Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another "Stall Bug" Victim

Old 01-29-2007, 02:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another "Stall Bug" Victim

I know there are other treads on this topic, but I wanted to start yet another in order to keep it front and center on people's minds. The stall bug struck today as I was driving home from work. As I was turning left and just cleared the intersection, the radio blacked out and all the dash lights came on. The motor never died, but it was like the trans (I have an auto with 2500 miles) slipped into neutral. It only lasted a second, but really freaked me out. I will be printing the TSB and taking it in to the dealer as soon as possible. My concern is that others who have had this issue, have still had this problem after being serviced. Does anyone have any further information on this?

Last edited by wayoflife; 03-15-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

like you said, others with auto transmissions have had this issue, even after having the flash done. i am worried that there is a larger problem with the auto transmission aside from software issues.

i had what started out as a slipping/shifting problem, but eventually had the check engine light come on (after the 4th or 5th time slipping) and ended up needing to have the transmission rebuilt.

any chance your check engine light is on? it might be worthwhile to have your OBD scanned to see if there are any pending codes (codes stored, but not enough to illuminate the MIL). you can get it scanned quickly and for free at autozone.

keep us updated, and good luck!
Old 01-29-2007, 03:30 PM
JK Jedi Master

I have a 6 speed and had the flash done.. its done it once since...

Its going back in to have it checked out again..
Old 01-29-2007, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am taking mine in tomorrow. I called today and they were more than accommodating about bringing it in. The service writer I spoke to said to come by right now if I wanted. i was already at work so I couldn't. I am going to have them scan and see if there are any error codes along with them doing the flash.
I will let you know what they say.

Marc
2dr black Sahara w/ auto tranny
Old 01-30-2007, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

please let us know
Old 01-30-2007, 06:04 PM
JK Freak

When they scanned mine they said it didn't bring up any codes. They basically said if there are no codes there is no problem.

Mine hasn't done it since that first time, and I really hope it doesn't happen again. Mine hit around the 3000 mile mark, what about all yours?

Bryan
Old 01-30-2007, 06:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No TSB

Just got back from the dealership. No TSB currently available for my Jeep.
No scan codes either. The tech went through all the fuses to make sure they were not any wiggling around and also made sure that all the ground wires were tight....
As dunslider said, if they can't see it they can't fix it.
One of the service writers did metion that these computers learn as they go along and when they are new sometimes have problems....
anyone heard that before?

On the good side...new seals for the hardtop and no more leaks....

Marc
2dr Sahara Black
Old 01-31-2007, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

I had this happen on a 6 speed, but not yet on my automatic. I guess my point is that I dont think this is transmission-specific at all but more of a software issue.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:31 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sponge
I had this happen on a 6 speed, but not yet on my automatic. I guess my point is that I dont think this is transmission-specific at all but more of a software issue.
Well, i can verify beyond any shadow of a doubt that it does happen on the automatics.

I have the shortstains to prove it.

I was traveling Northbound across this bridge, on the downhill side In HEAVY rushhour traffic:

Which Is this wide:

when "blip"

All the lights came on, all the lights went out, the battery light came on... and the Jeep shut off. completely

Nothing.

No power brakes.

No power Steering.

No nothing.

You couldna put a pin up my a$$ with a sledgehammer for about an hour after THAT little thrill ride.

someone is going to end up getting hurt.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 01-31-2007 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Well, i can verify beyond any shadow of a doubt that it does happen on the automatics.

I have the shortstains to prove it.

I was traveling Northbound across this bridge, on the downhill side In HEAVY rushhour traffic:

Which Is this wide:

when "blip"

All the lights came on, all the lights went out, the battery light came on... and the Jeep shut off. completely

Nothing.

No power brakes.

No power Steering.

No nothing.

You couldna put a pin up my a$$ with a sledgehammer for about an hour after THAT little thrill ride.

someone is going to end up getting hurt.

How long did you not have power - 1 second or more than that?

Quick Reply: Another "Stall Bug" Victim