Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Another "rained on for the first time" question

Old 07-31-2014, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another "rained on for the first time" question

hi folks

2013 with 9k miles. basically stock jku, manual transmission.

had top up but all 3 rear windows out. heavy rain for about 10 mins.

dried the rear out in garage. went to start jeep next morning, no power at all (no dash lights, power locks, etc)

prior, the jeep has been behaving perfectly fine in every regard.

put a booster pack on battery, and immediately dash lights, door open chime, etc start up immediately. didn't bother starting vehicle but I expect it would have fired right up.

put battery on charger, dead as a doornail.

now, when i had left the jeep to dry out initially, i had definitely left the key in ignition - but definitely in the "off" position. not sure if i left a dome light or something on, but even if I had, the battery was totally dead within about 12 hours - and i would expect the battery to have enough juice to at least turn on the dash lights and radio.

my charger is not professional grade but it is a sears diehard, I'd think it to be superior to something like black & decker. it did not report a fault with the battery.

my question is whether the rain could have caused a short somewhere to the rear of the vehicle that would have caused rapid battery drain? and is so, thoughts on likely place for this to have occurred?

the electrical plug that is used for the hard top was exposed; would that be likely?

really the only spots that saw quite a bit if water were the carpet on the sides of the tub and the backs of the rear seats. I have a rubber floor mat thingy for the trunk floor.

thanks for any help, I just want to avoid killing the battery again if there are telltale places to look before reconnecting the battery.

jb
Old 07-31-2014, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Had my 13' jk wet form rain plenty of times. Never had any problems
Old 07-31-2014, 01:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by justinjbaron
hi folks 2013 with 9k miles. basically stock jku, manual transmission. had top up but all 3 rear windows out. heavy rain for about 10 mins. dried the rear out in garage. went to start jeep next morning, no power at all (no dash lights, power locks, etc) prior, the jeep has been behaving perfectly fine in every regard. put a booster pack on battery, and immediately dash lights, door open chime, etc start up immediately. didn't bother starting vehicle but I expect it would have fired right up. put battery on charger, dead as a doornail. now, when i had left the jeep to dry out initially, i had definitely left the key in ignition - but definitely in the "off" position. not sure if i left a dome light or something on, but even if I had, the battery was totally dead within about 12 hours - and i would expect the battery to have enough juice to at least turn on the dash lights and radio. my charger is not professional grade but it is a sears diehard, I'd think it to be superior to something like black & decker. it did not report a fault with the battery. my question is whether the rain could have caused a short somewhere to the rear of the vehicle that would have caused rapid battery drain? and is so, thoughts on likely place for this to have occurred? the electrical plug that is used for the hard top was exposed; would that be likely? really the only spots that saw quite a bit if water were the carpet on the sides of the tub and the backs of the rear seats. I have a rubber floor mat thingy for the trunk floor. thanks for any help, I just want to avoid killing the battery again if there are telltale places to look before reconnecting the battery. jb
Another good reason why I never take my hard top off.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:34 PM
JK Freak

Old 07-31-2014, 01:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could just be a coincidence that it rained but possible your battery is bad. Do you have a local auto parts store that can properly load test it for you?

Other thoughts would be the possibility of the electrical connections/switch inside the rear tailgate. These control the dome light and power lock (if you have that option).
Old 07-31-2014, 03:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a coincidence that it died after it rained. And why would you never take your top off? That's one of the main selling point and benefits of owning a jeep. Buy a hummer instead

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 07-31-2014, 09:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by fultonromero12
Just a coincidence that it died after it rained. And why would you never take your top off? That's one of the main selling point and benefits of owning a jeep. Buy a hummer instead Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Amen.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:01 AM
JK Newbie

thanks for the responses.

but hey now guys, I never said I never take the top off. I just put the top up to protect myself against some solid thunderstorms in the area the other day.

I will check out the integrity of the battery and give a look into the tailgate.

have a nice weekend
Old 08-01-2014, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he's talking to Macman about the top/hummer
Old 08-02-2014, 06:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Macman1138
I can not understand why a person pays so much for a vehicle to never fully enjoy what it has to offer. Owns a Rubicon that probably has never been off road and clearly never had the top off. Why wouldn't you buy a Hummer or a Toyota. Just embarrassing
I hope your jeep starts up I have had mine wet very often and never had problems

Quick Reply: Another "rained on for the first time" question