the 12V power are two more connections. When I was testing these, the gages went nuts just like the description of what happens with the "stall." The engine still runs but all gages light up. Since I was stationary, I did not notice if power steering or brakes went out and wasn't really testing that anyway. I know it is far fetched but this was a really wierd problem.
Note: During my voltage checks and when the gauges/lights all came on, I had only touched the positive lead into the connector and hadn't yet grounded the connection. Simply putting the pos. lead into the connector caused the strange gauge problems.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:30 AM
JK Newbie

Can someone else try this?

I submitted my complaint as well. There should be 14 now.

I had this happen to me again this weekend. There was a very slight hesitation and all the lights flashed. It wasn't as severe as the first time that it happened but it was noticable.

I had the radio blasting and the heater going full.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

So i will add myself to the rank of stall bug complaints

Saturday night about midnight doing 45 mph on my way home the radio goes out and the lights and there is a loss of power so i let of the gas. Everything comes back on including every light on the dash and then i press the accel to get moving again before i get run over but it was as if the jeep was not in gear

Jeep info:
2 door X
Auto Trans
Crankwindow/manual locks
Headlights on, radio on (not loud) and heater on low fan setting
Been driving 10 minutes maybe

I called the dealer today about it and because my jeep was made 11/30 and not 11/06 as the last re call date they have no updates and have not heard of this problem yet
Old 04-09-2007, 01:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. T
Actually had it at the dealership over the weekend. Stopped in to schedule the ABS flash, as per the recall, and brought up the stall bug issue. I got a somewhat hostile explanation from the chick at the desk stating that if it doesn't happen in front of a tech, they won't do anything. They basically made it sound like I was trying to put a fast one by them. I tried to softly explain that it isn't just me and that there were a bunch of us with the issue, and she claimed ignorance and told me it needs to happen in front of a tech since no codes register.

Now how in the hell am I supposed to "make this happen"? If I had any control over it, I wouldn't let it happen at all! It is totally random. Either way, I go back in on Saturday, and will try my luck with the chaps in the garage area, since this pirate hooker was obviously not in the mood to hear anything from anyone.
Call DC to complain immediately. All the dealers seem to have the same response, "can't duplicate". The implication is that you must be nuts. Also post your experience on the NHTSA website. If enough of us complain the government will force DC to address the problem since this is a serious safety issue. Until then, DC corporate policy seems to be to ignore the complaint.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

This thing has hit me three times already - all 3 while waiting at a red light.

Now there is another problem - wife is driving it now a days and red "throttle control" light came on - she says she feels a small jerk in the engine right when it lights up
anybody had this happen?
Old 04-09-2007, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nickc
got mine back today, and they say they "found" a wire pin connector for the throttle body loose.
This is the second time i took it to them
The mechanic contacted the factory directly and they said they have been working on this problem for 6 weeks, and they told him to order the pin unit but go through the old one first. he found one pin sticking out pretty loose so all he did was bend the female end so that it fit tighter and now "it is tight, it wont wiggle loose"

It drove fine today but i guess time will tell.

a few pages back
Old 04-11-2007, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jk-bol
This thing has hit me three times already - all 3 while waiting at a red light.

Now there is another problem - wife is driving it now a days and red "throttle control" light came on - she says she feels a small jerk in the engine right when it lights up
anybody had this happen?
Has happened to me several times. I have had it in for service twice and the first time they replaced the powertrain control module and the second time a throttle pedal sensor. Still does it. I'm going in this Saturday to have a "talk" with someone because they sold it to me this way. It was a demo and the ETC light was coming on when one of the dealer dudes was driving it (he admitted it finally).

Either it does it while driving and you feel a little buck, or it does it at a red light and dies. Starts right back up though.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Called the NHTSA today and filed my complaint. So far, they only have 17 other complaints on the JK. When you read them from their website, they all say approximately the same thing (stall issues), BUT they are listed under several different categories. If NHTSA "keeps score" by category nothing is ever going to come of this since we won't be able to "run up the numbers".

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE, if you have this problem, call, write or e-mail NHTSA and make sure the category your complaint gets filed under is "Engine and Cooling System". That category seems to be the closest fit and has several stall complaints already.

Unfortunately, it seems like this is the only way we are going to get DC's attention. Thanks in advance everybody.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

Had my first "Stall Bug" experience last Friday while driving downhill around a curve on a narrow 2-lane. Thank goodness I was only doing about 30mph. First thing I noticed was the wheel hard to turn. Within ~3-4 seconds I had it in neutral, restarted w/ key, and kept going. Didn't even slow down.
Yesterday I had it in to the dealer to get the speedometer adjusted and told them about the stall. Of course, there were no error codes saved, so they couldn't do anything about it but report it to DC. The service guy told me they were working on several Liberty's for a similiar/same problem.

I remember 2 other vehicles I have had with similiar "stall" issues.
I had a 1982 Nissan 200sx that would intermittently stall on a long drive. When I let it cool down by the side of the road for ~5-10 minutes, it would start back up and keep running fine for several weeks before stalling again at some inopportune time. That problem was fixed when the ECM was replaced.
My wife drives a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer that stalled once when it was 3 months old on a 4-wd road out at Big Bend NP. But after cooling down, restarted and ran til we got it home and to a local dealer. They did a "flash" and it ran fine for several years without stalling again. Just this past year, it has stalled a couple times near home but when it was cold.
The Trailblazer was another first-model-year vehicle, but the Nissan was not. The Nissan was the only "reliable" foreign car I have and ever will own.

Sure hoping DC gets the problem(s) resolved before long. They DO know they have a problem and it WILL hurt sales.

Quick Reply: Another "Stall Bug" Victim